For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg SGA

Postby Bigtymer » July 13th, 2010, 9:18 am

That was funny toonaphish!! hahahaha!
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby ReidRules18 » July 13th, 2010, 8:21 pm

As mentioned above, the trail has a number of "shortcuts" instead of staying on the intended trail. These are so well worked into the soil that they almost look to be the norm for people not familiar with the trail. Please stay the correct route!
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby cramer » July 13th, 2010, 10:03 pm

ReidRules18 wrote:As mentioned above, the trail has a number of "shortcuts" instead of staying on the intended trail. These are so well worked into the soil that they almost look to be the norm for people not familiar with the trail. Please stay the correct route!

The other day I counted 7 of them just in the first half of section 2. Pretty sad.
cramer

Postby Mike_D » July 13th, 2010, 10:17 pm

cramer wrote:
ReidRules18 wrote:As mentioned above, the trail has a number of "shortcuts" instead of staying on the intended trail. These are so well worked into the soil that they almost look to be the norm for people not familiar with the trail. Please stay the correct route!

The other day I counted 7 of them just in the first half of section 2. Pretty sad.

Riders are probably shaving 5 seconds off their lap times by using the shortcuts :roll:

Those that are making/taking the shortcuts are dumbing down the trail by taking a straight line or easy way around an obstacle, not the trail workers...
Mike_D

Postby toonaphish » July 14th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Agreed.
Newbies and the lazy are responsible for the bypass foul-ups. I routinely ask people (as politely as possible) to not widen the trail as I pass them on those nice rooty uphill bits. If more people did this, it might help. More riders is a good thing. Be polite and say, "widening the trail causes erosion; please don't do it." And, just to be really polite, tell them to take off the *beep* kickstand. Those things are dangerous.
toonaphish

Postby trout_smith » July 14th, 2010, 2:24 pm

toonaphish wrote:Agreed.
Newbies and the lazy are responsible for the bypass foul-ups. I routinely ask people (as politely as possible) to not widen the trail as I pass them on those nice rooty uphill bits. If more people did this, it might help. More riders is a good thing. Be polite and say, "widening the trail causes erosion; please don't do it." And, just to be really polite, tell them to take off the *beep* kickstand. Those things are dangerous.

I bet people really dig hearing you give them advice when they're in a technical climb.
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby toonaphish » July 14th, 2010, 9:09 pm

I do my best to keep the *beep* to a minimum. As a rule, if I see someone on the trail at the side, I alway ask, " you okay? Got everything?" These are tiny trails, be polite. I've lent my chain tool to people along with a business card and said, "send it my way when you get home or call me on my cell phone." I've been stuck in the BFE in other parts of the world with flats or a taco'd wheel. I will only berate the numb when I catch them in the act of stupidity.

The only time that this has happened here was last year when some doophus was running the trail backwards. I said, "dude, one way trail system." Got back, "yea, whatever dude." It took all that his holy to not turn around and chase that too'rd back to his mother.
toonaphish

Postby spwrozek » July 15th, 2010, 7:35 am

Every hiker and runner I have ever seen there goes opposite the MB direction. I figured that was the way it was designated at the kiosk. It is like that (bikers and hikers going opposite direction) pretty much everywhere I have been in Michigan.
spwrozek

Postby Slimm » July 15th, 2010, 8:24 am

toonaphish wrote:I do my best to keep the *beep* to a minimum. As a rule, if I see someone on the trail at the side, I alway ask, " you okay? Got everything?" These are tiny trails, be polite. I've lent my chain tool to people along with a business card and said, "send it my way when you get home or call me on my cell phone." I've been stuck in the BFE in other parts of the world with flats or a taco'd wheel. I will only berate the numb when I catch them in the act of stupidity.

The only time that this has happened here was last year when some doophus was running the trail backwards. I said, "dude, one way trail system." Got back, "yea, whatever dude." It took all that his holy to not turn around and chase that too'rd back to his mother.

on a multi-use trail system, like SGA, bikes yield to hikers/runners. you are out of line admonishing that guy. Runners go backwards so that they can more easily see you coming and get off the trail so you can pass.

I run trails all the time, in addition to riding. As a runner, I appreciate riders slowing and giving me an opportunity to step off the trail so they can pass. As a rider, I slow, announce and wait for the runner to decide what they are going to do. Usually, they step aside quickly allowing me to pass. If they don't, as a rider I am required to yield until they do.

share the trails man

-s
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby Bigtymer » July 15th, 2010, 8:58 am

Talk about something important like the trail conditions! This is getting old!!!
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » July 15th, 2010, 10:43 am

trout_smith wrote:

I bet people really dig hearing you give them advice when they're in a technical climb.

:lol: :lol:
Where's this so called technical climb at now... :) there's only one at CSGA and its not very long. :) :wink:

Anyone know if the trail had much rain last night?
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby cramer » July 15th, 2010, 11:18 am

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:
trout_smith wrote:

:lol: :lol:
Where's this so called technical climb at now... :) there's only one at CSGA and its not very long. :) :wink:

Anyone know if the trail had much rain last night?

Just a very light sprinkle around 4:00 AM and nothing today yet.
cramer

Postby toonaphish » July 15th, 2010, 2:34 pm

To be clear, I am F-A-T and the rooty uphill climbs are technical for me on the 1X1. Simple as that.
And, I have only once truly said something negative to a stranger out there once. This was a 'bad man' riding the trail counter-clockwise. If I wasn't such a peace-loving hippy, I would have dearly loved to have had a non-verbal conversation with him.
toonaphish

Postby trout_smith » July 15th, 2010, 3:01 pm

toonaphish wrote:To be clear, I am F-A-T and the rooty uphill climbs are technical for me on the 1X1. Simple as that.
And, I have only once truly said something negative to a stranger out there once. This was a 'bad man' riding the trail counter-clockwise. If I wasn't such a peace-loving hippy, I would have dearly loved to have had a non-verbal conversation with him.

I was just having fun... trying to visualize someone giving trail riding advice while someone's climbing.

I actually like it when runners are coming at me since I assume they're wearing earbuds and I have a tendency to spook them when comign up from behind.

There are a couple of very fast blind sections at CSGA (sections 2 and 3?) where I go a little slower than I want to, just because of the blind corners. i know I wouldn't be able to stop quickly if I surprised a runner or a dog walker or a kid riding.
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby whumpus » July 16th, 2010, 9:20 am

"There are a couple of very fast blind sections at CSGA (sections 2 and 3?) where I go a little slower than I want to, just because of the blind corners. i know I wouldn't be able to stop quickly if I surprised a runner or a dog walker or a kid riding."

I was almost run over by a deer on section 2 in one of those blind sections on Wednesday. That spiked my heart rate!
whumpus

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions