Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby DynoDon » October 15th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Reroute on Murray Lake Trail, going out to Bauer Rd at the corner of Bishop lake rd, then riding down to Murray Lake Campground rd wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it will be nice to get back on the new trail.... maybe I'll put a blinky light on the rear of my bike next time though...
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby c0nsumer » October 15th, 2018, 2:18 pm

bender16v wrote:With both extensions I believe Appleton totals about 3 miles. I would not say that the extensions are beginner trails because the trail is a little more narrow and there's a good climb.

I thought Appleton was supposed to be a flagship (for the park) Beginner trail?
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby MadMaxiem » October 15th, 2018, 2:36 pm

The original loop is absolutely a great beginner trail...the added loops are a little more work climbing, etc.
MadMaxiem

Postby bender16v » October 16th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Yes, as MadMaxiem said I think Appleton is the best beginner trail around since it's pretty flat and smooth. I'm not sure that the extensions are actually official MTB trails.
bender16v

Postby Steve_Balogh » October 17th, 2018, 12:22 am

DynoDon wrote:Reroute on Murray Lake Trail, going out to Bauer Rd at the corner of Bishop lake rd, then riding down to Murray Lake Campground rd wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it will be nice to get back on the new trail.... maybe I'll put a blinky light on the rear of my bike next time though...

Bauer road is still as dangerous as it always has been. When I stopped to make the left on it today, someone was speeding through at a seriously unsafe speed. Surprised they didn't end up in the swamp.
Steve_Balogh

Postby b_b » October 17th, 2018, 8:22 am

c0nsumer wrote:
bender16v wrote:With both extensions I believe Appleton totals about 3 miles. I would not say that the extensions are beginner trails because the trail is a little more narrow and there's a good climb.

I thought Appleton was supposed to be a flagship (for the park) Beginner trail?

The extension is optional and you have to watch for the turn off or you'll miss it. It's not terribly difficult or dangerous, so I think it's fine for someone learning wanting to take the next step. It has a nice little benched off-camber climb.
b_b

Postby DynoDon » October 19th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Reroute is still in progress, get off at Bauer Rd go to Murray Lake campground to reenter the trail,, all trail were good today, with the exception of the tree down just after the 7 mile marker, on Murray Lake Loop, 2 tenths of a mile from the end at Bishop Lake Road..
DynoDon

Postby crustaceous_flora » October 22nd, 2018, 12:45 pm

Cleaned up a large amount of deadfall/huge fallen branches on torn shirt and the first 3 miles of murray lake, was going to do the rest but I ran out of time. I guess all of the xc bros were too busy worrying about their climbing Pr's to stop and move some huge fallen branches off of the trail. #passiveaggressive. Pay your dues to the trail gods!
crustaceous_flora

Postby c0nsumer » October 22nd, 2018, 1:29 pm

crustaceous_flora wrote:Cleaned up a large amount of deadfall/huge fallen branches on torn shirt and the first 3 miles of murray lake, was going to do the rest but I ran out of time. I guess all of the xc bros were too busy worrying about their climbing Pr's to stop and move some huge fallen branches off of the trail. #passiveaggressive. Pay your dues to the trail gods!

I thought you liked technical trails? Why are you dumbing them down by removing features?
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby crustaceous_flora » October 22nd, 2018, 1:47 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
crustaceous_flora wrote:Cleaned up a large amount of deadfall/huge fallen branches on torn shirt and the first 3 miles of murray lake, was going to do the rest but I ran out of time. I guess all of the xc bros were too busy worrying about their climbing Pr's to stop and move some huge fallen branches off of the trail. #passiveaggressive. Pay your dues to the trail gods!

I thought you liked technical trails? Why are you dumbing them down by removing features?

haha, :oops: :D

I should've left those 6ft wide branches/leafy shrubs down so we can ride around it and widen the trails even more! :wink: :wink:
crustaceous_flora

Postby Steve_Balogh » October 22nd, 2018, 2:12 pm

Don’t know if you are on Facebook, but I sawed my way through what was at the start of Murray. All clear now unless something fell today.
Steve_Balogh

Postby DynoDon » October 22nd, 2018, 2:54 pm

Postby crustaceous_flora » Today, 1:45 pm

Cleaned up a large amount of deadfall/huge fallen branches on torn shirt and the first 3 miles of murray lake, was going to do the rest but I ran out of time. I guess all of the xc bros were too busy worrying about their climbing Pr's to stop and move some huge fallen branches off of the trail. #passiveaggressive. Pay your dues to the trail gods!

Thanks for picking up, derailleurs like them sticks, you may have saved someone a derailleur, I've developed a good kick stick as a go, but after they get run over there are too many sticks to kick on the fly. I haven't been out in a few days, I heard Murray Lake is open again, I want to get out to see it soon, but I also wanted to do a full double/double at Island Lake, 31 miles, I did that one today. Thanks again for the work. Torn shirt seems to get a lot more deadfall then the other trails.
DynoDon

Postby DynoDon » October 22nd, 2018, 2:55 pm

Postby crustaceous_flora » Today, 1:45 pm

Thanks for picking up, derailleurs like them sticks, you may have saved someone a derailleur, I've developed a good kick stick as a go, but after they get run over there are too many sticks to kick on the fly. I haven't been out in a few days, I heard Murray Lake is open again, I want to get out to see it soon, but I also wanted to do a full double/double at Island Lake, 31 miles, I did that one today.
Thanks again for the work. Torn shirt seems to get a lot more deadfall then the other trails.
DynoDon

Postby crustaceous_flora » October 22nd, 2018, 3:50 pm

Most of the large deadfall was on Torn. I agree Don, the last few times I've been on Torn there has been lots of derailleur busters and thick leafy branches on the ground causing riders to go around them.
crustaceous_flora

Postby DynoDon » October 26th, 2018, 5:09 pm

Tree across the trail at the end of Torn Shirt, its just past the cross over to Murray Lake Trail, about 10 inches laying on the ground... I broke up a tree on Torn Shirt just after a rooty down hill where a log end has been in the trail for months, it was a big tree, (25 foot with lots of bracnches) as I tried to break a walk through hole in it I realized it was somewhat easy to break, so I just broke it up, trail is clear now except for the log end I couldn't break without TNT... the rest of the trails were good to go.
There was a guy shooting a shotgun in the middle of the newest section on Torn Shirt, I stopped counting at 80 rounds in about 30 minutes, ( I got off the trail as I was ringing a bell ) and he was still shooting,, I wonder if that was legal, I know they can hunt, but that was nuts..His first shots were real loud, like right next to me, I didn't stick around....
DynoDon

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions