Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby mtbdudex » November 5th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Ok, I think many people missed the DTE <> Poto posts earlier as this is a trail conditions thread.

JAJ - thx for clarity on whats going on, I'm nowhere near you for miles / # times ridden Poto, more like ridden at least 150-ish times since mid 1990's, maybe more?
I've taken my 14 & 16 year old son's to Poto 6-7 times since last summer, and to DTE 5 times this year.
DTE is my amusement park MTB trail; I laugh, hoot , holler all over it. My boys love it , going there with me. Taken my "younger" brother once - he's only 55, he loved DTE.
Poto is my authentic vert feet cardio MTB trail, it's training for more challenging Michigan rooty / rocky trails also, like those by Copper Harbor / MTU, etc. My boys, well lets say they will ride Poto with dad, but rather ride DTE.

Fresh eyes: Does the Poto DNR park rangers have data on MTB accidents, where they occurred, at fault, etc?
Data is not good/bad, just data, example: it might help to know over time the washout at bottom of geoweb was possibly causing more injuries due to gorges in sand that suck front tire in, or other.
Honestly , the huge bolders at trailhead ... I'm 50/50 on them, no issue riding them, just for me they don't add anything to the "Poto experience" , I'm guessing they were put there as efficient rain washout control stuff .. all good. Finally, Poto is a huge huge loop trail, not sure if possibly a few more miles can be added for a Poto + experience .... whatever that is defined as
mtbdudex

Postby Mikeyb64 » November 5th, 2020, 2:48 pm

The DNR has very little data on accidents on the trail, hike or bike. Most people don't report their injury to the DNR, same with 911\EMS.

The rock armoring at the trail head was to fix the water runoff from the road and a little bit of showcasing on what could be done with rock armoring.

The odds of adding brand new tail miles to the Poto are pretty slim. It's a bureaucratic nightmare. That said, a "Poto + experience" might happen with an official Poto to DTE connector trail.
Mikeyb64

Postby wannabee » November 6th, 2020, 7:39 am

Mikeyb64 wrote: That said, a "Poto + experience" might happen with an official Poto to DTE connector trail.

That's what I've been hoping for for a long time, even pre DTE. Pretty exciting news!
wannabee

Postby DynoDon » November 6th, 2020, 8:06 am

wannabee wrote:
Mikeyb64 wrote: That said, a "Poto + experience" might happen with an official Poto to DTE connector trail.

That's what I've been hoping for for a long time, even pre DTE. Pretty exciting news!

It has a gravel road connection now, download the Triple Trail Challenge map, the upper return road of the TTC, it leaves Poto at the Boy Scout camp, gets to M 52 Lot of DTE, It will be great to stay on trails, but this route is good to go now..
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby wannabee » November 9th, 2020, 9:24 am

DynoDon wrote:
wannabee wrote:

It has a gravel road connection now, download the Triple Trail Challenge map, the upper return road of the TTC, it leaves Poto at the Boy Scout camp, gets to M 52 Lot of DTE, It will be great to stay on trails, but this route is good to go now..

Ya, i've road that several times, hoping for the trail to open up, really don't enjoy DTE enough to ride gravel roads down there and back.
wannabee

Poto: Potawatomi

Postby mtbdudex » November 10th, 2020, 8:23 am

I did the TTC on 9/17, here’s the route between Poto and DTE. Curious what portion “may” become the Poto + experience.

It’s clear the DNR state land is sandwiched with private land, so I get it, making new trails is not simple nor easy.

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk
mtbdudex

Postby b_b » November 11th, 2020, 4:58 pm

I believe this shows state vs private land sections between dte and poto.
https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/publicatio ... nckney.pdf
Waterloo trail already runs between, but I understand if that remains hiking only.
b_b

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions