Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby jreyst » June 27th, 2018, 9:16 am

It was "open" a couple of weeks ago when I was last there, but only one direction at a time since they were paving the new blacktop. I'd suspect it's 100% open by now.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2016 Giant Trance 3
Winter: Garneau Gros Louis 2
Backup #1: 2007 Giant Trance
Backup #2: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby DynoDon » July 2nd, 2018, 4:06 pm

Trail was in good condition today, I was surprised at how much of the trail was trimmed, thanks to the people doing the work, my first time riding Poto in a long time, I can't believe how much easier its getting, there are more round a bouts then on Michigan highways,, if we get rid of more roots, drops, corners, and go around more features, it will be as smoth as Dexter Townhall road is now..
4 wheels transport the body, 2 wheels transport the soul !!!
DynoDon

Postby Jared13 » July 2nd, 2018, 6:46 pm

DynoDon wrote:Trail was in good condition today, I was surprised at how much of the trail was trimmed, thanks to the people doing the work, my first time riding Poto in a long time, I can't believe how much easier its getting, there are more round a bouts then on Michigan highways,, if we get rid of more roots, drops, corners, and go around more features, it will be as smoth as Dexter Townhall road is now..

If you ride the non-main line, it's a lot more fun! (And not as easy.)
Jared13

Postby DynoDon » July 2nd, 2018, 7:35 pm

I do try to ride the old lines, some are actually still better lines, but like water going down hill, I find my old butt hitting the easy stuff, the bugs were mean today, and I was done at 11 am..
DynoDon

Postby crustaceous_flora » July 2nd, 2018, 11:07 pm

I'm actually kind of annoyed about how easy our trails are technically, I mean Poto isn't even a singletrack most of the time, it's 10ft wide in many places, and I always see riders on full sus avoiding techy sections and drops..like come on. I always thought our trails were really easy technically and riding out of state recently really reminded me just how easy they are. For example, Pisgah has insanely steep grades, big mandatory drops, mandatory technical sections that are 20x harder than anything at Highland, rutted downhills full of rocks/roots/booters/drops, you name it. So much more fun. I wish people would stop dumbing our trails down. Get better or go ride Green Lake/Island Lake. Our downhills, although short, could be so much better than what they are.
crustaceous_flora

Postby DynoDon » July 3rd, 2018, 5:51 am

crustaceous_flora wrote:I'm actually kind of annoyed about how easy our trails are technically, I mean Poto isn't even a singletrack most of the time, it's 10ft wide in many places, and I always see riders on full sus avoiding techy sections and drops..like come on. I always thought our trails were really easy technically and riding out of state recently really reminded me just how easy they are. For example, Pisgah has insanely steep grades, big mandatory drops, mandatory technical sections that are 20x harder than anything at Highland, rutted downhills full of rocks/roots/booters/drops, you name it. So much more fun. I wish people would stop dumbing our trails down. Get better or go ride Green Lake/Island Lake. Our downhills, although short, could be so much better than what they are.

I've been riding Poto since the early 80's, It was my go to trial for years, it was fun yesterday, but I'm riding Torn Shirt most of the time now, the people that ride Torn Shirt respect it and they actually have Skillz, (Many Thanx to them for their continued understanding for the Jewel Torn Shirt is), as for DTE, Michigan has trees, what will happen when the roots come out ????.. that will be interesting..
IF you don't have Skillz PLEASE don't ride Torn Shirt, it don't need your saws, or round a bouts, stay out at the trails you've already damaged, or get SKILLZ !!!!!
DynoDon

Postby crustaceous_flora » July 3rd, 2018, 6:07 am

Haha, Torn Shirt and Highland are definitely the best trails in SE MI imo and are stupidly fun to ride. Good roots/rocks, a few drops, off camber runs and some really good turns. Those downhills are a great place to improve bike handling and skills overall most definitely :)
crustaceous_flora

Postby rcab23 » July 3rd, 2018, 7:52 am

amen to that^
rcab23

Postby Maestro » August 8th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Picked up a lot of dead fall today. Was able to clear one tree that was blocking the trail. But there are still (3) trees blocking the trail that need chainsaw attention. First about 2.5 miles in from start. Second one, is about 3.5 miles in, before Hankerd road crossing. Third one, is after the hill climb at Crescent drive, but before the bridge crossing at half moon lake.
Ken S.
Maestro

Postby DynoDon » December 8th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Abominable Snowman ride had a good turn out, trail was frozen, fast, as good as can be expected..
DynoDon

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions