Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby dh1 » March 26th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Got a ride at SGA today. Trail is in nice shape. Only a couple small muddy spots that are easily seen and avoided.
dh1

Postby ReidRules18 » March 27th, 2009, 5:59 pm

Rode 2 laps today. The trail is in great shape and is completely rideable. Only one soft spot. It was nice to get in some riding at my favorite local trail.
ReidRules18

Postby Bigtymer » March 27th, 2009, 9:35 pm

How many miles is SGA? The old trail guide use to say it, but the new one doesn't. So anyone know, because I forgot?
Bigtymer

Postby dh1 » March 28th, 2009, 10:05 am

Bigtymer wrote:How many miles is SGA? The old trail guide use to say it, but the new one doesn't. So anyone know, because I forgot?

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/netw ... annonsburg

Just shy of 7 miles around the outer loop.

motionbased is a site that you can upload and save GPS/workout/ride data on. I found this last year when I was playing with my wife's Garmin. You can enter most of our trails in the searchbox on the site and get a GPS map from someone else's ride.
dh1

Postby cramer » April 1st, 2009, 9:35 pm

dh1 wrote:
Bigtymer wrote:How many miles is SGA? The old trail guide use to say it, but the new one doesn't. So anyone know, because I forgot?

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/netw ... annonsburg

Just shy of 7 miles around the outer loop.

motionbased is a site that you can upload and save GPS/workout/ride data on. I found this last year when I was playing with my wife's Garmin. You can enter most of our trails in the searchbox on the site and get a GPS map from someone else's ride.

Not to nitpick but I think it's a little over 7.5 actually, maybe even longer. I remember it being 7.3 or so back in the day and it's gotten longer if anything since then because of re-routes that are longer than the original. Maybe some detail is lost in the GPS readings.

Cramer
cramer

Postby printenv » April 1st, 2009, 11:10 pm

It used to be just shy of 7 miles. However, with some of the new reroutes the mileage is closer to 7.5 - 7.7 miles, at least that is what I am clocking this year. Though my one time around is a little short as I walked part of it due to flats and made some short cuts through the woods.
printenv

Postby jimbobway » April 2nd, 2009, 12:51 am

I too thought it was just over 7 miles before the re-routes, It'd be nice to get an updated calculation. GPS anyone?
jimbobway

Postby dh1 » April 2nd, 2009, 2:17 am

I will take my wife's garmin out next time I roll.
dh1

Postby cramer » April 2nd, 2009, 12:12 pm

dh1 wrote:I will take my wife's garmin out next time I roll.

A properly calibrated bike computer is more accurate for measuring distance IMO. I think GPS systems tend to understate the actual rolling distance when it comes to twisty and uneven terrain.

Cramer
cramer

Postby wingzz » April 6th, 2009, 12:13 pm

Hey guys
I received a nasty email this morning about some trees being cut on private land, I'm going to attache the contents of the emails and please if you know anything about this please contact the land owner and talk to him before he closes the link between the ski area and the game area

Email
Postby tenner42 on Sat 21.03.2009, 08:13 am

I'm planning to hit the trail today with my chainsaw to clean up the big trees that are down. From previous posts it looks like there are a few trees down in section 3. If you know of any others, please give me some direction and I'll take care of it.

SGA, state game area. If I?m reading this correctly. I regularly hunt/walk these lands and I?ve seen the same cuts made on trees on state land trails the same day I found by beach tree cut. Whoever cut these trees cuts them into 3 to 4 foot sections and drags them off the trail. I?m not blaming your organization per say but I feel the actions of one of your members reflects poorly on the group as a whole. Like you said I cannot say (tenner42) was the culprit but his posting and other trees that were cut is proof enough for me. I don?t want to come across as this super *beep* who hates bikers, but I probably already have. Just give it a go in my shoes. Do you want someone in your yard cutting up trees? Here?s what I want here. I know you guys have events through the year that go from SGA to CSA and my land is the only connection between the two without going around the block. If theirs something blocking the trail or whatever give me a call and I?ll get it out of the way myself. That?s all, that?s all I want no cutting or digging. I?ll get some more signs up and you can spread the word. Thanks

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 12:11 PM
To: **
Subject: RE: MMBA Membership Question

I did a search for tenner42 and found the post you were referring to and he was talking about trimming trees at cannonsburg ski area so unless you live on the ski area I dont think it was him
you would be surprised at how many people go out and think they can do whatever they want to a trail, I fight it weekly at Stony creek metropark.
I'm sure it was a biker but we in no means claim to represent every biker out there, we are an advocacy org. and we promote safe and responsible riding and trail maint., that said I will do some asking around to see if anyone knows what happened but I feel you are being very unfair in blaming our organization for this with out any proof, in reality you have no proof it was even a biker but I will take your word on that, again I would recommend putting up a couple of signs stating it is private property and please dont cut the trees
Mike

--- On Mon, 4/6/09, **> wrote:

Subject: RE: MMBA Membership Question
To: wingzz@ameritech.net
Date: Monday, April 6, 2009, 10:18 AM

I do have private property signs up and plan to put up more. I sunk 5 more posts on Saturday, I have never seen one that says (private property do not cut trees) and wouldn?t think one stating just that would be necessary. To answer your question, besides me the only other people on the property are bikers. I did a little research on your sight and noticed that one of your members (tenner42) had a chainsaw out their about the same time this happened. Although I cannot pinpoint this is the person that did this a can confidently say it was a biker. I must have been at work when this happened or I would have confronted the person. Your organization represents Mt. Bikers as a whole, dose it not? I don?t think any old biker without some sort of authority would be allowed on these trails with a chainsaw or even have the balls to do so. Who goes on land, public or private and cuts trees unless you?re the owner?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 9:47 AM
To: **
Subject: Re: MMBA Membership Question

the first question I have to ask is how you know the person that cut the trees was a member of the MMBA?
Maybe you should put up a private property sign that says do not cut the trees
just trying to help
Mike

--- On Mon, 4/6/09, <**> wrote:

Subject: MMBA Membership Question
To: membership@mmba.org
Date: Monday, April 6, 2009, 9:44 AM

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a land owner at <deleted>. And have a piece of land biker?s ride on to connect to 5 mile road. I don?t mind so much if they use this to access the road but someone cut up trees with a chainsaw that were on the bike path on my land. This to me is disrespectful and made me very angry. Also shedding bad light on your organization. If this happens again I will take measures to make sure that no bikers will ever be able to use this land again, and may anyway. I work hard for everything I have and to me this is an invasion of my personal space. Please forward this on to the correct person. <deleted> Thank you <deleted>
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby printenv » April 6th, 2009, 12:54 pm

Has there been communication with him before this concerning biking through his property? If not, we may want look into communicating with him in the way we do with CSA and build a relationship there.
printenv

Postby Slimm » April 6th, 2009, 12:59 pm

I'm relatively new here, but i have to say that the initial reply to this property owner's gripe was probably not the right direction to take this issue. I moved here from Indianapolis and down there there was a local trail that was partially on 'donated' private property. issues like this came up occationally and I can tell you that the 'prove it was us' argument does not fly. If it was me, that would *beep* me off but good.

Sorry if I am coming off harsh being a newb and all, but I have worked on advocacy before and I know how much work it is to gain and keep access.

Someone needs to give this gentleman a call and make this right. Who cares who did it or how it happened, this guy is granting the use of his property to the general public. He needs to know we are on his side.

something along the lines of, "we are very sorry as an organization this happened, and we will do what we can to make sure it does not happen again. On behalf of everyone that rides this trail, thank you for letting us use your land."

I live over that way, sort of. I will call the guy if need be and go survey the damage. Let me know

Slimm
Slimm

Postby Scotty » April 6th, 2009, 2:03 pm

What piece of property is the landowner (above) referring to? There's a spot where the Eygpt Valley (CSGA) trail "connects" to 5 mile. The trail (section 1) comes within 100ft of the road. There's an old connector that pops out on the blacktop road next to a mailbox.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the address the guy gives is for the NORTH side of 5 mile (which would put his property adjacent to or near the C-burg Ski trail. Is he saying he also owns the property across the street (on the south side of 5 mile?)

I would hope that either the Trail Coordinator(s) or Nate P talked directly with the property owner from here on out. There are a lot of people screwing around in the Game Area, dumping trash, poaching, cutting/digging up trees. For all we know this has nothing to do with cyclists and the guy's blaming it on mtbrs because they're the most visible people out there.
Scotty

Postby wingzz » April 6th, 2009, 2:34 pm

if someone that knows the area would call him or email him things could get cleared up pretty easily, I'm on the east side and have never ridden there
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby Slimm » April 6th, 2009, 2:37 pm

There are a lot of people screwing around in the Game Area, dumping trash, poaching, cutting/digging up trees. For all we know this has nothing to do with cyclists and the guy's blaming it on mtbrs because they're the most visible people out there.

yep on all accounts. I think you're probably right that there is a good chance it wasn't a cyclist.

Either way, it can probably be fixed with a little good will and empahty.

sorry again for my rant, I feel better now.

-S
Slimm

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions