Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby CardsHockey » June 30th, 2020, 3:38 pm

crustaceous_flora wrote:Heard through the grapevine that Poto got a bunch of money to put towards working on the trail, and one of the proposed sections might be the downhill(*beep* On Wheels on strava) after the boy scout hill/sun tan climb. Please don't let this be true, that's the only decently rowdy downhill around! Go fix those geo scale mat areas or the other snoozer downhill sections instead. Keep the root drops on *beep* On Wheels please.

Agreed on leaving this section alone (or minimally fixing it for erosion reasons) as it is by far my favorite part of Poto.
CardsHockey

Postby benjaminpohl » July 2nd, 2020, 3:33 pm

Rode early this morning to avoid the heat wave.
Almost no one else (bikers/hikers) on trail.
Trail was very dry, very sandy in many areas.
Several trees down. Some looked like they just fell, others seems like they were cut down as part of a trail maintenance program.
Wonderful trail, my favorite in SE Michigan.
benjaminpohl

Postby rcab23 » July 9th, 2020, 8:33 am

HeII on wheels is the closest thing to pisgah - black mtn, around here. it may be 20 seconds long but its great please please dont touch it! gapping those root drops brings too much joy in my *beep* life.
rcab23

Postby kbankes » July 9th, 2020, 9:44 am

rcab23 wrote:HeII on wheels is the closest thing to pisgah - black mtn, around here. it may be 20 seconds long but its great please please dont touch it! gapping those root drops brings too much joy in my *beep* life.
One of too few legit uses of my dropper post in the area. Love that part of Poto.
kbankes

Postby nolan » July 24th, 2020, 10:59 am

Great conditions this morning but the amount of foot traffic this place gets nowadays is just insane. Fond memories of riding here weekday mornings 10 years ago and never seeing another soul. Hopefully will be shutdown to bikes soon before someone gets seriously hurt. With this level of activity too many sections of trail are simply too fast and too sketchy to be safely multi use
nolan

Postby Ecruz » July 24th, 2020, 11:30 am

nolan wrote:Great conditions this morning but the amount of foot traffic this place gets nowadays is just insane. Fond memories of riding here weekday mornings 10 years ago and never seeing another soul. Hopefully will be shutdown to bikes soon before someone gets seriously hurt. With this level of activity too many sections of trail are simply too fast and too sketchy to be safely multi use

The last couple of times I've been out there, there were a LOT of hikers. However, I rode yesterday around 5:00 and saw 2 groups of hikers within the first mile or so then only 2 other people the rest of the trail. I guess I just hit the right time. But I do agree, there are a lot of fast, rough spots were it would easy for someone to get hurt.
Ecruz

Postby Paul Brown » July 24th, 2020, 9:00 pm

nolan wrote: Hopefully will be shutdown to bikes soon before someone gets seriously hurt.

Why the *beep* would you post this in a mtb forum, troll.
Paul Brown

Postby crustaceous_flora » July 26th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Poto is just Island Lake with bigger hills. Both are extremely wide, full of traffic, and an all out roadie watt fest. Still a sick trail but the amount of backwards riders with no helmets, dogs on no leash, hikers going the same direction as bikers with headphones in, and strollers on the trail have been a huge buzzkill all summer. Go ride highland/holly/torn shirt to avoid the crowds imo
crustaceous_flora

Postby crustaceous_flora » October 17th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Even more cheap lines since the last time I rode here, all over the trail. At least some have been closed off so far....haha
crustaceous_flora

Postby crustaceous_flora » October 17th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Also I heard from a birdie that PotoMBA is hiring the DTE trail builder guys to "fix" some spots of poto in the upcoming future. I only hope poto doesn't become a paved highway like DTE or the new snoozer at Stony. Poto is good fast old school riding with some of the best downhills around. Don't destroy *beep* on Wheels please....that's the sickest downhill west of US 23.
crustaceous_flora

Postby batgirl1 » October 18th, 2020, 8:04 am

Please don't change Poto. Please. I ride all across the states. part of the fun in that, is seeing the unique trails and topo that go with it. knowing we have ones like Poto and Highland and Brighton rec here. the kind of trails that show our great unique trails we have to offer. When ever I come across the machine based trails...I feel like I could be , well, just anywhere. It could be DTE , it could be Merrill, or maybe i'm in new sections of Brown County .It could be any flow trail in the U.S. If I ride a Spectrum trail anywhere I go, I automatically know its his. Its like eating at Mcdonalds. Anywhere you eat it , you get the same experience. with no idea of the complexity and the flavors of the area you are in. Please don't make Poto just another Mcdonalds.
"If life was easy, where would all the adventure be?"

Team - Bloom Roofing
batgirl1

Postby Mikeyb64 » October 18th, 2020, 8:22 am

It's weird that these McDonalds trails are some of the highest rated and busiest trails around.
Mikeyb64

Postby batgirl1 » October 18th, 2020, 8:32 am

Do not get me wrong, I am not dissing DTE. Every town has it's Mcdonalds. All im saying is that, how cool is it that in this small area we have such diverse trails. Why on earth would you screw with the coolness of diversity?
As a side note...A conversation I had with a rider in Wisconsin discussing trails..."oh yes" he said," I have heard of Poto. In years past we have traveled through there and always stopped to ride." I replied "oh have you heard of our new DTE." " Yes" he said back," but we have those here."......
"If life was easy, where would all the adventure be?"

Team - Bloom Roofing
batgirl1

Postby DynoDon » October 18th, 2020, 12:02 pm

I would like to see Poto back to a single track, those 30 ft wide areas are not right, some armoring, getting rid of that plastic junk, I like what they did at the trailhead, if thats an example of what they have in mind, ok as long as they keep boy scout downhill as is, an not cover the trail with sandstone, dealing with the sand where roots an waterbars have been removed, plus figure out how to get wannabe engineers from altering the trails, cutting roots, creating go arounds. The original 17 mile loop was much harder then the 18.5 now, we can't go back, I don't thing anyone wants to, there is plenty more land with great features that can be added, there is need for maintenance that for sure. I don't think anyone wants another flow trail, I'm sure they get that, I'm glad something is finally getting done.
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby b_b » October 18th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Mikeyb64 wrote:It's weird that these McDonalds trails are some of the highest rated and busiest trails around.

Not really as they're easy to ride and have a big audience. Not half as many people ride Highland since it's harder.
b_b

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions