Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby tadraper » March 24th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Amsone wrote:Is Poto in rideable conditions? I’m thinking on going there tomorrow noon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rode this morning 7am very rideable. By noon I would expect it to be very soft.

T
2017 Salsa Powderkeg
2016 C-Dale T1 Tandem
2010 Gary Fisher Triton SS with my son
tadraper

Postby John Beeson » March 26th, 2018, 7:47 am

This time of year, it all depends on the temperature overnight. If it's below freezing all night, then early morning rides are excellent before the sun really heats things up. But after 10am or so, you are really pushing it for the thin thaw conditions that should you ride in, will just damage the trail and any vegetation that grows there.

I have always found the early morning rides after overnight freezing temps to be ideal. And again, it really depends on whether the sun and air temps start to rise too quickly - especially on the sun facing portions of the trail.

Did you go yesterday? If so, what did you see?
John Beeson

Postby tadraper » March 26th, 2018, 10:29 am

John Beeson wrote:This time of year, it all depends on the temperature overnight. If it's below freezing all night, then early morning rides are excellent before the sun really heats things up. But after 10am or so, you are really pushing it for the thin thaw conditions that should you ride in, will just damage the trail and any vegetation that grows there.

I have always found the early morning rides after overnight freezing temps to be ideal. And again, it really depends on whether the sun and air temps start to rise too quickly - especially on the sun facing portions of the trail.

Did you go yesterday? If so, what did you see?

I rode yesterday morning and trail was great. I was done by 10am so the trail was froze solid.
2017 Salsa Powderkeg
2016 C-Dale T1 Tandem
2010 Gary Fisher Triton SS with my son
tadraper

Postby Eurohorse » April 24th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Hey all, I don't get out to Poto often. I'm running in the 50k Sunday - how well does Poto shed rain if it rains for a lot of this week?
Eurohorse

Postby John Beeson » April 24th, 2018, 1:24 pm

If my memory serves me, the running portion is the northern Gosling loop, right? That does NOT shed water very well at all. Thicker clay soil with lots of underground water with exposed slivers to the trail.
John Beeson

Postby Wingo » April 24th, 2018, 3:19 pm

The running course stays off of Gosling loop.

50K is 2 pinks and a yellow. It should be in good shape for Sunday.

Wingo

Postby Eurohorse » April 24th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Thank you both for the info!
Eurohorse

Postby rvandie » April 25th, 2018, 10:57 am

Eurohorse wrote:Thank you both for the info!

so we should avoid Poto Sunday?
rvandie

Postby Eurohorse » April 25th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Yes, and Saturday. Running Fit is running events all weekend. There is a half-marathon Saturday, then marathon, 5k and 50k go Sunday. I have run the 50k the last two years and I feel like I remember coming across a couple bikers on the trails. I don't know how it works in terms of closing the trail for bikers during race time to keep the runners and bikers safe. They do have time requirements for the runners, so they should be cleared out by 3:30. We have to be through the two big blue loops by 2:15 then we're restricted to the yellow loop to finish things up. If you go, toss me a beer! http://www.trailmarathon.com/raceinfo2/ ... scriptions
Eurohorse

Postby Paul Brown » May 17th, 2018, 8:12 am

Has anybody been on the Poto in the last day or so?
Normally ride it Thursdays, I am looking for a report on the condition after all the rain.
Thanks.
Paul Brown

Postby branden » May 17th, 2018, 9:21 am

Rode yesterday evening but skipped the Gosling loop. The usual wet/muddy spots still hadn't dried out but most of them were short enough to hop over anyway. Get out there!
branden

Postby kbankes » May 28th, 2018, 9:12 am

Rode yesterday Sunday 5/27 morning. Tree down at the lumberjack camp (that's after Patterson Lk rd I think). Couple of mud bogs including a big surprise northbound on Gosling. Overall very good conditions. Fair big of foot traffic within 2 miles of the beach but everybody played nice.
kbankes

Postby c0nsumer » May 28th, 2018, 7:28 pm

There's also a ridiculously large tree that fell in the middle of the day today, maybe 1/2 of the way down the reroute after the Jurassic Park fence. I want to say it's a 20" - 24" tree? Looks like it broke off some time around 12:00-2:00pm, and took a whole other tree with it, yanking that tree's rootball out. Not a safe location at all, as that's a quite-fast section of trail.

Otherwise, barring the aforementioned brushy tree thing, the trail's in quite good shape. The air above the trail is a bit warm, though.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby CTB » June 23rd, 2018, 12:15 pm

How's the weather been out there? Would love to get a ride in on Sunday, but I have my doubts.
CTB

Postby Bunko » June 27th, 2018, 9:15 am

Is Dexter Townhall Road open now? Last time I was out there its was closed to thru traffic, and all tore up.
Bunko

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions