Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Todd Scott » June 8th, 2004, 5:36 pm

A little clarification: Some portion of our state game area land is purchased using federal funds collected on the sale of guns, bullets, arrows, and bows. The use of that money is restricted to wildlife protection and wildlife recreation. It seems that many states interpret wildlife recreation differently. We're in the process of collecting more information on this interpretation and should know much more during the next couple months.
Todd Scott

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » June 12th, 2004, 7:13 pm

Little muddy in spots but overall pretty good. :wink: :twisted:
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby KonaGirl » June 22nd, 2004, 5:50 am

Has anyone been out to CSGA recently? I'm dying to tackle the trail, but not at the expense of some addl tire ruts & erosion. :cry: I miss the place!!!
Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but rising every time we fall.
Oliver Goldsmith

Western Chapter Member
KonaGirl

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » June 24th, 2004, 4:36 pm

I did a couple laps at CSG on wed the 23rd, the trail was in great shape very fast go for it Kona Girl. Have Fun :D :) 8) :twisted: :wink:
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby Koz65 » June 30th, 2004, 6:39 am

Be ware of the land mines at the SGA. Someone was nice enough to ride their horse through the trails and leave many mound of Horse SH*$ behind.

KOZ
Koz65

Horses prohibited at game area

Postby John_H » June 30th, 2004, 11:26 am

Just so it's clear - Cannonsburg Game Area is CLOSED TO HORSES. If anyone ever sees any horses out there, feel free to let them know that horses are prohibited out there.
Also, especially if you see any horse trailers out there - mark down the plate numbers and report them to the dnr.
John_H

Postby Koz65 » July 7th, 2004, 9:20 pm

Thanks to whoever did the trail maintenance at the SGA. I rode Monday afternoon and it was wet and rutted. I figured I'd try it again Tuesday night and when I got there I was surprised. Most of the wet ruts were filled in and quite a few other areas were worked on.

Great Job!!!!
Koz65

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » July 19th, 2004, 10:27 pm

Tore through CSGA today(8/15), trail is dry and fast, although the normal sandy spots still require care. Have Fun :D 8) :wink:
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 30th, 2004, 10:31 am

Did a couple laps Sun. the 29th...sand was very loose, I was covered in it, with mud also....After grinding an 1/16th of material off my drivetrain, I couldnt take the sound any more...Otherwise trail is wet but alright.. :)
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby KonaGirl » January 18th, 2005, 3:19 pm

Anybody know when CSGA opens? On the main page of mmba.org it shows Feb 1st, but under the trail guide section it mentions March 1st? Also, I got the impression that last summer the MMBA was not "promoting" the trail due to its condition, in the hopes that a summer off would do the trail some good. Is this correct? And if so, will that be the case this year as well? Unfortunately, it appears that the trail gets worse and worse each year with erosion & widening and the such. I would hate to see the trail get so bad that it was closed permanently. Anybody have any thoughts on that?
Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but rising every time we fall.
Oliver Goldsmith

Western Chapter Member
KonaGirl

Postby mtnbikinbryno » January 18th, 2005, 3:53 pm

As far as I know, the trail opens in February. The problem is, it's not really rideable anyway until April (after the thaw) because the snow is too deep or cross country skiers have tracks down the trails.

As far as the MMBA not promoting it (I don't know if that's true or not), I really don't think that'd do much good. It's a valiant idea and I would take heed, but I think there are so many bikers there who are not MMBA members and don't give a rip about trail preservation.
mtnbikinbryno

Postby Todd Scott » January 18th, 2005, 5:14 pm

It's March 1st. I put the wrong date on the MMBA calendar, which has since been corrected. I apologise for getting folks excited about the trail opening a month ahead of time. :(
Todd Scott

Postby John_H » January 18th, 2005, 8:07 pm

The DNR signs posted out there say: "closed to bicycles sept 15 - jan 31".
John_H

Postby Mike_D » January 18th, 2005, 8:10 pm

John_H wrote:The DNR signs posted out there say: "closed to bicycles sept 15 - jan 31".

Now that's interesting - guess I should read the fine print :?

So, do we have an official ruling???
Mike_D

Postby KonaGirl » January 21st, 2005, 11:53 am

I'm aware of the thaw rule and the worm rule and the mud rule, but I was just anxious about the official opening date. I've considered hiking the trail a few times before it opens to check out how well (or how poorly) the woods survived the winter thus far. And if it is too bad, I might not ride there this year. :cry: :cry: :cry:
And unfortunately, I think you are right. Even if the mmba were to not promote the trail for a summer I'm not sure it would do much good. I wonder if the DNR were to get involved and if we had the ability to "officially" close the trail for a summer it would help though? The thought of the trail closing some day breaks my heart, but it has gotten much worse in the past few years. Is it beyond repair or is still repairable? I worry about some of the spots that have widen so much? We don't want the DNR upset with us because the trail has gotten so bad?
Oliver Goldsmith

Western Chapter Member
KonaGirl

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions