MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby crustaceous_flora » June 5th, 2020, 7:14 am

Go ride Island Lake, Hines, or Green Loop at DTE if you're scared of splitting those trees.
crustaceous_flora

Postby Hail2Victors » June 5th, 2020, 8:23 am

crustaceous_flora wrote:Go ride Island Lake, Hines, or Green Loop at DTE if you're scared of splitting those trees.

Build a trail in your backyard if you are going to be the trail police. Seriously dude... I ask my kids the same question all the time, "Who do we worry about?" "ourselves"

Go ride Poto... and put logs on all the cheater lines there too.

It would actually be nice if you took all this energy you have in trying to ruin people's good time and funneled it into trail maintenance and help all of these people have a good time on the trail. The trails are free, on public land. Before you yell, "get off my lawn" you might want to actually realize it isn't your lawn.
Hail2Victors

Postby Boogs182 » June 5th, 2020, 10:30 am

I have been riding Maybury since early 90’s - Trail has changed dramatically since then... agree - cheater lines are perfectly ok - just don’t change the previous lines...and don’t be a d*%k to change the hard work put in out by MMBA team.
Boogs182

Postby chisbang » June 5th, 2020, 11:24 am

crustaceous_flora wrote:What's up with the cheater line going around the two trees on that fast section? I'm not a coordinator, but I'm blocking that off next time i go. I run 800mm bars and fly between those two trees at full speed. If you can't make it between those trees, maybe you should ride the paved path instead.

Lots of the trail features at Maybury have easier options. We have to make the trail rideable for people of all skill levels.
Don Chisholm
McMBA Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury Hermit; keeping an eye on the trail
chisbang@gmail.com
chisbang

Postby b_b » June 5th, 2020, 12:03 pm

Are we talking about the line that evolved to the left of the leaning tree a few years back?

Although I didn't hate the right line I was always uncomfortable I was going to wack my head or shoulder on the leaning tree.

I don't mind the new line after the horse farm entrance before the climb as I felt the old line was a momentum killer.
b_b

Postby crustaceous_flora » June 5th, 2020, 12:30 pm

This is why the majority of SE MI trails are a joke compared to everywhere else I've ridden both in state and in the country. Jerry Jr can't even ride between two trees because he's scared, and Jerry Sr is defending him vehemently
crustaceous_flora

Postby crustaceous_flora » June 5th, 2020, 12:45 pm

b_b wrote:Are we talking about the line that evolved to the left of the leaning tree a few years back?

Although I didn't hate the right line I was always uncomfortable I was going to wack my head or shoulder on the leaning tree.

I don't mind the new line after the horse farm entrance before the climb as I felt the old line was a momentum killer.

No, I'm referring to the fast field goal tree split. Full gas through those, always.
crustaceous_flora

Postby b_b » June 5th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Oh yeah now I remember I saw that Monday shortly before the horse farm entrance. Lakeview and Riverview have developed numerous new lines cutting off corners around trees and generally just straightening out the trail.
b_b

Postby steveracer » June 5th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Hail2Victors wrote:
crustaceous_flora wrote:Go ride Island Lake, Hines, or Green Loop at DTE if you're scared of splitting those trees.

Build a trail in your backyard if you are going to be the trail police. Seriously dude... I ask my kids the same question all the time, "Who do we worry about?" "ourselves"

Go ride Poto... and put logs on all the cheater lines there too.

It would actually be nice if you took all this energy you have in trying to ruin people's good time and funneled it into trail maintenance and help all of these people have a good time on the trail. The trails are free, on public land. Before you yell, "get off my lawn" you might want to actually realize it isn't your lawn.
I read this to say to these “newbies” quit straight ing the trail and support the TC and the trail’s character.

I was at IL today. Might be completely leveled and paved next time I ride there in a few weeks. And that’s ok? That’s not MTB that’s lazy ass biking.

Sent from device. Excuse eras.
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby b_b » June 9th, 2020, 2:13 pm

steveracer wrote:I was at IL today. Might be completely leveled and paved next time I ride there in a few weeks. And that’s ok? That’s not MTB that’s lazy ass biking.

If you don't feel like lazy ass biking then go ride Highland!!! :mrgreen:
I ride them both and yeah IL when I don't feel like thinking much.
You can still make it a good workout just pedal harder!
b_b

Postby crustaceous_flora » June 10th, 2020, 11:53 am

The paved roads by my house are more challenging than Island Lake
crustaceous_flora

Postby steveracer » June 10th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Gimme a break. I was closer to IL than my home and was pacing a paid to work conference call and hitting the trail ON MY WAY home. So it worked out for me and got in a “free” ride

I also like Highland. And for an old man like myself I should be on one of those throttle controlled motor bikes y’all talkin about. LOFL.

Sent from device. Excuse eras.
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby Hail2Victors » June 10th, 2020, 7:25 pm

I just like to ride my bike. I feel pretty lucky to have so many trails in SE Michigan.
Hail2Victors

Postby bender13 » June 11th, 2020, 8:47 am

There is a new line developing to bypass the initial drop at Sherpa's Chute. It bypasses the top, heads to the left and enters the trail at the rock. We may want to look at that section and ensure it is following a sustainable path and if not correct.

We have had tons of new riders with the current situation and in my book, it is a great thing. I am not going to tell a new rider that lives near Maybury that they should go to another trail if it is too difficult. We should try to educate and encourage new riders to walk difficult sections instead of riding around. We should also consider ensuring easier options are available when it makes sense. If difficult areas are built correctly, they will allow for progression and pretty soon your noob will be hitting the difficult lines (and complaining about other noobs).

I think many of us have been riding so long that we forget what it was like when we were just starting in the sport. I was always telling people that Maybury was a beginner friendly trail because that is how I considered it. I took some friends new to the sport to ride and realized how difficult Maybury can be from a beginner perspective. Just because there is an easier line, does not mean you have to take it.

Jeff
bender13

Postby jreyst » June 11th, 2020, 8:58 am

yeah I took a buddy there several years ago for his first ride because *at that time* I thought it was relatively beginner-friendly. After the first couple hills he literally never mountain biked again. I really screwed up by under-estimating how hard it can be for a real beginner. I have yet to convince him to try some other easier trails.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2020 Giant Trance 3 29er
Winter: 2018 Specialized Fatboy
Backup: 2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
jreyst

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions