MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby BLOOMIS914 » September 27th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Trail was pretty good tonight....much needed heavy rain firmed things up. a few small soft spots but nothing major. Major tree has fallen approaching top of 3rd climb - it is leaning at head high 45 degree angle across the triail - heads up. Small baby heads and fist size rocks have multiplied and are everywhere now it seems. I’m spoiled after riding DTE Energy Foundation trail.
"Speed doesn't kill, it is the sudden stop that gets you"
BLOOMIS914

Postby chisbang » September 28th, 2018, 12:58 pm

BLOOMIS914 wrote: Major tree has fallen approaching top of 3rd climb - it is leaning at head high 45 degree angle across the triail - heads up.

GONE. Friday Noon
Don Chisholm
McMBA Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury Hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

Postby IronMike » September 28th, 2018, 5:57 pm

On Wednesday there was a large tree down that blocked the trail in two places. I was able to drag it to the side but its still crowding the trail a bit. It's in the middle of Segment 1 in the wooded series of switchbacks... about 100 feet before the benches and about 200 yards before the trail kiss.

No hurry, it's pretty much cleared.
IronMike

Postby IronMike » October 11th, 2018, 12:17 am

On Wednesday there was a tree leaning across the trail in the middle of Segment 1 in the wooded series of switchbacks. I ducked under it but someone a little faster or a little taller may not be so lucky.
IronMike

Postby chisbang » October 11th, 2018, 6:29 am

IronMike wrote:On Wednesday there was a tree leaning across the trail in the middle of Segment 1 in the wooded series of switchbacks. I ducked under it but someone a little faster or a little taller may not be so lucky.

Thanks, I'll get it Saturday.
Don Chisholm
chisbang

Postby Paul T » October 14th, 2018, 11:53 am

Maybury was in overall good shape this morning with just a few soft spots, but plenty of damp leaves to keep things interesting!
Paul T

Postby mrbikester » October 26th, 2018, 10:41 pm

Trail was absolutely perfect today. Love riding Maybury this time of year. No complaints.
mrbikester

Postby vas » November 8th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Read on FB that “someone hit a tree towards the end of the trail and hurt himself”.... well looks like he came back and cut that tree...a couple of small trees have been chopped right before the end (was that done on purspose?)

Trail great otherwise!
vas

Postby chisbang » November 8th, 2018, 4:44 pm

That was me, trying to improve the flow on that section. Didn't hear of any injuries.
Don Chisholm
chisbang

Postby b_b » November 8th, 2018, 7:52 pm

chisbang wrote:That was me, trying to improve the flow on that section. Didn't hear of any injuries.

If you're referring to the sandy hairpin corner at the bottom of the new trailhead I agree that could be smoothed out. I wonder if the downhill exit could be moved left and/or the hill approach moved over to round off the corner.
b_b

Postby wifehatesthebike » November 9th, 2018, 9:04 am

vas wrote:Read on FB that “someone hit a tree towards the end of the trail and hurt himself”.... well looks like he came back and cut that tree...a couple of small trees have been chopped right before the end (was that done on purspose?)

The rider got hurt just prior to the OLD trailhead. The tree which was cut down on the new stuff was unrelated to the incident. Personally I had no issue with that tree but... :icon_scratch:

Don-
I was curious if some of the changes to make the trail easier are usually "authorized"? For example, the first big climb about 1/2 mile in which had roots to navigate was changed about a month ago to create an outside line (going right of the rocks placed) which is much easier to climb. I hope this was done due to erosion, and not simply to make the hill easier to clear. JMO...
wifehatesthebike

Postby chisbang » November 9th, 2018, 9:34 am

wifehatesthebike wrote:
vas wrote:Read on FB that “someone hit a tree towards the end of the trail and hurt himself”.... well looks like he came back and cut that tree...a couple of small trees have been chopped right before the end (was that done on purspose?)

Don-
I was curious if some of the changes to make the trail easier are usually "authorized"? For example, the first big climb about 1/2 mile in which had roots to navigate was changed about a month ago to create an outside line (going right of the rocks placed) which is much easier to climb. I hope this was done due to erosion, and not simply to make the hill easier to clear. JMO...

Not my doing on that one but I don't mind it.
Don Chisholm
chisbang

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions