MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby chisbang » July 6th, 2018, 10:39 am

2Old2BFast wrote:A couple of small puddles here and there, with three medium sized ones and a bit of mud right before and after Mile 2.

I was specifically looking for missing roots, and the only thing I saw was the one on the initial climb from the trail head that had been discussed at length this spring. As I recall, the general consensus was that it just rotted out, which is what it looked like to me.

That was actually a fallen tree I think. It definitely rotted away and deteriorated with the help of bike traffic.
Don Chisholm
McMBA Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury Hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

Postby DRC » July 8th, 2018, 7:33 pm

chisbang wrote:
DRC wrote:Maybury has been in great shape and THANK YOU to whoever has been trimming.

I wish whoever has been chopping out roots would focus their efforts on trimming instead.

I rode Saturday and Sunday and didn't notice any missing roots. Where is this happening?

Sorry for the delay Don, I'm not on the board much. I apologize as my post was a little misleading. I didn't mean that the missing roots were just recent. In fact, the most recent one I have noticed goes back a couple weeks. The loss of roots in general has been happening over the past couple seasons. It would be a waste of time for me to try and type an exact location description - if we were together on the trail, I could point them out one at a time. However, in general terms there are a couple in the 3rd segment or south west portion of the trail, the obvious one at the new entrance climb (although as noted that sounds non-intentional), top of the downhill where the old trail splits to the new reroute, segment 2 where there are 2 banked sweeping right handers - the second right hander is missing a bunch or roots, segment 2 before you get to the road crossing there is a chicane style quick left right that used to have 2 roots across the line and then just after the start of the winter loop where the trail rolls up and down at the top of one of the rolls there used to be a root (this is the most recent).

I'm sure my descriptions mean nothing. I've been 2-3 days a week since moving to Northville 6 years back and I know every rock, root and hole in my preferred line so when any of them are missing, I notice. As I have stated before - I respect the work you do as I know you are working with a purpose and plan in mind. Anything the DNR does has to be respected as they are the land manager but I suspect some of this is the work of someone, albeit with good intentions, who doesn't understand.
DRC

Postby CTB » July 12th, 2018, 9:55 am

I rode the trail on Tuesday, and I understand exactly what you mean. I think I know one of the roots you're describing in your post. I noticed at least two missing roots compared to the last time I rode this year.

The ones that erode/rot don't bother me. But the removal of ones just because they are a challenge or make the route rougher/tougher really bother me. If one wants glass-smooth, there is DTE for that, and several others. Don't take away the challenges for those that like mountain biking. If you have a hardtail, don't take away the rough spots for those of us that have suspensions. I try to participate in trail days when I can to be involved in the decisions, though I did miss the ones this year.

There's one root in particular that is always a challenge to me. This week, it nearly put me off the bike because I screwed up my approach. But I'll never advocate removing it - that stuff is why I ride Maybury. We have lots of trails here - let's not make them all smoother than our roads. Some, sure, but not all.

Anyway, sorry to soapbox, but I do share DRC's view here. Love the trail, hate to see it lose what makes it Maybury.
CTB

Postby chisbang » July 12th, 2018, 10:01 am

I have not removed any roots myself. There have been instances in the past where people have taken it upon themselves to take out trail features at other trails (Tree Farm) and the farmers actually posted signs asking them to stop. That may be the case here. Keep an eye on it post up the locations using the wooden post mile markers as reference.
Don Chisholm
McMBA Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury Hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

Postby IronMike » July 12th, 2018, 11:42 am

I've been riding here for 6 years and saw several favorite obstacles disappear... but gradually due to natural causes like erosion and wear. I see them get a little looser or a bit more worn down until <"poof">. I have not seen any suspicious unsanctioned mods except for those annoying bandit trails.
IronMike

Postby punkrkr27 » July 12th, 2018, 1:56 pm

I ride Maybury pretty much weekly and have seen a few roots disappear this year but none looked to be intentional and all were in spots that have been prone to erosion.
RACING GREYHOUNDS
----------------------------------------
'18 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 1
'14 Fuji Cross 4.0
'15 Framed Minnesota 3.0
'17 Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc
punkrkr27

Postby 2Old2BFast » July 12th, 2018, 2:53 pm

The raspberry bushes are getting very close to the trail right after the trail crosses the black top at the southeast end of the park (7 Mile and Beck). Eating raspberries is delightful, having their branches dragged across your bare arms and legs, not so much.
2Old2BFast

Postby c0nsumer » July 12th, 2018, 3:02 pm

2Old2BFast wrote:The raspberry bushes are getting very close to the trail right after the trail crosses the black top at the southeast end of the park (7 Mile and Beck). Eating raspberries is delightful, having their branches dragged across your bare arms and legs, not so much.

Wait a few days and they'll have fewer thorns.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby DynoDon » July 12th, 2018, 3:34 pm

2Old2BFast wrote:The raspberry bushes are getting very close to the trail right after the trail crosses the black top at the southeast end of the park (7 Mile and Beck). Eating raspberries is delightful, having their branches dragged across your bare arms and legs, not so much.

Just bend them back, they snap real easy, even without gloves, its easier if you have gloves on, pliers, or snips, but not hard to do without gloves either. You may even get some berries to eat,,,All the trails need some help this time of year.
Pay it Forward, just kick some sticks off the trail, better yet pick up some sticks/branches/trash, big sticks become small sticks, small sticks take out rear derailleurs, the derailleur you save may be your own, or mine.
DynoDon

Postby rcab23 » July 13th, 2018, 1:58 pm

very dry and fast
rcab23

Postby 2Old2BFast » July 14th, 2018, 5:38 pm

I live about two miles from Maybury. It just sprinkled enough this afternoon to keep the dust down. Should be great tomorrow morning.
2Old2BFast

Postby 2Old2BFast » July 16th, 2018, 8:55 am

Thank you Don for the brush cutting. :D
2Old2BFast

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions