MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby IronMike » October 8th, 2019, 8:30 pm

All clear and fast this afternoon.

Leaves are starting to cover small sections of the trail. That usually means no more PR's for me this year!
IronMike

Postby vas » November 10th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Looks like someone cleared the winter loop from all the leaves... I don’t it helps the trail. It instead makes it easier for ruts to form I believe.
vas

Postby chisbang » November 10th, 2019, 8:15 pm

vas wrote:Looks like someone cleared the winter loop from all the leaves... I don’t it helps the trail. It instead makes it easier for ruts to form I believe.

That was me and the point is to expose the ground so it freezes faster. The snow sticks to the ground better than loose leaves. The loose leaves trap moisture. If we get enough snow we will be running the groomer this season. Leaves also trap moisture in the spring making it take longer for the trail to dry out.
Don Chisholm
McMBA Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury Hermit; keeping an eye on the trail
chisbang@gmail.com
chisbang

Postby vas » November 11th, 2019, 12:35 pm

chisbang wrote:
vas wrote:Looks like someone cleared the winter loop from all the leaves... I don’t it helps the trail. It instead makes it easier for ruts to form I believe.

That was me and the point is to expose the ground so it freezes faster. The snow sticks to the ground better than loose leaves. The loose leaves trap moisture. If we get enough snow we will be running the groomer this season. Leaves also trap moisture in the spring making it take longer for the trail to dry out.

Makes sense! Thanks! Excited about the groomer!
vas

Postby vas » November 12th, 2019, 7:52 pm

So I saw that part of the trail was groomed and it was great! What’s the plan for the rest of the trail? Will it be all groomed eventually?

Thanks!!
vas

Postby Mattwings » November 15th, 2019, 7:49 am

Any tire size restrictions in the winter? I rode it last night on my 29+ and wasnt breaking through where iw was packed by other bikes.
Mattwings

Postby jreyst » November 15th, 2019, 11:08 am

No real restrictions except be aware of what you're doing to the trail. Don't ride when the ground isn't frozen or else you're going to tear it up and then when it freezes it will be very dangerous for other riders.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2016 Giant Trance 3
Winter: 2018 Specialized Fatboy
Backup: 2007 Giant Trance I
jreyst

Postby bender13 » November 15th, 2019, 12:55 pm

I don't believe there are any official restrictions, but just use good judgement. I believe they are only grooming half of the trail, so I would try to stick to 4 inch or more when groomed. Anything less than 4, I would stick to the un-groomed section. A groomed trail will eventually compress and harden (or even turn to ice), at that point as long as you are not sinking in, it should be fine. You may need studs at that point, so be careful.
Trails-Edge Racing
National Mountain Bike Patrol
bender13

Postby chisbang » November 15th, 2019, 7:27 pm

vas wrote:So I saw that part of the trail was groomed and it was great! What’s the plan for the rest of the trail? Will it be all groomed eventually?

Thanks!!

The goal is to groom as much as possible, but.... the groomer is a beast to use and it wore me out before I could finish. They took it out to Proud Lake and groomed a bunch there too. Any body has time, any help grooming would be appreciated. Rode the winter loop today and it rocked. Big fun.
Don Chisholm
chisbang@gmail.com
chisbang

Postby Mattwings » November 17th, 2019, 5:43 pm

I am not sure how the groomer works, but I would be happy to try and help. I rode this morning with my 2.8”x29 studded tires and actually made the entire loop without any trouble. It was pretty fun even!
Mattwings

Postby chisbang » November 17th, 2019, 7:27 pm

This is what we have: https://snowdog.com/products/item/SB13MER with the single track attachment. Now we went until it snows more. Rode whole trail this morning and it was great but starting to break up from the higher temps.
Don Chisholm
chisbang@gmail.com
chisbang

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions