Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby sworks88 » June 14th, 2009, 3:39 pm

I rode here today. The trail was decent..but there were some greasy spots. The rain yesterday didnt help anything. There was one hill that was super slick......but some people could still ride it. Great trail!
sworks88

Postby cramer » June 15th, 2009, 11:50 am

donjoses wrote:I'm going to be in Grand Rapids next weekend and I'll have Saturday morning to get in a quick ride. Last time I was in the area I rode Yankee Springs, which was great. Sounds like Cannonsburg SGA has some good trails also. How many miles are there to ride, and is there a place I can get a map? Didn't see anything obvious in this forum. Should I ride Cannonsburg or head back to Yankee Springs? Thanks! Brad

I think it's about 7.5 miles for the main loop, a bit shorter than Yankee however there is another trail just to the north that you can ride to and from on the roads to make a bigger loop, about 19 miles if you follow the roads from the four mile parking lot. There is a slightly shorter way to combine the two trails but it's too hard to explain just to save you a mile or two of road riding. The other trail is Cannonsburg Ski Area.

I think if you've already ridden Yankee, you should give Cannonsburg a try. There is a map to the trailhead in the "trails" section part of this web site but no map of the actual trail. If you look at that map, you should be able to see how you can ride using 4 mile and Egypt Valley road over to the ski area. As for the actual trail map, it's just a simple loop so when you find the parking lot on four mile road, cross the street to the north to start the trail and then just follow it around. There are arrows to help also, There are three times where the trail dumps you out onto dirt roads. You should be able to follow the bike tire tracks on the dirt road until the trail starts again but for reference- the first one you go right up a hill and then left on the new trail again. The second one you go left on the road down a hill and then right on the trail again and on the last dirt road section you turn right on the road, go down a hill and then turn right again to get back on the trail.

Enjoy the ride!

Cramer
cramer

Postby gtrowbridge » June 15th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Why is it there is not a map posted for this trail?
Is it just because no one walked/ridden it with a GPS yet?
Curious because this is such a well used trail that has been around forever.
gtrowbridge

Postby sworks88 » June 15th, 2009, 12:32 pm

Here is one
http://www.michigandnr.com/publications ... ctrail.pdf

here is one from motionbased
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/579728

The distance is longer now...but its the best choice.

Have fun.
sworks88

Postby Bigtymer » June 16th, 2009, 9:59 pm

Rick,
The lightning bend trail in Belding. What you can tell me about this trail. How long is it, and what is it labeled as (advanced, intermediate)?
Bigtymer

Postby RickPlite » June 16th, 2009, 10:21 pm

gtrowbridge wrote:Why is it there is not a map posted for this trail?
Is it just because no one walked/ridden it with a GPS yet?
Curious because this is such a well used trail that has been around forever.

because it isn't done yet. A few edits to make and it will be live.
RickPlite

Postby RickPlite » June 16th, 2009, 10:24 pm

Bigtymer wrote:Rick,
The lightning bend trail in Belding. What you can tell me about this trail. How long is it, and what is it labeled as (advanced, intermediate)?

tow 3 or 4 mile loops of flat and bumpy, twisty terrain. Intermediate. A young Bass River if you will. It needs to be ridden and it will be fun. We are working on a map and site for Lightening Bend in the Forum
RickPlite

Postby Scotty » June 22nd, 2009, 9:49 pm

Rode yesterday. blocked off about 5 or 6 short cuts, all "inside" lines around trees. Is it my imagination or are people going nuts widening trail? Why the F would you shortcut across a simple turn?
Scotty

Postby printenv » June 22nd, 2009, 11:22 pm

No, it isn't your imagination. I have noticed it as well.
printenv

Postby sworks88 » June 23rd, 2009, 6:06 am

Scotty,

In my opinion....there are people that would rather just be lazy....or try to be faster by taking the edges off of the corners. I noticed this at Fort Custer too....there are a few areas where the corners are cut to the inside....for no apparent reason.

Thanks for blocking them off......maybe people will get a hint....or clue...whichever.
sworks88

Postby cramer » June 23rd, 2009, 1:19 pm

Have you guys stopped and looked at the new armored section in the third section? That is going to be super cool when it's done, very solid! We have a trail work day scheduled this Saturday to work on that as well as some other things that need to be done. Here is what I posted to the volunteers section of the message board-
Trail work day at Cannonsburg State Game Area this Saturday, June 27th at 9:00 AM. Meet in the 4 mile parking lot. Lunch to be provided. Bring bug spray, water, and work gloves, other tools will be provided. In addition to regular trail work that needs to be done, we need about 5-6 people that are strong enough and willing to move rocks into place to build the new armored downhill in the 3rd section. Yeah, it will be some lifting but the reward is that you will learn how to properly armor a trail. The way this thing is being built, like the cobblestone roads in Rome, it just might be here a few hundred years after you leave this earth and you can be a part of building it... how cool is that?

cramer

Postby RedGreen » June 24th, 2009, 8:17 pm

Heads up when you ride here, there's a nice size tree down across the trail within the first mile of the first section. It's hop-able, but only if you know what you're doing...
RedGreen

Postby gtrowbridge » June 24th, 2009, 8:38 pm

Cramer, will the trail work interfere with riding on saturday morning?
I have some people from out of town coming up and they were wanting to hit the SGA.
Let me know and if so we'll just plan to go somewhere else.
Thanks.

cramer wrote:Have you guys stopped and looked at the new armored section in the third section? That is going to be super cool when it's done, very solid! We have a trail work day scheduled this Saturday to work on that as well as some other things that need to be done. Here is what I posted to the volunteers section of the message board-
Trail work day at Cannonsburg State Game Area this Saturday, June 27th at 9:00 AM. Meet in the 4 mile parking lot. Lunch to be provided. Bring bug spray, water, and work gloves, other tools will be provided. In addition to regular trail work that needs to be done, we need about 5-6 people that are strong enough and willing to move rocks into place to build the new armored downhill in the 3rd section. Yeah, it will be some lifting but the reward is that you will learn how to properly armor a trail. The way this thing is being built, like the cobblestone roads in Rome, it just might be here a few hundred years after you leave this earth and you can be a part of building it... how cool is that?

gtrowbridge

Postby cramer » June 25th, 2009, 7:19 am

gtrowbridge wrote:Cramer, will the trail work interfere with riding on saturday morning?
I have some people from out of town coming up and they were wanting to hit the SGA.
Thanks.

cramer wrote:Have you guys stopped and looked at the new armored section in the third section? That is going to be super cool when it's done, very solid! We have a trail work day scheduled this Saturday to work on that as well as some other things that need to be done. Here is what I posted to the volunteers section of the message board-

No, it won't interfere with riding at all. Just be sure to shout out some encouragement to the volunteers when you see them!

Cramer
cramer

Postby gtrowbridge » June 25th, 2009, 12:52 pm

Maybe a few cold brews will magically appear as I ride by.

cramer wrote:
gtrowbridge wrote:Cramer, will the trail work interfere with riding on saturday morning?
Thanks.

No, it won't interfere with riding at all. Just be sure to shout out some encouragement to the volunteers when you see them!

Cramer
gtrowbridge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions