Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby Biggredd911 » June 21st, 2010, 11:00 pm

When is the down-hill event happening on Saturday? The State Games web site is a joke and has no info on the mountain bike scheduling. I finally have this Saturday off and I've never been to a down-hill event before. Any help is apprietiated kids!

-Tommy
Biggredd911

Postby kayakpete » June 23rd, 2010, 8:29 am

Something (rain rain rain) tells me that the trail is too wet to ride right now.
- Pete
FatTires, Holland, MI

"You talk to much, so no, I won't wash your bike." - Indigenous
kayakpete

Postby ReidRules18 » July 1st, 2010, 11:01 am

What are the conditions out there currently like?
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby cramer » July 1st, 2010, 11:10 am

ReidRules18 wrote:What are the conditions out there currently like?

Haven't been on the trail but I can say the ground out here is plenty dry. I've got the sprinklers on for the first time in a long time today.
cramer

Postby grmtnbkr » July 1st, 2010, 4:18 pm

Fast and dry. The little stream at the begining is almost dry.
grmtnbkr

Postby ReidRules18 » July 1st, 2010, 9:01 pm

grmtnbkr wrote:

Fast and dry. The little stream at the begining is almost dry.

You are entirely correct. I rode it for the first time in a couple of weeks and it is dry and washed out in spots due to the amount of rain we have gotten. There are some still wet mud puddles and some short cuts around the once trail that probably should get some branches over them to stop people from riding the route. But fast and dry it is, I came to the first stream crossing and was shocked to only see a few inches of water as opposed to something just below the hubs! That new armoring rocks and the trail is a missed favorite.

-Reid
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby spwrozek » July 5th, 2010, 2:36 pm

The new armored section is great. Really nice work guys. Trail was in great condition all around.
spwrozek

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » July 10th, 2010, 4:20 pm

One of the few out at CSGA today. I cant believe how many shortcuts there are now. :x :cry: I tried to block as many as possible I got only 2 of about 6. Also someone probly MMBA :x cut out that iffy jump/drop right before the rebuilt bridge. Cant U guys just leave the trail alone. Pruning is fine I will help. But U continuously keep dumbing down the trail. :? U shouldnt be called the MMBA, u should be called the FLAT STRAIGHT TRAIL RIDERS ASSOCIATION. Yes I know this is harsh but I'm *beep* U keep pussing out the trail. LEAVE IT ALONE. This is the main reason I dont support the MMBA. :x :?

Also there is a large unridable tree down coming out of the extreme high speed part of the last section right before the bridge. Right around the corner, so use caution.

Ride On
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby cramer » July 10th, 2010, 6:20 pm

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:One of the few out at CSGA today. I cant believe how many shortcuts there are now. :x :cry: I tried to block as many as possible I got only 2 of about 6. Also someone probly MMBA :x cut out that iffy jump/drop right before the rebuilt bridge. Cant U guys just leave the trail alone. Pruning is fine I will help. But U continuously keep dumbing down the trail. :? U shouldnt be called the MMBA, u should be called the FLAT STRAIGHT TRAIL RIDERS ASSOCIATION. Yes I know this is harsh but I'm *beep* U keep pussing out the trail. LEAVE IT ALONE. This is the main reason I dont support the MMBA. :x :?

Also there is a large unridable tree down coming out of the extreme high speed part of the last section right before the bridge. Right around the corner, so use caution.

Ride On

I think the trail dumbed itself down when that part caved in from riders using it!

I think that tree that is down is totally ridable, they better leave that tree in place and not dumb it down!
cramer

Postby Slimm » July 10th, 2010, 6:30 pm

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:One of the few out at CSGA today. I cant believe how many shortcuts there are now. :x :cry: I tried to block as many as possible I got only 2 of about 6. Also someone probly MMBA :x cut out that iffy jump/drop right before the rebuilt bridge. Cant U guys just leave the trail alone. Pruning is fine I will help. But U continuously keep dumbing down the trail. :? U shouldnt be called the MMBA, u should be called the FLAT STRAIGHT TRAIL RIDERS ASSOCIATION. Yes I know this is harsh but I'm *beep* U keep pussing out the trail. LEAVE IT ALONE. This is the main reason I dont support the MMBA. :x :?

Ride On

the MMBA is not making the changes to the trail you speak of. Rogue users, the ones mentioned in a different thread, are doing most of that. Not supporting the MMBA is probably not going to help put a stop to the unathorized re-routes and general trail destruction, but I certainly understand the sentiment.
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » July 10th, 2010, 8:31 pm

cramer wrote:

Ride On

I think the trail dumbed itself down when that part caved in from riders using it!

I think that tree that is down is totally ridable, they better leave that tree in place and not dumb it down!

I ride this trail all the time, that part did not cave in. It was changed from a large rut and drop to a easy descent. I'd like to see you jump that tree, well meet out their and put some money on it and i'll throw your wreck video up on youtube.
And its not the MMBA I have a problem with, If I see someone wrecking the trail I do something about it, why cant others do the same. Is it the MMBA that make this trail a target, sounds like someone really doesnt like the MMBA.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby cramer » July 10th, 2010, 10:17 pm

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:
cramer wrote:

Ride On

I ride this trail all the time, that part did not cave in. It was changed from a large rut and drop to a easy descent. I'd like to see you jump that tree, well meet out their and put some money on it and i'll throw your wreck video up on youtube.
And its not the MMBA I have a problem with, If I see someone wrecking the trail I do something about it, why cant others do the same. Is it the MMBA that make this trail a target, sounds like someone really doesnt like the MMBA.

The point I was making on the downed tree is that things happen on a trail. Sometimes these things that happen make the trail more difficult to ride. Sometimes they make the trail impossible to ride for some people but pretty much everything can be ridden. If you don't believe me, check out the viral Danny Makaskill video on youtube. You don't think he could ride that downed tree? He could do a back flip off that tree. Should they leave it there because a guy like Danny might come along and enjoy that type of obstacle? No.

If you liked it the way it was, I would have to ask you "when?" Did you like it when the trail was built, when there was no drop off? How about 10 years ago when it was washed out but no drop off? Last year when there was a slight drop off? Just this last week, when the drop off was getting pretty big? Is that the way you liked it? Well I got news for you, it wasn't going to stay that way whether it was left alone or not. If it continued to erode and the drop off became 10 feet, would you like it then or want it "fixed"? What I'm illustrating is that leaving it alone is not physically possible with an eroded area like that because it doesn't leave itself alone, it constantly washes away and changes. If you ride there a lot like you say, you know what I'm saying. The trail is constantly being shaped by riders and the elements. It sounds like you enjoyed it for the brief time this spring and early summer when it was slightly larger than last year, great, I liked it too. What about the person that liked it last year, when it was still there but not as deep? Is your opinion of when it was better more valid than theirs? Why? The bottom line is that every single bump and corner in that trail has someone that likes it and someone that doesn't. For every person complaining about it being dumbed down, there is someone else complaining about it being neglected.

Do you like the fact that we have another trail to ride in town now at Luton? Did you know it took nearly ten years to get permission to build that trail? If CSGA and the ski area were neglected as you would like, they never would have been given permission to build at Luton. If left alone and allowed to fall apart, we could lose access at the game area also. People fail to see the big picture.

Lastly, if people really liked neglected trails, the parking lot at Robinette's would be as full as the game area, ski area and Luton. Instead, when I ride there I never see anyone else there. If this is the type of trail you prefer, you're in luck, Robinette's is there for you and you will pretty much have it all to yourself too! It's great that we have such a variety of trails to ride.
cramer

Postby Slimm » July 12th, 2010, 8:46 am

cramer makes some outstanding points above. i couldn't agree more. I, for one, really enjoy the variety I have to choose from within 20 minutes of my house. It wasn't like that where I lived before moving to Rockford.

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:.....

G.R.XC-

wondering if you can expand on the above bolded statement. I've read through you comment a few times and I'm interested in how you think that happens

-s
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby toonaphish » July 13th, 2010, 5:18 am

Hi - A few key points from frequent (weekly) CSGA user:
1) MMBA, not the hand of God, actively maintains trails with the effort of volunteers to maximize sustainability and minimize erosion.
2) If you don't like the trail, join MMBA and work to improve it in a good way.
3) There is no dumbing down of this trail or any other by the trail crews. If you are finding it "pussing [verb or adjective?]," then try this: Ride faster and break less.
4) It might help if you took the kickstand off your bike.
toonaphish

Postby toonaphish » July 13th, 2010, 5:21 am

Sorry. Correction: BRAKE less. Please. The trail is turning one gigantic rut.
toonaphish

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions