Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby mtbdudex » November 5th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Ok, I think many people missed the DTE <> Poto posts earlier as this is a trail conditions thread.

JAJ - thx for clarity on whats going on, I'm nowhere near you for miles / # times ridden Poto, more like ridden at least 150-ish times since mid 1990's, maybe more?
I've taken my 14 & 16 year old son's to Poto 6-7 times since last summer, and to DTE 5 times this year.
DTE is my amusement park MTB trail; I laugh, hoot , holler all over it. My boys love it , going there with me. Taken my "younger" brother once - he's only 55, he loved DTE.
Poto is my authentic vert feet cardio MTB trail, it's training for more challenging Michigan rooty / rocky trails also, like those by Copper Harbor / MTU, etc. My boys, well lets say they will ride Poto with dad, but rather ride DTE.

Fresh eyes: Does the Poto DNR park rangers have data on MTB accidents, where they occurred, at fault, etc?
Data is not good/bad, just data, example: it might help to know over time the washout at bottom of geoweb was possibly causing more injuries due to gorges in sand that suck front tire in, or other.
Honestly , the huge bolders at trailhead ... I'm 50/50 on them, no issue riding them, just for me they don't add anything to the "Poto experience" , I'm guessing they were put there as efficient rain washout control stuff .. all good. Finally, Poto is a huge huge loop trail, not sure if possibly a few more miles can be added for a Poto + experience .... whatever that is defined as
mtbdudex

Postby Mikeyb64 » November 5th, 2020, 2:48 pm

The DNR has very little data on accidents on the trail, hike or bike. Most people don't report their injury to the DNR, same with 911\EMS.

The rock armoring at the trail head was to fix the water runoff from the road and a little bit of showcasing on what could be done with rock armoring.

The odds of adding brand new tail miles to the Poto are pretty slim. It's a bureaucratic nightmare. That said, a "Poto + experience" might happen with an official Poto to DTE connector trail.
Mikeyb64

Postby wannabee » November 6th, 2020, 7:39 am

Mikeyb64 wrote: That said, a "Poto + experience" might happen with an official Poto to DTE connector trail.

That's what I've been hoping for for a long time, even pre DTE. Pretty exciting news!
wannabee

Postby DynoDon » November 6th, 2020, 8:06 am

wannabee wrote:
Mikeyb64 wrote: That said, a "Poto + experience" might happen with an official Poto to DTE connector trail.

That's what I've been hoping for for a long time, even pre DTE. Pretty exciting news!

It has a gravel road connection now, download the Triple Trail Challenge map, the upper return road of the TTC, it leaves Poto at the Boy Scout camp, gets to M 52 Lot of DTE, It will be great to stay on trails, but this route is good to go now..
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby wannabee » November 9th, 2020, 9:24 am

DynoDon wrote:
wannabee wrote:

It has a gravel road connection now, download the Triple Trail Challenge map, the upper return road of the TTC, it leaves Poto at the Boy Scout camp, gets to M 52 Lot of DTE, It will be great to stay on trails, but this route is good to go now..

Ya, i've road that several times, hoping for the trail to open up, really don't enjoy DTE enough to ride gravel roads down there and back.
wannabee

Postby mtbdudex » November 10th, 2020, 8:23 am

I did the TTC on 9/17, here’s the route between Poto and DTE. Curious what portion “may” become the Poto + experience.

It’s clear the DNR state land is sandwiched with private land, so I get it, making new trails is not simple nor easy.

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk
mtbdudex

Postby b_b » November 11th, 2020, 4:58 pm

I believe this shows state vs private land sections between dte and poto.
https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/publicatio ... nckney.pdf
Waterloo trail already runs between, but I understand if that remains hiking only.
b_b

Postby a2avery » March 15th, 2021, 12:18 pm

Hiked the trail today. Although the majority of trail is in good shape there are a lot of sections that are still thawing and really need more time. I’m not sure what the official guidelines are but I definitely will not be taking the bike out here yet.
a2avery

Postby DynoDon » March 27th, 2021, 6:30 am

I rode Poto and Silver Lake Wensday before the rain, it was pretty good, very little mud, but more go around have formed, some of the go arounds have go arounds, unbelievable, did you really ride the Poto if you go around everything,, what a mess,,the new sandstone stuff is great, maybe they can fix the trail an get the Ugly go arounds out of it... sad, Michigan has trees, Trees have roots, Trails have roots, learn to ride them, if you, or your bike can't ride the roots, maybe you got the wrong bike, or the wrong sport,, there are plenty of paved trails, gravel roads, even easier trails, or roads,, but POTO ????????
DynoDon

Postby DynoDon » May 22nd, 2021, 7:48 am

I just rode Poto, I've ridden it since the early 80's, it was a great SINGLETRACK until about 10 years ago when STRAVA came out, thats when it got go arounds, now its like one of my old girlfriends, it just keeps getting wider, and wider..... SAD !!!!
DynoDon

Postby crustaceous_flora » May 23rd, 2021, 7:28 pm

This trail gets wider every time I ride it. The cheater lines have cheater lines now. I can drive my car down 69% of this trail smh
crustaceous_flora

Postby steveracer » May 26th, 2021, 9:47 am

I will have to get out and ride there soon before top fuel dragsters start running there on Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby mtbdudex » June 15th, 2021, 3:12 pm

DynoDon wrote:I just rode Poto, I've ridden it since the early 80's, it was a great SINGLETRACK until about 10 years ago when STRAVA came out, thats when it got go arounds, now its like one of my old girlfriends, it just keeps getting wider, and wider..... SAD !!!!
Actually agree, the Poto I’ve know 1995 -200X is so much wider now… dunno why

I still have fun and smile every.single.time I ride Poto though

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk
mtbdudex

Postby c0nsumer » June 17th, 2021, 8:04 am

mtbdudex wrote:Actually agree, the Poto I’ve know 1995 -200X is so much wider now… dunno why

Use. And popularity. For hiking, biking, etc.

Walkers walk two abreast so they can chat? Trails get wider.

Bikes pass walkers? Trails get wider.

Folks ride around stuff in the trail? Trail gets wider.

It's just the nature of well-used trails, and Poto is one of the most well-used trails in SE Michigan.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby b_b » June 19th, 2021, 8:45 am

All that plus everyone has been told to keep 6 feet apart (when passing). I have no doubt this and more covid traffic has widened many trails. Also seeing this at local park could drive a Mack truck down some trails now!
b_b

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions