CRAMBA: Bloomer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bloomer

Postby keving98 » May 24th, 2015, 10:19 pm

If someone comes up with the geotextile I'll do the rest.

From the U.S. Forest Service Trail Construction and Maintenance Notebook:

Rock Underdrains

Rock underdrains (often called French drains) are ditches filled with gravel. They can be used to drain a spring or seep running across the trail. Wrap the gravel with geotextile to help prevent silt from clogging the rock voids. Start with larger pieces of rock and gravel at the bottom, topping off with smaller aggregate (figure 39). Finish the drain with 150 millimeters (6 inches) of tread material so that the surface matches the rest of the trail.

Figure 39--Wrapping rock underdrains with geotextile helps prevent them from
clogging. Rock underdrains are used to drain low-flow springs and seeps.
keving98

Postby bergsteiger » June 2nd, 2015, 9:47 pm

was out doing work today. Got the fallen tree just into the single track after the rail road grade. Thanks to Rick for stopping and helping get that monster cut and cleared.
I also worked on some drains for the muddy spots I ran into. It was also nice to talk to Paul an Keith out there too.

While I did not get to walk the whole trail, what I saw was surprisingly OK already. There will be some muddy spots so if you ride, please go straight through them.
I walked the upper ridge, areas by the switchbacks by the sledding hill, the switchbacks before the tech loop and a bit of the single track between the Railroad grade heading up towards the cricket field. I was also out taking some measurements of that one wet turn in the big switchbacks. That spot is currently the worst I saw, and quite mucky.
bergsteiger

Postby BK big fish » July 2nd, 2015, 9:03 am

Thanks Eric, another tree down west of 12. BK
BK big fish

Postby Exodus » July 20th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Thanks Steve, can always count on you for a fast reply!
Exodus

Postby Trance » January 3rd, 2017, 8:33 am

Rode from the parking lot to the lung buster yesterday, Monday 1/2/17, it was mostly dry, some slick spots and some ice/snow. it has rained since, so it'll be wet now. There is a big tree down in there, its a big'un and will need a chainsaw.
Trance

Postby BK big fish » March 11th, 2017, 7:09 am

Lots of trees down, otherwise trail is good. BK
BK big fish

Postby BK big fish » March 25th, 2017, 8:00 am

No trees down. Trail is too soft to ride (IMO) and many mud spots. Lots of deep ruts everywhere, it's going to be a bumpy ride with skinny tire bikes. BK
BK big fish

Postby Amsone » March 27th, 2017, 8:30 am

BK big fish wrote:No trees down. Trail is too soft to ride (IMO) and many mud spots. Lots of deep ruts everywhere, it's going to be a bumpy ride with skinny tire bikes. BK

Can the trail be rideable on Wednesday? I need to get out and start the season immediately!

Anyone rode on Sunday? How was the trail conditions?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't think...Try all!
Amsone

Postby c0nsumer » March 27th, 2017, 8:41 am

Amsone wrote:Can the trail be rideable on Wednesday? I need to get out and start the season immediately!

My thumb-in-the-air opinion is a big, fat maybe but likely not good. It's been raining a lot in the area, other trails are wet, and Bloomer isn't exactly known for being one of the first to dry out.

River Bends -- a couple miles away -- was reported yesterday (Sunday) as completely swampy.

The higher elevation stuff at Stony might be okay... Maybe... But I'd suggest having paved contingency plans if you're really itching to ride.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Amsone » March 27th, 2017, 5:22 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
Amsone wrote:Can the trail be rideable on Wednesday? I need to get out and start the season immediately!

My thumb-in-the-air opinion is a big, fat maybe but likely not good. It's been raining a lot in the area, other trails are wet, and Bloomer isn't exactly known for being one of the first to dry out.

River Bends -- a couple miles away -- was reported yesterday (Sunday) as completely swampy.

The higher elevation stuff at Stony might be okay... Maybe... But I'd suggest having paved contingency plans if you're really itching to ride.

Thanks...Then, I'll keep dreaming on riding, or go to a spinning class (so boring).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't think...Try all!
Amsone

Postby BK big fish » March 30th, 2017, 8:36 am

Bloomer still had some large muddy spots Wednesday. The large switch backs are not ready to ride, lots of ruts. I don't recommend riding Bloomer and now it's raining. IMO trail won't be ready this week end either. BK
BK big fish

Postby flamingo » April 11th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Any updates on the condition of the trail?
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby BK big fish » April 12th, 2017, 7:00 am

YES, large switchbacks are blocked by 3 trees, lower sections are muddy, higher sections are ok, not worth the trip IMO. I would avoid for a while longer. BK
BK big fish

Postby flamingo » April 12th, 2017, 9:00 am

Thanks. Looks like loots of trails in the area are not in good shape. Spring thaw became spring flood.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby BK big fish » April 13th, 2017, 11:21 am

Bloomer is getting there. Report is 90% ride able. The TC is planning on heading out soon to check out the massive trees down in the big switchbacks. Just in time for this weekends storms. BK
BK big fish

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions