Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby DynoDon » May 14th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Rode Poto today, Goslin loop had some mud, very little on the main loop, no trees down, great day for a ride.
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 744
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby rcab23 » May 15th, 2019, 7:38 am

amazing day for poto yesterday
rcab23
 
Posts: 56
Joined: January 15th, 2018, 3:51 pm
Location: Livonia MI

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby kaysee » June 13th, 2019, 6:50 pm

How much rain did the area get today? Enough to make Friday a no go? It certainly was by my area but curious about the Pinckney area.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kaysee
 
Posts: 231
Joined: May 10th, 2011, 1:50 pm
Location: Royal Oak

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby DynoDon » June 22nd, 2019, 6:59 pm

I rode Poto after I did all the loops at DTE today,, there was mud in the usual places, not real bad, but it was there, I didn't do Goslin section, I was told there are 4 trees down on Crooked Lake loop...
Poto got some money to put into the trail, I told 'em, "Make it back into a Single Track", everyone I've talked to agreed...
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 744
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby zweiner14 » June 30th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Big tree (20" or larger diameter) fell across trail last night. 2 miles in at the top of the hill before the rock garden.

Trail's perfect otherwise!
zweiner14
 
Posts: 1
Joined: December 11th, 2018, 8:16 am
Location: Plymouth

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby DynoDon » July 2nd, 2019, 11:07 am

Poto got heavy rain around 10 am today, the big tree is still down at Flat Top Rock, the trail was ok before the storm, some slimmy spots, especially on Goslin Loop, a lot of the mud puddles are now mud holes, what a mess.. it looks like people were riding through the puddles, but now they are deep holes, lots of ruts too, and that was before the rain. I was just jumping into Pickerel Lake when the rain started, it was a lot of rain..
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 744
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby DynoDon » July 15th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Poto was sandy in the worst spots, dry, fast in others, some leftover trail damage from the mud, a small tree across the trail, just after the Crooked Lake conecction, around the 15 yard stick, it can be ridden over, other than that Poto is good to go.

Crooked Lake trail has 3 big trees down, 2 down next to each other between the two bridges that look over Pickeral Lake, the other one is about 1/2 mile west of those trees, chain saw will work best.. sand wasn't too bad on Crooked, it doesn't seem to be getting much bike use these days, its still a great trail..
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 744
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby 93tankus » July 18th, 2019, 8:54 am

Rode trail last night. Couple of large trees down that would require chainsaw. One was just towards the bottom of the sandy hill climb before the shortcut. The second was a couple miles after the shortcut intersection, just shy of the long fence portion with the U-M property.

Thanks so much in advance for the trail work!
93tankus
 
Posts: 18
Joined: July 16th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby crustaceous_flora » August 26th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Noticed some trail work being done on the entrance to Poto, looks like they are reinforcing that climb with rocks I'm assuming? Is there going to be anything else added or some upcoming trail work done to Poto to spice it up a bit? (btw the cheater lines here are getting out of control haha)
crustaceous_flora
 
Posts: 76
Joined: December 27th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby jajones » August 26th, 2019, 2:49 pm

crustaceous_flora wrote:Noticed some trail work being done on the entrance to Poto, looks like they are reinforcing that climb with rocks I'm assuming? Is there going to be anything else added or some upcoming trail work done to Poto to spice it up a bit? (btw the cheater lines here are getting out of control haha)


There is a plan we are trying to get into place with MDNR to give the Poto a "rejuvenation facelift" over the next few years. This would most likely involve reworking parts of the trail to provide for: de-berming, rolling grade dips, some possible rock armoring of certain areas and some potential rerouting. It would not involve "making the Poto like DTE". It would not involve bike optimization of trail tread as Poto is multi-use with a history as a backcountry hiking/biking trail, not a "flow" mountain bike trail. More details will come out as plan progression occurs.
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Mountain Biking Association
Advocacy Committee, Michigan Mountain Biking Association (MMBA)
Board Member, Potawatomi Mountain Biking Association (PMBA)
User avatar
jajones
 
Posts: 4928
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 9:39 am
Location: 42? 23' 28" , -83? 55' 33"

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby crustaceous_flora » August 26th, 2019, 3:03 pm

Don't worry, I don't want it anything like DTE haha. The more roots, rocks, drops, and old school rugged feel, the better.
crustaceous_flora
 
Posts: 76
Joined: December 27th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby DynoDon » August 26th, 2019, 3:10 pm

jajones wrote:
crustaceous_flora wrote:Noticed some trail work being done on the entrance to Poto, looks like they are reinforcing that climb with rocks I'm assuming? Is there going to be anything else added or some upcoming trail work done to Poto to spice it up a bit? (btw the cheater lines here are getting out of control haha)


There is a plan we are trying to get into place with MDNR to give the Poto a "rejuvenation facelift" over the next few years. This would most likely involve reworking parts of the trail to provide for: de-berming, rolling grade dips, some possible rock armoring of certain areas and some potential rerouting. It would not involve "making the Poto like DTE". It would not involve bike optimization of trail tread as Poto is multi-use with a history as a backcountry hiking/biking trail, not a "flow" mountain bike trail. More details will come out as plan progression occurs.



GREAT STUFF, just making it back into a SINGLE TRACK would be great, but I know you won't let us down Jason.. it will be great to have two distination trails in SW Michigan... keep up the good work !!!!!
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 744
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby DynoDon » August 27th, 2019, 6:10 am

The armoring is done, there are pictures on SE Michigan Facebook page,, I want to ride it now, too bad it rained, next time I go to DTE I'll stop and at least ride that section, thanks for the work, and to the contributors.. Great Stuff, can't wait to see whats next for Poto.
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon
 
Posts: 744
Joined: October 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Location: Garden City

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby jreyst » August 27th, 2019, 10:50 am

So I didn't look too closely at the rock armoring but will they be exceptionally slick when wet?
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2016 Giant Trance 3
Winter: 2018 Specialized Fatboy
Backup: 2007 Giant Trance I
User avatar
jreyst
 
Posts: 182
Joined: August 5th, 2009, 10:31 am

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby c0nsumer » August 27th, 2019, 10:52 am

jreyst wrote:So I didn't look too closely at the rock armoring but will they be exceptionally slick when wet?


Pretty sure it's sandstone, therefore, no.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7582
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron