Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby scat silvurz » May 16th, 2004, 6:28 pm

rode the trail on may 15 - major health hazard on a torn shirt downhill~!!!!!

It's the downhill that you tackle after climbing one of the steep/long hills, this downhill has a series of log drops that are fun yet scary if you are going real fast. The problem is, a large tree fell across the trail at the bottom, and someone attempted to pile some logs in front to form a ramp. This ramp is super steep and combined with big speeds, you have the potential for major trouble. The clincher is - THERE IS NO BACKSIDE TO THIS RAMP! Ask K2 how much fun it was for him to discover this [and he actually knows what he is doing].....endo city!

Whoever is the trail coordinator for this trail should try to get a chainsaw out there and fix this before someone gets really hurt bad.
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

downed tree got me too

Postby konarider » May 16th, 2004, 8:33 pm

I rode Murray then hopped on to Torn. Was feeling in the groove tonight. Saw the tree and the little logs piled up. Thought I would take it at decent speed. Mistake. Ouch. Someone could get seriously hurt there. Me..just real bloody on one leg.
konarider

Postby scat silvurz » May 16th, 2004, 10:36 pm

doh!

you were there the day before and saw what happened!? did you forget or something?
scat silvurz

Postby Mr.B » May 17th, 2004, 10:33 pm

Rode Murray and Hidden loop tonight getting a little GREAZZZY in spots . lots of low hanging small stuff and a few good size blowdowns that still need attention but had a ball.
By the way "Wish" was rite The Hidden loop needs more people to ride it . its almost gone in spots. Will this part of the trail be included in the trail day when they reschedule ?( and dose any one know when that may be ?) Hopefully soon due to recent weather .)
Mr.B

Postby Joz » May 21st, 2004, 9:13 am

Mr.B wrote:By the way "Wish" was rite The Hidden loop needs more people to ride it . its almost gone in spots. Will this part of the trail be included in the trail day when they reschedule ?( and dose any one know when that may be ?) Hopefully soon due to recent weather .)

Hrm, I live down the road from Brighton rec and was only aware of Murray and Torn. Where is 'Hidden' located?
Joz

Hidden loop at Brighton

Postby WICCMB » May 21st, 2004, 11:47 am

When you're on Murray Lake, look for a trail going off to the right just about 50 yards or so before the outhouses near the camping area. Follow this trail to the right and it will dump you onto the campground road. Take this road to the right for a few hundred yards until you get to the gate at Bauer Rd. Go around the gate and turn left on Bauer Rd - watch out for traffic! Just go over the creek, and then look to the left immediately after the creek for a small trail leading off of the road. This is the hidden loop....it begins and ends in the same spot, so you'll need to take the right fork and follow the trail around counter-clockwise. The hidden loop is about 2 miles long. Then go back to Murray Lake where you left off by the outhouses. :D
WICCMB
Administrator

Re: Hidden loop at Brighton

Postby Mr.B » May 21st, 2004, 10:48 pm

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:When you're on Murray Lake, look for a trail going off to the right just about 50 yards or so before the outhouses near the camping area. Follow this trail to the right and it will dump you onto the campground road. Take this road to the right for a few hundred yards until you get to the gate at Bauer Rd. Go around the gate and turn left on Bauer Rd - watch out for traffic! Just go over the creek, and then look to the left immediately after the creek for a small trail leading off of the road. This is the hidden loop....it begins and ends in the same spot, so you'll need to take the right fork and follow the trail around counter-clockwise. The hidden loop is about 2 miles long. Then go back to Murray Lake where you left off by the outhouses. :D[/quote

Yeah what he said :lol: :lol: just north of the creek on the west side of bauer. Go check it out and Ride it w/ the rest of the trail
Mr.B

Postby K2Beast » May 22nd, 2004, 12:42 am

Joz wrote: ...
Hrm, I live down the road from Brighton rec and was only aware of Murray and Torn. Where is 'Hidden' located?

8) There is also an Appleton Loop... which needs a lot of work... and riders...
:( I miss the old Bishop trail... :cry:
Adam aka K2Beast (FR/DH/XC) .__ :twisted:
GT Zaskar (rigid) - - - - - - - - - \ <
Azonic DS1 (SS/rigid) - - - - (( )) (( ))
Yeti AS-X (DH/Freeride) -------------
Surly 1x1 (SS/rigid)
Diamondback Drifter
K2Beast

Postby Mr.B » May 22nd, 2004, 11:28 am

HEy Adam,
I know of alot of trails connecting to Bishop ( spent alot of time on them as a kid )BUt where is the Appleton trail ? I am Assuming you may be talking about the trails on the west side of Chilson :?: If you are I never biked them but when I was 16 and bought my first 4 wd truck I was out there behind the rididng stable and really dented and scratched it up ( got pretty tight :roll: :oops: expensive lesson ) Maybe its time to revisit them on my bike :idea: DOnt know why I never thought of this B4 are they open to MTBing :?:
Brian.
Mr.B

Postby K2Beast » May 23rd, 2004, 3:44 pm

The trail I know as Bishop may actually be called Penosha... :? Is that the one we used to ride before Torn Shirt and Murray Lake many many moons ago :?: It is a hiking trail only now (on the south side of the lot). I have been tempted to poach it for something different... :twisted:
The Appleton Trail is north and west of the parking lot/beach entrance to the park (not west of Chilson). If you are riding Murray Lake when you get to the road... instead of crossing the road and going right to continue on Murray Lake, go left and look :shock: for a trail off the right side of the road. (before the Appleton park sign at the top of the hill) It doesn't get much traffic and parts of it are hard to follow because of it. But it is only about 2 miles of trail and you can't really get lost... stay to the right when you come upon the road and the soccer field a little ways in... if you make it that far.... there are a few downed trees in that area... if not all over after this weekends storms...
:idea: :arrow: Fair Warning... Last year, I was told by a DNR officer that the Appleton is not a trail. :roll: I attributed this warning to her ignorance and didn't argue with her... but skipped out on riding the rest of the Appleton anyway (I was having a hard time following it) and rode the road back. :shock: Sure looks like a trail to me... flags and all... :roll: I remember reading about some trail days for it as well... that is how I found out about it. :shock: Or is this just another BANDIT TRAIL :?: :!: Oh my... did I break another rule... :roll: :lol:
:D Let me know when you are riding out there next... we can do a RETRO-FREERIDE at Brighton... :lol:
Adam aka K2Beast (FR/DH/XC) .__ :twisted:
GT Zaskar (rigid) - - - - - - - - - \ <
Azonic DS1 (SS/rigid) - - - - (( )) (( ))
Yeti AS-X (DH/Freeride) -------------
Surly 1x1 (SS/rigid)
Diamondback Drifter
K2Beast

Postby Mr.B » May 23rd, 2004, 5:14 pm

SOme nite this week afterwork. it drains pretty well out there. Yes Penosha( hiking trail) is the old bishop trail ( there is alot of trail that shoots off of it too, all the way to hamburg rd and cowell rd ).I'm lost on the appleton one though so you'll have to show me.
Mr.B

Postby Todd Scott » May 23rd, 2004, 6:23 pm

The Appleton trail is not open. The DNR officer was correct.
Todd Scott

Mury Lake after the storms ( monday report)

Postby Roy » May 24th, 2004, 8:13 pm

Despite all the wash out the trail is in good shape; a lot of sand at the bottom of the hills. There are trees down over the trail between 2 mile and 4 mile (starting from parking lot). I was able to clear some by brute force, a saw is required for what is left. At about 3.3 miles there is a big log that comes up fast. It all ready has ring marks on it. If you are real, real talented you migh be able to jump it. But the ring marks say no. After 4 miles it is just sand in the corners you need to watch out for. :lol:
Roy

Postby scat silvurz » May 24th, 2004, 11:02 pm

gotta get that chainring gouged downfall log out of the bottom of that fun drop off hill - it just kills the flow of the downhill...
scat silvurz

Rode tonight

Postby konarider » May 26th, 2004, 7:32 pm

Rode Murray and TS tonight. Both are in pretty good shape considering the rain. Need to tread lightly in a few spots but not many. Sandy at the bottom of the hills as to be expected.
konarider

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions