Western: Cannonsburg SGA

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby mtbyker » February 4th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Went out today, trail in very good condition. On the 2nd and 3rd laps I stayed on Dursam to 4 mile and the picked up the trail down 4 mi. That part is a little wet. One thing I noticed is lots of "evidence" of horses, pretty disconcerting, it could really mess up that trail if horses are on it.....
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby blamp28 » February 4th, 2006, 6:09 pm

Are horses permited on this trail? I don't remember that.
blamp28

Postby John_H » February 4th, 2006, 7:14 pm

Horses are NOT allowed anywhere in Canonsburg Game Area. There has been ilegal horse use there once in a while over the years. If you see horse trailers out there - write down the license plate numbers and report them. Usually, it's local horse owners nearby sneaking in a trail ride. This time of year, I imagine they don't think they'll run into anyone on the trail.
John_H

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » February 17th, 2006, 7:03 pm

Rode 3/4 of the loop at Cannonsburg SGA this afternoon. Trail was in great condition, but the ice on the branches are pushing a lot of them down and in your way.
I cleared a number of downed trees and branches, but there is one tree on the second section, on the long downhill part, that needs a chainsaw.
Just make sure to wear your helmet, you'll be pruning a lot of trees with your head until the ice thaws.
Lots and lots of deer tracks...even with the warm winter, they are scrounging hard for food.
The Motion Initiative
Believers On Mountain Bikes, International
-Our love must be genuine. Hate what is evil, cling to what is good. (Romans 12:9)
2WheeledWarrior

Postby Dave_Lenting » February 17th, 2006, 7:47 pm

I went last Saturday - It was snow packed and great - A X-Country skier was visibly annoyed at me for being there and informed me it was closed to bikes - I - politely - informed him that he was wrong - He backed off and told me I shoud try cross coutnry skiing. ( I do on occasion) ( He accepted my answer but still was annoyed) I ran into more skiers on the first section so on the next lap I just took the road to the second section to avoid any more hassles - By the tracks in the snow it seemed that the skiers mainly stuck to the 1st leg.
Dave_Lenting

Postby John_H » February 17th, 2006, 8:18 pm

Kind of bugs me about the xc skiers. I am an xc skier myself, but there are two serious xc ski trails a few miles from csga - and they are no bike EVER trails. Seidman park and pickerel Lake (which connects to Pando = groomed xc ski for skating ski) are within 5 miles of csga. I know... we need to let the xc ski people have their fun, but there are many many many options for xc ski trails in kent county besides csga - especially when 2 nice trail systems are less than 5 miles away.
Go have fun in the snow somehow :)
John_H

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » February 18th, 2006, 12:19 am

No XC ski tracks at all, today. Only ran into one tire track from a fellow biker, but only on the last section. Lots of hiker tracks, or people tracks...and tons of deer.
Here's a pic of my friend riding the first section!
The Motion Initiative
-Our love must be genuine. Hate what is evil, cling to what is good. (Romans 12:9)
2WheeledWarrior

Postby Crash & Burn » February 18th, 2006, 1:00 am

That is an awesome pic Ken 8) . Looks like a blast out there.
Crash & Burn

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » February 20th, 2006, 2:01 am

You should see it when the sun hits all the ice in the trees....it's like you are in another world! :D
The Motion Initiative
2WheeledWarrior

Postby jjlewis » February 23rd, 2006, 11:15 pm

Went out there today and it was frozen and fast....
jjlewis

CSGA

Postby Dave_Lenting » February 25th, 2006, 8:55 pm

FYI - Went out today - We need a few inches of snow to make the trail "safe" and vcover the ice. 50% of the trail was solid ice and rutted (ruts in the ice not the trail) a brief snow squawl came up and made the ice really slick. It was more challenging trying to stay upright. Another rider I met said it was too slick for him too.
Dave_Lenting

Re: CSGA

Postby Mike_D » February 25th, 2006, 10:29 pm

Dave_Lenting wrote:FYI - Went out today - We need a few inches of snow to make the trail "safe" and vcover the ice. 50% of the trail was solid ice and rutted (ruts in the ice not the trail) a brief snow squawl came up and made the ice really slick. It was more challenging trying to stay upright. Another rider I met said it was too slick for him too.

I rode there Friday morning - same scenario - very icy and slick but still a fun ride.
Mike_D

Postby SlowPoke » March 4th, 2006, 6:29 pm

3pm :( Mud Mud Mud :!:

SlowPoke

Cannonsburg SGA

Postby jjlewis » March 5th, 2006, 12:16 pm

Went out in the early morning on my cyclocrosser and it was frozen and really icy in spots. I crashed hard a few times on the ice, but the rest of the trail was well worth it. I've been riding it in the early mornings. It should be perfect if we get 1-3 inches of snow tonight. The trail is hard packed and the snow should add some good grip to the ice.
jjlewis

Postby John_H » March 11th, 2006, 2:36 pm

It's still thawing out there. I walked some on Friday 3/10 afternoon. Some spots are still very muddy and goo filled. Try to hold on a bit longer.
John_H

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions