Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Scotty » April 16th, 2005, 9:18 am

We began a section of singletrack, running parallel to the beginning two track climb. It doesn't go far, yet. Eventually, it will bring you to the top of the 2 track climb and provide an alternate singletrack start for the loop. It probably won't get used in any of the races.

Once you get to the top of the start hill, you go left. I blocked off the sandy downhill and routed the last bit of trail down to the bottom using what Brent had cut for last year's race. There's a slight reroute up there near the top that I might have to go back and fix, as it's not riding in well.

The ground at Cannonsburg is so sandy that even simple reroutes can sometimes fall apart.

There's a very good chance that by mid summer the loop at the Ski hill could be a mile or more longer than it is now. Stay tuned!
Scotty

Eqypt Valley

Postby Dennis_Pitz » April 25th, 2005, 8:12 am

Did anyone ride the State Game Area over the weekend? I am interested in going out there tonight after work, but I don't really want to get all that muddy. How is the trail?

Dennis.
"The only thing neccessary for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing."
Dennis_Pitz

Postby Crash & Burn » April 26th, 2005, 12:41 am

Dennis, sorry I'm a day late on this. I was at the game area on Sunday and it was a little muddy, but not to bad. The rain & snow made the sand bearable.

Tom
Crash & Burn

Postby Dennis_Pitz » April 26th, 2005, 8:38 am

Tom,

Thanks for the response (even though it was late). Nice to know someone is reading.

I did go out on the trail yesterday evening and had a great ride. The only actual water on the trail was in the first section where the trail crosses the little creek. And that wasn't an issue as they have the plastic mat stretched across it, so you dont sink in. The rest of the track was very nice. Had fun; rode three laps.

Later,

Dennis.
"The only thing neccessary for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing."
Dennis_Pitz

Postby Mike_D » April 26th, 2005, 10:31 pm

Slowpoke and I rode 2 loops tonite - last minute notice or I would have put the word out. The conditions were excellent! The trail is working itself in nice! Thanks to the recent rains (and SNOW :x ) and riders, the sand is packing itself down nicely and there are some nice profound lines running thru the sand.

Get out there and ride :!:
Mike_D

Postby Scotty » April 30th, 2005, 8:11 am

Rode the Game Area last night (4/29/05).

It needs some heavy duty work. People are riding around the water bars at the beginnning of section 4 and seriously eroding and widening that bit of trail.

The rooted down and uphill near the end of section 3 is now a full scale washout. The trail needs to be completely rerouted there.

When is the next scheduled work day? I suggest that when it happens that these two spots get first priority.
Scotty

Postby Guppie » May 12th, 2005, 8:21 pm

I'm really enjoying this trail lately. seems to be in great condition with the exception of one biker who through is McDonalds bag out in the parking lot while leaving. ***beep***
Guppie

directions, please, on where to start the trail.

Postby bheldke » May 31st, 2005, 9:47 am

I rode saturday and wasn't sure where I was and if this was the correct location. Coming from the SE chapter, I didn't know who to ask either. Is the trailhead near the deer registration station by the railroad tracks or somewhere else?

I did ride this trail for a couple of miles, saw several turkeys and some mushroom hunters. I also saw two areas of a lot of illegal dumping of household contents that should be cleaned up.

This trail is near some relatives of mine so I'd like to try it again, armed with a better sense of where the trail begins/ends.
bennie
bheldke

Postby blamp28 » May 31st, 2005, 10:00 am

The official Trail head is on 4 mile road about 3/4 mile east of Egypt Valley on the South Side of the road. The trail begins across the road.
blamp28

Postby Mike_D » June 8th, 2005, 6:23 am

Rode last night. The rain has tamed down the sand a bit but there is lots of it to contend with and the brush is really starting to encroach upon the trail especially right off of Dursom. There is also a new surprise on the trail. Once back on the trail off of 4 mile, shortly after the first small uphill crank (and around the tree) and before the fast downhill, there is a ~8" dia. tree down on the trail to bunnyhop (or beware of some riders dismounting - heard some grumbling about this in the parking lot afterwards last night :D ).
Mike_D

Postby Crash & Burn » June 9th, 2005, 12:49 am

Is there a scheduled trail day here yet? I know the brush needs trimming and like Scotty said the water bars off from 3 mile need work. If the new downed tree is not too much of a problem, I'm all for a good bunnyhop on the trail :D
Crash & Burn

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » June 10th, 2005, 8:10 am

There is a tree down, about a quarter mile into the 3rd section. It's a big tree, flat on the ground. You can hop it, but we might still want to have it removed. Heck, just make it into a logjump!!!!!!
The Motion Initiative
Believers On Mountain Bikes, International
-Our love must be genuine. Hate what is evil, cling to what is good. (Romans 12:9)
2WheeledWarrior

Postby Mike_D » June 14th, 2005, 2:59 pm

Anyone know how hard it rained at CSGA today (Tues.)? Wondering if the trail is soaked and riding tonite is awash (no pun intended). I heard Egypt Valley area got a good soaking but I don't know how long or how hard.
Mike_D

Postby StaceyO » June 15th, 2005, 12:53 pm

mntn-biker - I was there this morning - didn't realize how much rain they had gotten. The trail is VERY muddy in spots. Also w/i the first mile of the trail there is a 3 or 4 inch in dia. leafy branchy (I guess that's what makes a tree :-)) tree across the trail, along w/chunks of logs strewn here and there throughout. It looks like they got hit way harder than in town, those little creeks out there are FULL!!
StaceyO

Cannonsburg Road closed

Postby John_H » July 16th, 2005, 12:20 pm

Just a note to keep in mind for driving to Canonsburg game area - Cannonsburg road is completely closed to traffic just east of Northland Dr/East beltline (bridge over grand river). Open at Chauncey. They are moving Canonsburg Road north, away from the river - more developement at Boulder Creek Golf. Knapp is even busier now than ever.
John_H

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions