Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby countryboy_mike » August 3rd, 2019, 7:42 am

Huge tree down on Appleton. Approx1/4 mile past campground heading west. Big chainsaw will be needed.
Always a singletrack mind
2015 Motobecane Ti Fly 29er custom build
2017 Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike
Team Hometown
countryboy_mike

Postby BigfootDenny » August 3rd, 2019, 11:39 am

Tree will be removed this afternoon (Saturday).
BigfootDenny

Postby countryboy_mike » September 1st, 2019, 8:25 am

PSA for Brighton Rec Area. There is a large wasp nest in the log pile drop at the top of Tornado Alley on the Lost Loop. We figured this out the hard way during a night ride this past Friday.
Be careful out there especially if you are allergic.
Team Hometown
countryboy_mike

Postby mtbdudex » September 11th, 2019, 2:43 pm

I've been riding Appleton loop, all 3, the original loop, the mid loop, and now the North loop.

Truly a great loop by itself, and a nice 4.2 mile warm up for either Murray Lake or Torn shirt.

There needs a few more signs to mark both the mid loop , where it splits, and then the North loop where you need to ride past the creek and then go back into the woods.

Also - The trailforks map seems short to the North loop actual ride, I'll post that picture here.
mtbdudex

Postby mtbdudex » September 12th, 2019, 7:13 am

Here's a simple picture to show some Appleton enhancements ...
mtbdudex

Postby countryboy_mike » September 12th, 2019, 7:58 am

Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that the "Appleton Extension" is technically not a DNR approved trail. If we do decide to sign this portion of trail, it also needs to be noted that it is not a beginner friendly portion of trail. It is a way different feel than the Appleton beginner friendly layout.
Team Hometown
countryboy_mike

Postby c0nsumer » September 12th, 2019, 9:00 am

countryboy_mike wrote:Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that the "Appleton Extension" is technically not a DNR approved trail. If we do decide to sign this portion of trail, it also needs to be noted that it is not a beginner friendly portion of trail. It is a way different feel than the Appleton beginner friendly layout.

That's my understanding as well. It's also got some things which I feel are fundamental design flaws. Like the straight shot downhill into a series of very tight turns at the end. These are already getting brake bumpy.

This trail is very much out of character for the rest of Appleton's nicely sustainable built stuff. It's almost an example of how to NOT extend a trail.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby mtbdudex » September 12th, 2019, 10:29 am

I thought trailforks , https://www.mmba.org/trails/ , was the official MMBA trail maps system, if the 2 Appleton loops are not approved, then how and why are they on Trailforks?
mtbdudex

Postby BigfootDenny » September 12th, 2019, 11:01 am

As an FYI -- there will be a MiSCA Youth Cycling bike race at Brighton Recreation Area Sunday, September 15.
Over 350 Youth racers are expected...

On Sunday, the only way to access the main trailhead parking area via cars will be on Bishop Lake Rd. coming west from Bauer Rd.
Access coming from Chilson Rd. to Bishop Lake Rd. will be blocked at a point prior to the Bishop Lake beach area.

Saturday will likely be very busy at BRA also due to many of the teams pre-riding the courses, and final preparations for trail marking also.

The three race courses being utilized encompass the Appleton Trail, and Murray Trail as described below.

(photo credit: Shawn Tyrrell)
Last edited by BigfootDenny on September 12th, 2019, 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
BigfootDenny

Postby crustaceous_flora » September 12th, 2019, 11:09 am

mtbdudex wrote:I've been riding Appleton loop, all 3, the original loop, the mid loop, and now the North loop.

Truly a great loop by itself, and a nice 4.2 mile warm up for either Murray Lake or Torn shirt.

There needs a few more signs to mark both the mid loop , where it splits, and then the North loop where you need to ride past the creek and then go back into the woods.

Also - The trailforks map seems short to the North loop actual ride, I'll post that picture here.

Trailforks Data for most of our trails around here is absolute trash. Like, who uploaded those? I also feel the same with a bunch of segments on Strava, dudes without a wheel sensor made segments for Sugar Loop, Full DTE(Full Monty), Highland, Grubers, etc, and it's missing a bunch of mileage because they didn't have a wheel sensor. I've been riding them all and making new, correct mileage segments for the major ones around. I hope nobody gets salty and starts flagging the correct mileage segments haha
crustaceous_flora

Postby mtbdudex » September 12th, 2019, 11:25 am

BigfootDenny wrote:As an FYI -- there will be a MiSCA Youth Cycling bike race at Brighton Recreation Area Sunday, September 15.
Over 350 Youth racers are expected...

On Sunday, the only way to access the main trailhead parking area via cars will be on Bishop Lake Rd. coming west from Bauer Rd.
Access coming from Chilson Rd. to Bishop Lake Rd. will be blocked at a point prior to the Bishop Lake beach area.

Saturday will likely be very busy at BRA also due to many of the teams pre-riding the courses, and final preparations for trail marking also.

The three race courses being utilized encompass the Appleton Trail, and Murray Trail as described below.

Awesome seeing so many young and upcoming MTB riders.
Thx for the heads up, I'll avoid BRA this weekend
mtbdudex

Postby b_b » September 15th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Some trees down:
TS bottom of picnic table climb big tree
TS 3.5 smaller tree down
TS 4.5 *widow maker* on fast flow trail near road
TS 7.5 trail washed out from rain flow
Ralphs 0.8 low hanger but easy to see and go under
Other loops are clear
b_b