MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby tagheuer02 » April 13th, 2020, 9:09 pm

I rode this past Sat and can confirm lots of wrong way hikers.

TICK ALERT. I got a nasty tick bite. I ride a 29er large pretty high up and dont stop. I had 2 layers on too.

Got home to shower and had a big nasty tick burrowing into my chest. Ugh.

Friendly reminder: Check your clothes etc.
tagheuer02

Postby chisbang » April 15th, 2020, 6:59 am

There are signs at both trail heads asking hikers to yield to bikers and to hike against bike traffic. I have added 20 additional markers on the yellow trail blazes indicating which way to hike. Feel free to POLITELY inform hikers of this arrangement.
Don Chisholm
McMBA Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury Hermit; keeping an eye on the trail
chisbang@gmail.com
chisbang

Postby crustaceous_flora » April 15th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Zombies can't read.
crustaceous_flora

Postby mjbl » April 16th, 2020, 8:37 am

If no more precip, when do you (anybody) think Maybury will be acceptable to ride?
I was there a few weeks ago and it was awesome.
Thank you,
Mike in Waterford
Wake up happy.
mjbl

Postby chisbang » April 16th, 2020, 12:42 pm

mjbl wrote:If no more precip, when do you (anybody) think Maybury will be acceptable to ride?
I was there a few weeks ago and it was awesome.
Thank you,
Mike in Waterford

It was greasy with a few puddles but rideable today. If we get the predicted snow tomorrow that will spoil thing for a few days.
Don Chisholm
chisbang@gmail.com
chisbang

Postby mjbl » April 17th, 2020, 11:21 am

It's coming down now, thx.
No riding there for a few more days at best.
Wake up happy.
mjbl

Postby Mattwings » April 18th, 2020, 5:19 pm

I just got done riding. Any mud was easily avoided. Idiots, not so much. One guy passed me (I made him wait until I could get at least 6ft from the trail). 1/4 mile later, he is down, smashed into a bunch of rocks and obviously was at least disoriented. He was riding with another guy who said he would wait for him. Doubtful they were from the same household, people like that will get the trails closed. Next, two idiots building a “trail feature”. Again, no distancing, jumping onto the trail and sessioning backwards on the trail. I should have passed on riding today, but tomorrow may be wet and it’s my birthday, so I may not want to ride tomorrow. Please be safe and thoughtful out there!
Mattwings

Postby chisbang » April 18th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Mattwings wrote:I just got done riding. Any mud was easily avoided. Idiots, not so much. One guy passed me (I made him wait until I could get at least 6ft from the trail). 1/4 mile later, he is down, smashed into a bunch of rocks and obviously was at least disoriented. He was riding with another guy who said he would wait for him. Doubtful they were from the same household, people like that will get the trails closed. Next, two idiots building a “trail feature”. Again, no distancing, jumping onto the trail and sessioning backwards on the trail. I should have passed on riding today, but tomorrow may be wet and it’s my birthday, so I may not want to ride tomorrow. Please be safe and thoughtful out there!

Those idiots were vandalizing a trail feature we started building. If you see them again let me know and maybe get a photo.
Don Chisholm
chisbang@gmail.com
chisbang

Postby bentmettle » April 18th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Mattwings wrote: Next, two idiots building a “trail feature”. Again, no distancing, jumping onto the trail and sessioning backwards on the trail. I should have passed on riding today, but tomorrow may be wet and it’s my birthday, so I may not want to ride tomorrow. Please be safe and thoughtful out there!

Said energetic but ultimately uninformed enthusiasts moved a lot of rock out of the existing rockpile Don and I were working with.

Instead of being able to finish the ramp over the rock today, my GF and I spent about half hour putting the rocks and cut logs back to where they need to go,so ultimately it worked against planned progress.

The energy is great, but the implementation was misguided. All of the TC's have contact info on the chapter webpage for folks with feature ideas or that want to help and be involved more actively.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
/\/\att |3ushore
bentmettle

Postby steveracer » April 19th, 2020, 7:39 pm

There is a lot of bandit activity going on all over the trail system. Maybury. Tree Farm. Hick.

Sent from device. Excuse eras.
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby jreyst » April 19th, 2020, 8:57 pm

A lot of people with a lot of free time...
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2020 Giant Trance 3 29er
Winter: 2018 Specialized Fatboy
Backup: 2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
jreyst

Postby Mattwings » April 20th, 2020, 10:35 am

I will keep my eyes out. I would normally have at least had a conversation, but since they were clearly already not practicing any rational caution in terms of social distancing (or anything else), I did not want to be any closer than I already was. I did take the opportunity to point out to several others, that the trails were one way and why it was beneficial to follow the "hiking against bike flow" recommendations. Another note, please move well off the trail if waiting to be passed and hold back, announce your intention to pass if overtaking other riders. Twice I have been passed on narrow up hill sections of trail. Moving on our bikes, heavier breathing and exertion increase the distance we need to employ, to be safe from sharing CV-19.
Mattwings

Postby chisbang » April 20th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Trail is in awesome condition today. Hope tonight's rain is not too severe. Thanks to Chuck the drain commissioner for taking care of those puddles.
Don Chisholm
chisbang@gmail.com
chisbang

Postby Mattwings » April 24th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Rode last night with a few puddles. Overall trail was great and Zombie free.
Mattwings

Postby chisbang » April 24th, 2020, 12:51 pm

Still greazy with puddles this morning but they are drying up. Should be great by tomorrow morning, and then...
Don Chisholm
chisbang@gmail.com
chisbang

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions