Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Mike_D » January 21st, 2005, 12:01 pm

KonaGirl wrote:I'm aware of the thaw rule and the worm rule and the mud rule, but I was just anxious about the official opening date. I've considered hiking the trail a few times before it opens to check out how well (or how poorly) the woods survived the winter thus far. And if it is too bad, I might not ride there this year. :cry: :cry: :cry:
And unfortunately, I think you are right. Even if the mmba were to not promote the trail for a summer I'm not sure it would do much good. I wonder if the DNR were to get involved and if we had the ability to "officially" close the trail for a summer it would help though? The thought of the trail closing some day breaks my heart, but it has gotten much worse in the past few years. Is it beyond repair or is still repairable? I worry about some of the spots that have widen so much? We don't want the DNR upset with us because the trail has gotten so bad?

The trail is definately repairable, it's questionable in my mind whether the DNR would let us repair it the correct way with some anti-erosion techniques but I'm no expert in this field. This would be a good question to pose to the trail coordinator or John Haffenden or Dennis Murphy here on the forum. I know for a fact that there was at least 1 trail day last year and I had to miss it due to a sick child. Didn't sound like it was a great turnout but there were some areas that were improved tremendously but there still are a lot more areas that need improving. I was out to CSGA about a month ago (hiking) and there were a lot of trees down across the trail.
Mike_D

Postby John_H » January 23rd, 2005, 4:55 pm

The problem with "fixing" the trail out there is that the DNR won't permit any major changes out there. We are only permitted to do brush clearing and minor repairs to the existing trail. To make the trail better, where we wouldn't have to come out and "fix" the trail year after year - requires rerouting the trail to a much more sustainable route. To reroute the trail is almost impossible due to the fact the the land is first and foremost a game area - managed for game hunting, not trails. At one time many years ago the DNR referred to mountain bikers out there as "uninvited guests". Sorry to be a wet rag on this. Believe me, I wish we could do some major work out there.
John_H

Saturday i was out

Postby STEVE LENTNER » January 24th, 2005, 12:22 pm

I rode on Saturday. There is one area of the trail near the end that is very wet and muddy, part of the trail has been rerouted. I think they will need to do more rerouting for the race.
STEVE LENTNER

Postby Todd Scott » January 24th, 2005, 12:52 pm

John is correct about the open date of February 1st. The dates from the old MMBA handbook were incorrect. I'll update the MMBA calendar and trail guide.
Todd Scott

CSGA opening?

Postby Sexly » February 4th, 2005, 12:09 pm

Is it for sure open now?
Sexly

Postby Todd Scott » February 4th, 2005, 12:23 pm

Yes, it opens February 1st, but the DNR asks riders to avoid the trail during the spring thaw.
Todd Scott

Postby John_H » March 28th, 2005, 10:18 am

Still tons of snow out there as of Monday 3-28. Please wait for the snow to melt and the ground to thaw. It's going to be a while to ride out there yet.
John_H

Postby dennismurphy » March 28th, 2005, 8:36 pm

Ditto what John said. Brenden and I walked in from a couple trail heads and the trail has more than a couple inches of iced snow on it in most places. the creek crossing about a half mile from the trial head is a bog right now
dennismurphy

Postby Todd Scott » March 28th, 2005, 10:03 pm

Here's a photo of the trail from John_H:
http://www.mmba.org/gallery/trails/100_1099
Todd Scott

Postby John_H » April 3rd, 2005, 9:35 pm

I checked out parts of the trail tonight. It's getting really close to be all clear to ride, but give it some time if you can. I wish I would of remembered my camera to prove it, but there were still spots of snow/ice on the trail. They were small, but it's out there. Parts are dry and fine, but the typical low spots that are prone to mud year round are pretty gooey. There's been quite a bit of riding out there, but the scars usally heal well.
John_H

Postby Mike_D » April 3rd, 2005, 10:32 pm

Thanks for the post John! After riding Yankee today, I was wondering how far behind EV was. Maybe by the weekend it will be rideable :?: :D
Mike_D

Postby Mike_D » April 5th, 2005, 9:28 am

I rode some clay ridden 2 track by my house today - still what a mess! Some areas were firm enough to ride but other areas that are low or had water standing in them until a couple of days ago were pretty goey. Had to give the bike a good hosing down after this morning's ride. The reason I am posting this is I know Cannonsburg has quite a bit of clay as well so from my research and investigation and in my humble opinion, we def. want to wait at least until this weekend before we get out on those trails. Don't let the nice and dry conditions of Yankee fool ya :wink:
Mike_D

Postby bil » April 5th, 2005, 8:28 pm

as tuesday night it was in really good shape, couple of small bad spots I had four specks of mud on my leg when done with two laps and no need to wash the bike.
bil

Postby Mike_D » April 5th, 2005, 10:04 pm

Are the blowdowns removed from the trail from last fall's storms?
Mike_D

Postby bil » April 5th, 2005, 10:19 pm

ones still there but its been broken down enough to get around it with out stopping and one small 4" bunny hopper log that will hopfully stay there.
bil

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions