MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby Hail2Victors » June 11th, 2020, 9:44 am

bender13 wrote:There is a new line developing to bypass the initial drop at Sherpa's Chute. It bypasses the top, heads to the left and enters the trail at the rock. We may want to look at that section and ensure it is following a sustainable path and if not correct.

We have had tons of new riders with the current situation and in my book, it is a great thing. I am not going to tell a new rider that lives near Maybury that they should go to another trail if it is too difficult. We should try to educate and encourage new riders to walk difficult sections instead of riding around. We should also consider ensuring easier options are available when it makes sense. If difficult areas are built correctly, they will allow for progression and pretty soon your noob will be hitting the difficult lines (and complaining about other noobs).

I think many of us have been riding so long that we forget what it was like when we were just starting in the sport. I was always telling people that Maybury was a beginner friendly trail because that is how I considered it. I took some friends new to the sport to ride and realized how difficult Maybury can be from a beginner perspective. Just because there is an easier line, does not mean you have to take it.

Jeff

jreyst wrote:yeah I took a buddy there several years ago for his first ride because *at that time* I thought it was relatively beginner-friendly. After the first couple hills he literally never mountain biked again. I really screwed up by under-estimating how hard it can be for a real beginner. I have yet to convince him to try some other easier trails.

I totally agree. I was a little annoyed by how crowded trails have been when the quarantine started, but I was also totally encouraged. We all start somewhere. I saw 2 people riding maybury on cruisers with baskets on the front of their bikes.

I learned at Maybury, and I remember how challenging it was for me as a beginner. I also took some noobs there before, and they did NOT like it. They still ride, but I don't think they have been to Maybury. I am not comfortable taking my kids there yet. I take them to Island Lake. I started riding there because it is super close to home and the office. I go ride at lunch time fairly often. I have seen new lines form, but I don't take them and I am not going to let it ruin my day or my ride. Every year, every trail I ride, I see new lines. This is not a new thing that just started happening. It did happen more quickly this year though.
Hail2Victors

Postby c0nsumer » June 11th, 2020, 9:45 am

bender13 wrote:I was always telling people that Maybury was a beginner friendly trail because that is how I considered it. I took some friends new to the sport to ride and realized how difficult Maybury can be from a beginner perspective. Just because there is an easier line, does not mean you have to take it.

Jeff

When the common word around here is that "SE MI has no real mountain biking, everything is super easy and dull and boring" and this gets to new riders... it causes exactly this.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby steveracer » June 11th, 2020, 10:25 am

Maybury was my first Mtb experience in about 2000. On my cast iron bike. It was not discouraging at all.

Not everyone is a Mensa member. Nor an Nfl starting quarterback. Some of us can’t weld very well, nor can we compete let alone make it to the tv series on jeopardy.

There are paved paths near 8 mile by all of those new houses. Should I start riding on peoples lawns and through their flower gardens because I don’t like the direction of the paved path?

Sent from device. Excuse eras.
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby Hail2Victors » June 11th, 2020, 10:52 am

steveracer wrote:Maybury was my first Mtb experience in about 2000. On my cast iron bike. It was not discouraging at all.

Not everyone is a Mensa member. Nor an Nfl starting quarterback. Some of us can’t weld very well, nor can we compete let alone make it to the tv series on jeopardy.

There are paved paths near 8 mile by all of those new houses. Should I start riding on peoples lawns and through their flower gardens because I don’t like the direction of the paved path?

nah. Just throw some logs in the flower gardens and find a forum of a bunch of people who stay on the paved path and whine about it.
Hail2Victors

Postby steveracer » June 11th, 2020, 11:01 am

Hail2Victors wrote:
nah. Just throw some logs in the flower gardens and find a forum of a bunch of people who stay on the paved path and whine about it.
Lol!

Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby Hail2Victors » June 11th, 2020, 11:17 am

steveracer wrote:
Hail2Victors wrote:
Lol!

I'm glad you took that as a joke. I can be a d**k sometimes. But, I meant it in good fun. Honestly, sure I understand the point of the state of our trails. And sure, I don't want to see new lines, which is why I try and take new riders with me and help them learn. But, not everyone gets educated when they start. I also made some mistakes when I first started, and luckily I had some good friends educate me.

I enjoy the MTB community because it is a welcoming community and we have a lot of fun on and off our bikes.
Hail2Victors

Postby crustaceous_flora » June 11th, 2020, 2:48 pm

The people defending the cheater lines probably can't even sub 30 this trail while taking the hard lines
crustaceous_flora

Postby Boogs182 » June 11th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Not many people can sub 30 Maybury ... it does not matter how fast you are - my PR is 31:53 - a very small % are sub 30. Why are you so butt hurt about cheater lines ???
Boogs182

Postby Boogs182 » June 11th, 2020, 2:57 pm

steveracer wrote:
Hail2Victors wrote:
Lol!

How was the trail today with rain yesterday ?
Boogs182

Postby bender13 » June 11th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Boogs182 wrote:
steveracer wrote:
Hail2Victors wrote:
Lol!

How was the trail today with rain yesterday ?

Heard it was in good shape, some puddles and 3 trees down.
bender13

Postby Hail2Victors » June 11th, 2020, 3:29 pm

crustaceous_flora wrote:The people defending the cheater lines probably can't even sub 30 this trail while taking the hard lines

Well of the 3500 PR's on Strava, 169 have done sub 30. There are a lot of people who hit Maybury because they enjoy mountain biking.

Congratulations, you're fast. No one cares.
Hail2Victors

Postby crustaceous_flora » June 11th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Imagine defending cheater lines when modern mountain biking geometry (low, long, slack) and advancements in suspension technology/kinemetics have made riding far easier and more comfortable than ever before, subsequently sanitizing already sanitized trails.
crustaceous_flora

Postby 2Old2BFast » June 12th, 2020, 7:42 am

Since your continuing rant has nothing to do with trail conditions, please take it to viewtopic.php?f=1&t=146230 instead.
Facts can be proven to be true. Opinions are what you choose to believe. Don't confuse your opinions with facts. 8)
2Old2BFast

Postby Mattwings » June 12th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Trail was great last night with 1 tree down about mile 4.5? Don was out there, apperantly can't cut a 50ft. tree off the trail by himself? :) You could ride under it, but it made me pause and duck under while I walked.
Mattwings

Postby 2Old2BFast » June 13th, 2020, 5:03 pm

The tree is gone. (Thank you Chisbang :D ).

The trail is very dry -- not quite summer conditions, but getting there fast.
Facts can be proven to be true. Opinions are what you choose to believe. Don't confuse your opinions with facts. 8)
2Old2BFast

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions