Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby crustaceous_flora » October 27th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Thanks for the work Don!

I have nothing wrong with hunting, but I've always thought it was kind of weird that dudes can hunt on the mtb trails. There's thousands of miles of state
land that we never ride on, why can't they go there?
crustaceous_flora

Postby ReidRules18 » October 28th, 2018, 11:09 am

DynoDon wrote:Tree across the trail at the end of Torn Shirt, its just past the cross over to Murray Lake Trail, about 10 inches laying on the ground... I broke up a tree on Torn Shirt just after a rooty down hill where a log end has been in the trail for months, it was a big tree, (25 foot with lots of bracnches) as I tried to break a walk through hole in it I realized it was somewhat easy to break, so I just broke it up, trail is clear now except for the log end I couldn't break without TNT... the rest of the trails were good to go.
There was a guy shooting a shotgun in the middle of the newest section on Torn Shirt, I stopped counting at 80 rounds in about 30 minutes, ( I got off the trail as I was ringing a bell ) and he was still shooting,, I wonder if that was legal, I know they can hunt, but that was nuts..His first shots were real loud, like right next to me, I didn't stick around....

Hunting is legal there, however target shooting is not - clearly this is what he was doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby DynoDon » October 28th, 2018, 12:18 pm

ReidRules18 wrote:
DynoDon wrote:Tree across the trail at the end of Torn Shirt, its just past the cross over to Murray Lake Trail, about 10 inches laying on the ground... I broke up a tree on Torn Shirt just after a rooty down hill where a log end has been in the trail for months, it was a big tree, (25 foot with lots of bracnches) as I tried to break a walk through hole in it I realized it was somewhat easy to break, so I just broke it up, trail is clear now except for the log end I couldn't break without TNT... the rest of the trails were good to go.
There was a guy shooting a shotgun in the middle of the newest section on Torn Shirt, I stopped counting at 80 rounds in about 30 minutes, ( I got off the trail as I was ringing a bell ) and he was still shooting,, I wonder if that was legal, I know they can hunt, but that was nuts..His first shots were real loud, like right next to me, I didn't stick around....

Hunting is legal there, however target shooting is not - clearly this is what he was doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanx Reid, I'll keep it in mind if I ever run into that problem again, I called the DNR in Brighton, she didn't know much, and didn't seem to care. I'm not so sure she was a officer, or just answering the phone. I seen the guy come out of the emergency exit that I used to get out to the road, I was setting there on the bike waiting until it was safe to go back to the trail. He was parked on the wrong side of the Bishop Lake road in a rusty little Ford SUV, he was white with a black girlfriend, he was carring a shotgun, I didn't say anything to him, I'm allergic to lead..,
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby DynoDon » November 3rd, 2018, 4:26 pm

Torn Shirt had 3 trees down, 1 1/4..mile mark 1 1/2 and 7 1/2 right at the end, so it'll be on Murray too, as soon as you cross the road and make your right turn.. all of them are 10 inches or more...lots of leaves, some slick spots, but not bad, great day for a ride...all the other loops were good to go, Torn just likes to drop deadfall/trees,\...
DynoDon

Postby ahopkins1988 » November 8th, 2018, 9:36 am

Friend and I rode Murray Lake night, all loops except the very last one. Was in quite good condition. Handful of slick corners but nothing to bad. Lots of leaves obviously and one huge tree down in the last 1 mile ish. Definitely need a chainsaw or two.
--
Andrew

2011 Trek Mamba 29er, 2003 Trek 4500
ahopkins1988

Postby BigfootDenny » November 9th, 2018, 4:43 pm

ahopkins1988 wrote:Friend and I rode Murray Lake night, all loops except the very last one. Was in quite good condition. Handful of slick corners but nothing to bad. Lots of leaves obviously and one huge tree down in the last 1 mile ish. Definitely need a chainsaw or two.

Busdriver removed large tree on Murray Thursday, Nov.8.

Still two trees down on Torn Shirt approx 1.25 and 1.5 miles. May not be removed until mid-week.
BigfootDenny

Postby b_b » November 10th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Was a bit slick today! Saw a guy shoot his Xbow across Appleton right where it crosses pavement only few seconds after I came through. WTF! No he was not shooting at a deer.
b_b

Postby batgirl1 » November 11th, 2018, 5:45 pm

So....It is hunting season now... and these guys have a passion much the way we do about our bikes. Difference is they are only allowed to go out and play their passion for a very short period of time. I feel like it is important to be unselfish and just give the hunters their space. We have so many fun trails to ride on that do not allow hunting. Why be greedy...I guess thats my point I have to make.
"If life was easy, where would all the adventure be?"

Team - Bloom Roofing
batgirl1

Postby b_b » November 11th, 2018, 8:06 pm

batgirl1 wrote:So....It is hunting season now... and these guys have a passion much the way we do about our bikes. Difference is they are only allowed to go out and play their passion for a very short period of time. I feel like it is important to be unselfish and just give the hunters their space. We have so many fun trails to ride on that do not allow hunting. Why be greedy...I guess thats my point I have to make.

Then better not ride hunting areas from 9/15 to 3/31 and certainly don't ride iceman!
b_b

Postby DynoDon » November 25th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Torn Shirt still has the one tree down that is at the 1 1/4 and the 1 1/2 mile marker, its just one tree, but its blocking two sections, other than that it was in great condition, Murray and the loops were good too, the bridge was iced up.. what a great day for a ride,, 41 to 45 degrees, someone told me there is no hunting on Sunday on State Land, not sure how true it is, but there were no hunters out there, I didn't hear any shots either,, that would give us one day a week thats safe out there to ride..
DynoDon

Postby jthomp » November 25th, 2018, 6:40 pm

DynoDon wrote:Torn Shirt still has the one tree down that is at the 1 1/4 and the 1 1/2 mile marker, its just one tree, but its blocking two sections, other than that it was in great condition, Murray and the loops were good too, the bridge was iced up.. what a great day for a ride,, 41 to 45 degrees, someone told me there is no hunting on Sunday on State Land, not sure how true it is, but there were no hunters out there, I didn't hear any shots either,, that would give us one day a week thats safe out there to ride..

Definitely NOT true. Rode Murray and the Loops as well. Didn’t see any hunters while riding, but saw their cars on the way in. Didn’t hear a shot either.

Conditions were crazy good!
Life BYGG is all there is.
jthomp

Postby Roy » November 26th, 2018, 8:16 am

A smart hunter (not true for all) will use the trail and bike traffic as a hunting strategy.
Bike traffic will get the deer up and moving off the trail, and hopefully toward the hunter. During the day most deer don't like to move any more then necessary. If the deer do not move, they can't get shot.
On the other hand deer get lazy and will walk a bike trail, and hunters read the sign in the dirt.

One day's ride at Murry Lake, in the middle of the week and not hunting season, I came across the same herd of deer at least 3 times.
This trail is sorta like a clover leaf, the deer were at the center of that cover leaf and only had to move a short distance to back on the trail.

A smart hunter would position about 100 yards off the trail near a deer run. It is all shot gun hunting in the lower.
So you are relatively safe if there trees between you and the hunter. But if you see bright orange, make some noise.
If you ride during hunting season , were orange!

Roy
Roy

Postby b_b » November 26th, 2018, 10:07 am

Roy wrote:It is all shot gun hunting in the lower.
So you are relatively safe if there trees between you and the hunter.

Modern rifled slug guns and loads for deer are very powerful and accurate to 200 yards.
b_b

Postby DynoDon » November 26th, 2018, 3:49 pm

b_b wrote:
Roy wrote:It is all shot gun hunting in the lower.
So you are relatively safe if there trees between you and the hunter.

Modern rifled slug guns and loads for deer are very powerful and accurate to 200 yards.

People don't realize how many rifle deer hunting seasons, and other game seasons there are in Michigan, its a lot more than 2 weeks in Nov,,, i do wear Orange, and have a bell, I miss my squeaky brakes during hunting seasons, my Jagwire brake pads don't squeek at all, and I'm allergic to bullets/projectiles of all types... Hunting seasons link below....

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-3 ... --,00.html
DynoDon

Postby Steve_Kinley » November 26th, 2018, 4:25 pm

And don't forget that coyote is open all year, although not all state land allows year round hunting.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions