Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby Slimm » April 21st, 2010, 3:01 pm

gdlessheathen wrote:...

LOL...I'm not worried about being mistaken for a turkey! But I don't trust that every hunter knows what he or she is doing with their firearm, either.

no worries, a little stray bird shot prolly wouldn't hurt, much :icon_nurse:

-s
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby tbeebe » April 23rd, 2010, 12:22 am

Yeah, just ask *beep* Cheney !
tbeebe

Postby Spitfire168p » April 23rd, 2010, 5:27 pm

Hello everybody,

I have just moved to GR and bought my first Mountain Bike yesterday. First time finishing the trail today, it's amazing! I just wanted to warn everyone that if you see a guy in a red shirt ahead of you just give me a shout and I'll get out of your way!

Thanks for being patient,

Curtis
Spitfire168p

Postby seether » April 23rd, 2010, 5:33 pm

FINALLY got out to the game area after over 2 years and I have to say that there are Massive Improvements to the trail with the reroutes around the bad sand pits and unsustainable fall lines. I appreciated the good flow and the added distance. Nice armoring over the stream too. Many thank yous to the Western Chapter of the MMBA for the improvements. It made it a pleasure to get back on the bike after too many years.

-seth
seether

Postby killercarbon98 » April 27th, 2010, 8:10 am

Hello All!

Well Work Season is here and we will be finishing the Armoring in section 3 over the next week or two. That said I am asking (dont make be beg) for any help I can find. :)
So anyone who can assist please PM, email me or post comment. I have a load of Flag Stone (2 tons!) being delivered on Friday and plan on being out there all day, then working daily as I can fit it in. Will work around other schedules if you can assist. Good chance to learn a little about trail building, Ditch Witch'n, and shed a few of those left over winter LB's!

Best way to contact me is via Email @ chrisingrandrapids@yahoo.com.

A formal work day will be scheduled for MAY 8th, 9 AM. Spread the word. FREE LUNCH! Meet at 3 mile Road Lot at end of section 3.

THANKS,

Chris
killercarbon98

Postby jrshome » April 27th, 2010, 8:36 am

Anyone have a GPS track that I can have for Cannonsburg? I am riding for the first time in Friday.

Thanks
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby spwrozek » April 27th, 2010, 8:49 am

The trail is marked really well. Enjoy it because it is totally bad ass. You going to ride the ski hill and Luton while you are there?
spwrozek

Postby jrshome » April 27th, 2010, 9:09 am

spwrozek wrote:The trail is marked really well. Enjoy it because it is totally bad ass. You going to ride the ski hill and Luton while you are there?

We are riding and scouting the area for the GRAAR adventure race the next morning. Just guessing the MB part of the race will be running through either of Cannonsburg trail systems. Hoping to get some GPS data that I can drop into a topo map
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby Mike_D » April 27th, 2010, 9:35 am

jrshome wrote:Anyone have a GPS track that I can have for Cannonsburg? I am riding for the first time in Friday.

Thanks

Someone else posted this link earlier:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/6069272
Mike_D

Postby cramer » April 27th, 2010, 9:43 am

jrshome wrote:
spwrozek wrote:The trail is marked really well. Enjoy it because it is totally bad ass. You going to ride the ski hill and Luton while you are there?

We are riding and scouting the area for the GRAAR adventure race the next morning. Just guessing the MB part of the race will be running through either of Cannonsburg trail systems. Hoping to get some GPS data that I can drop into a topo map

I doubt it will be in the game area. You typically need some sort of approval from the land manager to hold an event like that and the DNR is extremely unlikely to approve this on game area land.
cramer

Postby jrshome » April 27th, 2010, 10:27 am

Thanks for the link

Hmm, if this is not the spot, then I am stumped. At least by looking at maps of the area. Thanks for the heads up. It just seems so logical by the canoe launch point down river in Ada and we have to carry the bikes in the canoe. This just seems like such a logical place.

Sorry to take this thread of topic. Not being a westsider, just wanted to get some exposure to the terrain in area.
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby cramer » April 27th, 2010, 11:25 am

jrshome wrote:Thanks for the link

Hmm, if this is not the spot, then I am stumped. At least by looking at maps of the area. Thanks for the heads up. It just seems so logical by the canoe launch point down river in Ada and we have to carry the bikes in the canoe. This just seems like such a logical place.

Sorry to take this thread of topic. Not being a westsider, just wanted to get some exposure to the terrain in area.

It could be, it would just surprise me if they didn't ask for permission from the land owner and it would surprise me even more if permission were granted by the land owner. The ski area is only a couple hundred yards to the north as the crow flies and that's private property. There are other trails in the area that are also on private property, like Pando and Camp Roger which is right next to it. These places don't allow biking except for special events. I know they used Camp Roger for the mountain bike portion of an adventure race held by Merrell a couple of years ago.
cramer

Postby burkowitz » April 27th, 2010, 12:31 pm

Anyone hit this trail today?
Expert spoke buster.
burkowitz

Postby killercarbon98 » April 27th, 2010, 10:28 pm

Did I Mention.......
Work Season is here and we will be finishing the Armoring in section 3 over the next week or two. That said I am asking (dont make be beg) for any help I can find.
So anyone who can assist please PM, email me or post comment. I have a load of Flag Stone (2 tons!) being delivered on Friday and plan on being out there all day, then working daily as I can fit it in. Will work around other schedules if you can assist. Good chance to learn a little about trail building, Ditch Witch'n, and shed a few of those left over winter LB's!

Best way to contact me is via Email @ chrisingrandrapids@yahoo.com.

A formal work day will be scheduled for MAY 8th, 9 AM. Spread the word. FREE LUNCH! Meet at 3 mile Road Lot at end of section 3.

THANKS,

Chris
killercarbon98

Postby killercarbon98 » May 1st, 2010, 9:27 am

Step 1 completed Friday.

Delivered and staged 2 TONS of Flag Stone at work area. A BIG THANKS to out friends at STONE ZONE for generous deal.
Check them out for your personal projects and let them know you heard it hear. Website is: stonezoneco.com
Thanks to Mike F for helping.

Going back out this afternoon around 2 to start the design ,layout and placement.

Chris
killercarbon98

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions