Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby Mikeyb64 » October 18th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Currently DTE is ranked #44 in the world, #3 in Michigan and #1 in the Lower Peninsula. That's some tasty McDonalds! DTE is most likely the busiest trail in the LP, with actual trail counter data to back that up.
There is a reason people don't ride Highland and it's not because it's harder.
Mikeyb64

Postby crustaceous_flora » October 18th, 2020, 3:58 pm

There is no way that DTE is top 50 in the world, lmao. Its not even top 50 in the US. Dont look at singletracks . com. That site is so misleading. Its all jerries. Last I saw it had Milford Trail ranked higher than Harlow Lake in Marquette, hahahaha
crustaceous_flora

Postby crustaceous_flora » October 18th, 2020, 4:01 pm

People ride dte a lot because you can take you girlfriend, grandma, children, and noobs there. It takes no skill to ride dte at all. Its a basic cookie cutter flow trail that you can find anywhere in the country. Keep poto how it is, old school and rooty with natural trail features. I agree with Don. Get rid of the geo mats, do some armoring, and keep the boy scout downhill as it is. Making everything a generic flow trail is seriously so boring. Also, people don't ride highland because they don't know how to carry speed through turns or climb. Its a real G trail and I'm glad its staying that way.
crustaceous_flora

Postby Mikeyb64 » October 18th, 2020, 5:26 pm

The good old sexist bros of mountain biking. When a girl can ride a trail, it's no longer cool.
Mikeyb64

Postby Josh McCreedy » October 18th, 2020, 5:30 pm

Can you give any insight on why the builder of Highland liked DTE so much?

crustaceous_flora wrote:People ride dte a lot because you can take you girlfriend, grandma, children, and noobs there. It takes no skill to ride dte at all. Its a basic cookie cutter flow trail that you can find anywhere in the country. Keep poto how it is, old school and rooty with natural trail features. I agree with Don. Get rid of the geo mats, do some armoring, and keep the boy scout downhill as it is. Making everything a generic flow trail is seriously so boring. Also, people don't ride highland because they don't know how to carry speed through turns or climb. Its a real G trail and I'm glad its staying that way.
Josh McCreedy

Postby Robert Yankus » October 18th, 2020, 5:31 pm

Speaking of Highland:
Is just a bug, root, rock infested, and overgrown trail.
It has no flow with a poor layout.
That what I tell everybody i meet at other trails, sort of...
Bob Yankus
Robert Yankus

Postby Josh McCreedy » October 18th, 2020, 5:34 pm

Spoken like a trail builder: never satisfied.

Robert Yankus wrote:Speaking of Highland:
Is just a bug, root, rock infested, and overgrown trail.
It has no flow with a poor layout.
That what I tell everybody i meet at other trails, sort of...
Bob Yankus
Josh McCreedy

Postby crustaceous_flora » October 18th, 2020, 5:45 pm

I appreciate the input from the trail builder, haha. But highland has sick flow imo. You can't sub 1:30/1:25 without hitting all the corners properly and carrying speed up climbs
crustaceous_flora

Postby mr.goodbar » October 18th, 2020, 5:56 pm

Mikeyb64 wrote:The good old sexist bros of mountain biking. When a girl can ride a trail, it's no longer cool.

I believe the point was that if you're getting your girlfriend/boyfriend/parents/noob friend, whoever into mountain biking, you're not taking them to Gruber's or Highland for their first trail....you're taking them to DTE
mr.goodbar

Postby Robert Yankus » October 18th, 2020, 6:12 pm

"Can you give any insight on why the builder of Highland liked DTE so much"

I should answer that.
DTE is such a great example of what can be accomplished by people with a vision & passion. All involved took a spectacular piece of land and created an art work. I personally find it adds another option to our network.

On a hot sunny day, not wanting to be burned to a crisp, I did my 5 lap day. Felt great the next day because it's so smooth. My Highland 100 took a week to recover. Both trails served a purpose.

How many people remember when we only had Pontiac lake , Island Lake, and Poto to ride. We are so lucky to have choices now.
Bob Yankus
Robert Yankus

Postby batgirl1 » October 19th, 2020, 9:00 am

Dear Mr. Bob Yankus. I met you and kinda rode with you earlier this spring at a surprise meet up on Sugar trail out here at DTE. I expressed it then, and I will express it now. Highland is and always will be one of my most treasured trails. It is truly unique and a stand on its own trail. Challenging and exciting. I never am positive I can make all the climbs, nor carry the speed properly through corners, nor go as fast as the last time on a fun descent, what have you. It is one of the best trails around to make you realize that you hope you are always learning and building new skills. You created a masterpiece in my humble opinion.
With that being said, I do think DTE is neat...but primarily because it is so unique to this little area. It gives this area a richness in diversity of trails and trail networks that is amazingly cool. In a week you can swap your skill set in any number of ways on any number of trails. DTE gives you a smooth roller coaster experience that is all of its own. I as a female and a grandmother am not going to say...you can bring your girlfriends or grandmother there. Although I do understand the point that makes and am in no way offended by it. I will say you can bring anyone there and they should find some kinda fun with it. including people that are new to the sport. The trail is a fantastic addition to our area.
That too being said. It is cool to have the one...It is not cool to have the idea that the rest of our cool unique trails would be changed from the character that they have held for years upon years to become closer to the new wave Mcdonalds roller coaster trails. I am so confused as to why the idea might even be entertained. There are and should be different trails, different experiences, and different abilities needed. I love somedays just going out and taking it easy..on other days I love to go out and challenge myself and build new skills and confidence. There at this time in the area is a bountiful of different unique trails for all kinds of experiences....Keep DTE exactly in the character it is, and keep the character of the other trails exactly as they are. its what makes this area so neat and diverse and a bad ass area for people from all over to travel to. A paved trail network, and a different style single track trail every single day of the week if they so choose. To hit any of my fav "old school trails and see Machine built Mcdonalds added in truly breaks this old ladies heart. I have been riding these trails for more than half my life. I have donated Time, sweat and money. They are part of my life. I have to hope and believe enough people feel the way I do that we will not see these trails slowly fade away until all that's left is Mcdonalds.
Thank you for taking the time to read.
Signed,
This Old Bat Girl who loves those Old school trails
Last edited by batgirl1 on October 19th, 2020, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If life was easy, where would all the adventure be?"

Team - Bloom Roofing
batgirl1

Postby Mikeyb64 » October 19th, 2020, 9:40 am

If you are not a fan of what Spectrum Trails has done with the Bobcat, Walnut and Schooner Trace (Google FailBoss) in Brown County or the new entrance at Poto, you're not going to like what's planned for the trail. For me, I can't wait to have a Big Mac and a Happy Meal in the same town.
Mikeyb64

Postby b_b » October 19th, 2020, 10:49 am

batgirl1 wrote:I have been riding these trails for longer than I have been alive.

Wow that's impressive! :shock:
b_b

Postby b_b » October 19th, 2020, 10:55 am

For the record I'm good with what has been done on Brec Murray and Torn where they fixed some of the worst eroded areas with newer sustainable flow style trail but kept most of the original trail in tact and I'd expect Poto improvements should be similar situation. I like most of our trails DTE, Poto, Brec, Highland, Plra, etc. and it's nice to have these options and trails with different character.
b_b

Postby batgirl1 » October 19th, 2020, 10:57 am

b_b wrote:
batgirl1 wrote:I have been riding these trails for longer than I have been alive.

Wow that's impressive! :shock:

Bwhahaha, I might of needed to edit that part.
"If life was easy, where would all the adventure be?"

Team - Bloom Roofing
batgirl1

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions