Poto: Brighton

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Brighton

Postby DynoDon » December 3rd, 2018, 6:47 am

I rode Torn Shirt yesterday, the tree is still down at the 1 1/4, and 1 1/2, but I cleared the way to ride through the one at the 1 1/2, the other one at the 1 1/4 is a hole from the roots, and the roots on the log, the hole can be filled easily, (if some gets out there before the ground freezes, not sure I will) then it would be rideable, a hand saw could cut some of the roots from the tree to make it even easier to ride around, then it would make a bit of a feature to work around with skilz. Torn Shirt can use more features, to develope skilz.

Or the Phantom Tree cutter could clear the whole mess, if they like to cut trees so much, do something constructive instead of destructive, by the way Joe did Torn Shirt in 34 minutes (not a typo, 34 minutes) before you cut the two trees, so no mater how much destruction you do, you can't beat SKILZ !!!! Torn Shirt needs more features not less, it's one of the few black diamonds in the area.

I seen Jay out there on a bike, great to see him enjoying all his hard work.. your rework of Murray is great by the way,, thanks for all you do Jay..
4 wheels transport the body, 2 wheels transport the soul !!!
DynoDon

Postby jreyst » December 3rd, 2018, 11:44 am

Can I skinny Brighton today? Fat bike is down with cracked frame, waiting for replacement frame so I'm stuck with skinny for a few weeks probably :(
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2016 Giant Trance 3
Winter: Garneau Gros Louis 2
Backup #1: 2007 Giant Trance
Backup #2: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby WICCMB » December 4th, 2018, 9:26 am

jreyst wrote:Can I skinny Brighton today? Fat bike is down with cracked frame, waiting for replacement frame so I'm stuck with skinny for a few weeks probably :(

You can skinny Brighton any day. It handles rain better than any trail in SE Michigan. It is leafy, and when damp, there will be slick spots...so keep that in mind.

Go ride. Enjoy!
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby poirier » December 6th, 2018, 9:57 am

How many skinnies are there at BRec? I am only aware of the one on Murray Lake.
World's Best Dad Bod

This forum is to be used for entertainment purposes only
poirier

Postby DynoDon » December 6th, 2018, 11:06 am

I think you are right, there is one skinny on Murray loop by Murray Lk campground. I would like to see more featues on Torn Shirt to make up for the 2 trees taken out earlier this year, (but Torn Shirt can never get enough features) it's barely a black diamond now, it needs more trail features that take skilz to maneuver over not around... Murray Lk, and the other loops are great, thats an intermediate trail, more skinnies, log piules, wouldn't be bad there, but those usually have go arounds, Torn Shirts needs off cambers, jumps, drops, don't get me rong its great as is, but harder would make it more of a challenge, like a black diamond should be.
DynoDon

Postby jreyst » December 6th, 2018, 11:10 am

Yeah I have a hard time seeing how Torn Shirt is black diamond.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2016 Giant Trance 3
Winter: Garneau Gros Louis 2
Backup #1: 2007 Giant Trance
Backup #2: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby c0nsumer » December 6th, 2018, 11:41 am

jreyst wrote:Yeah I have a hard time seeing how Torn Shirt is black diamond.

Difficulty designations should be relative. For the area, it's probably black diamond. Compared to UP trails, it'd be blue. Beyond the normal guidelines it's relative to the area.

Here's the general guidelines: https://www.imba.com/sites/default/file ... System.jpg

Note that per here Torn Shirt would probably be Easy or maybe More Difficult. Nothing in the rating system involves how difficult physically (cardio/muscle) wise it is to get through, just the trail surface/steepness.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby DynoDon » December 12th, 2018, 5:37 pm

I Fixed up the tree down on Torn Shirt at the 1 1/4 mile, and the same tree at the 1 1/2 mile, I filled in the root hole at the 1 1/4 mile, cut/broke some of the roots off the tree, then I rode it, it had some small stumps that were redirecting the front tire, I sawed them off at ground level, cleaned it all up, rode it again, good to go. Then I worked on the other end of the tree at the 1 1/2 mile, cleared it, cleaned it up, rode it, good to go, thats two new features, that sure don't make up for the 2 trees that were cut down by an idiot, but its rideable now, a berm may form on both of them, or someone could build them up, but the ground is frozen now, the stump hole will need more dirt in the future if it gets packed down, but its good for now, and the tree doesn't really need to be cut unless someone wants to clean up the roods sticking up in the air.
All the trails are good to go now.
DynoDon

Postby BigfootDenny » December 14th, 2018, 5:20 pm

If you want to make it more difficult, try riding it Backwards... at night :D It's a great bit of fun, especially in winter on a fatty.
BigfootDenny

Postby DynoDon » December 14th, 2018, 7:30 pm

BigfootDenny wrote:

If you want to make it more difficult, try riding it Backwards... at night :D It's a great bit of fun, especially in winter on a fatty.

A black diamond trail should be more difficult, we have enough dumbed down trails in SE Michigan. I shouldn't have to ride my clown bike on a use to be black diamond to make it difficult... Torn shirt deserves more features, Torn Shirt, and D loop at Highland are the only black diamond trails in the area.
I see people that go around roots, trees, rocks, they can't climb water bars, can't even use skills to go around trees, they cut them down, or make a go around if its beyond their skill set, and they spin out going up hills cuz" they don't have the skill set that comes with riding more difficult trails, but they sure can ride fast on the rest of the trails, trees, roots, rocks, and water bars are part of Michigan trails, we shouldn't have to take them all out, or ride on bikes with tires bigger then my Harley has, so roadies can ride on smooth trails.
DynoDon

Postby derekv » December 15th, 2018, 11:07 am

You can skinny Brighton any day. It handles rain better than any trail in SE Michigan. It is leafy, and when damp, there will be slick spots...so keep that in mind.

Is this true even with the freeze-thaw slime we have going on today?
derekv

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions