MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Highland

Postby WICCMB » April 13th, 2020, 10:45 am

I have ridden Highland 3 times in the past 2 weeks. Granted, there are people in the parking lot (although I have NOT ever seen it full), but you see virtually nobody on the trail. The most I saw was on a weekend, and there were 6 other bikers (over 16.5 miles), and single hiker and a pair of trail runners. Not even close to being a problem.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby ihateplaindave » April 13th, 2020, 11:46 am

That's sounds more like what I've experienced.
ihateplaindave

Postby mwilson7 » April 19th, 2020, 7:38 am

Can anyone shed some light on the new mountain bike trail on the west side of Bomount? Was out hiking with my dog and came across this trail which looked like a MB trail. Then within the space of 20 minutes saw 3 bikes on this new trail.

I found the start of it down near Weaver but am interested to know where it ends and if it's a connector which means 2 way traffic. Always happy to see more Trails in my backyard!
Mark
mwilson7

Postby Hudnut » April 19th, 2020, 8:04 am

I rode it yesterday. both start/end across the road at the Beaumont entrance to C-loop. Going south is new singletrack that gets you to downtown milford. going west is a little out and back DHish run
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

MCMBA: Highland

Postby steveracer » April 19th, 2020, 7:34 pm

We rode Highland.
Last edited by steveracer on April 20th, 2020, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby crustaceous_flora » June 18th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Huge trees down on Highland yesterday at 5pm. On both B and D. The one on D was gnarly, had to walk through thick brush to get around it.
crustaceous_flora

Postby crustaceous_flora » August 24th, 2020, 6:08 pm

Is the Carlos Ramirez memorial ride happening this year?
crustaceous_flora

Postby tmbrown » August 25th, 2020, 6:32 am

We’re working on it, we need DNR approval. (Permit)
Bill Althoff the long time park manager retired the first of the year, were dealing with a temporary manager plus Covid!
tmbrown

Postby tmbrown » August 25th, 2020, 11:14 am

Looks like October 3rd… No food this year BYO.
tmbrown

Postby crustaceous_flora » August 25th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Thanks for the information!
crustaceous_flora

Postby crustaceous_flora » October 17th, 2020, 2:27 pm

New cheap lines all over the best trail in SE MI. One of the sickest B loop downhills before you get to C loop, there was something removed, so instead of hitting the fast corners you can now straight line all the way down. The entrance to D loop has a new line going around the awkward tree at the beginning(I liked the jank tree line). On the last half of A loop there is too many new lines to count....completely going around rocks/roots and generally just straightening the trail out. Who is doing this? I come to highland to get away from the nonsense that is plaguing all other trails in the area. I just hope roots and rocks don't start getting removed....
crustaceous_flora

Postby crustaceous_flora » October 17th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Also I'd love to help do trail work here and fix problem spots if permitted. Highland is by far my favorite and IMO the best trail in SE MI. I'd hate to see it get easier.
crustaceous_flora

Postby Robert Yankus » October 18th, 2020, 6:47 pm

"Highland is by far my favorite and IMO the best trail in SE MI. I'd hate to see it get easier"

Change, I find, is really hard for some people to handle.
I've thought of hundreds of small revisions, trimming small sapling, corner adjustments, ect. All with the goal of better and safer trail. Not easier. I like challenges but not what I call landmines. Any mention to the local crowd brought a
reply "dont change anything".
The cutting of a perfectly good corner really ticks me off thou. How many logs have I had to move to block those.

I wonder if DTE has, in some small way, made some want to go faster & easier.
Remember Highand was as smooth as DTE the first 5 years.
Bob Yankus
Robert Yankus

Postby batgirl1 » October 19th, 2020, 9:00 am

Dear Mr. Bob Yankus. I met you and kinda rode with you earlier this spring at a surprise meet up on Sugar trail out here at DTE. I expressed it then, and I will express it now. Highland is and always will be one of my most treasured trails. It is truly unique and a stand on its own trail. Challenging and exciting. I never am positive I can make all the climbs, nor carry the speed properly through corners, nor go as fast as the last time on a fun descent, what have you. It is one of the best trails around to make you realize that you hope you are always learning and building new skills. You created a masterpiece in my humble opinion.
With that being said, I do think DTE is neat...but primarily because it is so unique to this little area. It gives this area a richness in diversity of trails and trail networks that is amazingly cool. In a week you can swap your skill set in any number of ways on any number of trails. DTE gives you a smooth roller coaster experience that is all of its own. I as a female am not going to say...you can bring your girlfriends or Grandmother there.But I do understand the point and am in no way offended by it. I will say you can bring anyone there and they should find some kinda fun with it. including people that are new to the sport. The trail is a fantastic addition to our area.
That too being said. It is cool to have the one...It is not cool to have the idea that the rest of our cool unique trails would be changed from the character that they have held for years upon years to become closer to the new wave Mcdonalds roller coaster trails. I am so confused as to why the idea might even be entertained. There are and should be different trails, different experiences, and different abilities needed. I love somedays just going out and taking it easy..on other days I love to go out and challenge myself and build new skills and confidence. There at this time in the area is a bountiful of different unique trails for all kinds of experiences....Keep DTE exactly in the character it is, and keep the character of the other trails exactly as they are. its what makes this area so neat and diverse and a bad ass area for people from all over to travel to. A paved trail network, and a different style single track trail every single day of the week if they so choose. To hit any of my fav "old school trails and see Machine built Mcdonalds added in truly breaks this old ladies heart. I have been riding these trails for longer than I have been alive. I have donated Time, sweat and money. They are part of my life. I have to hope and believe enough people feel the way I do that we will not see these trails slowly fade away until all that's left is Mcdonalds.
Thank you for taking the time to read.
Signed,
This Old Bat Girl who loves those Old school trails
Last edited by batgirl1 on October 19th, 2020, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If life was easy, where would all the adventure be?"

Team - Bloom Roofing
batgirl1

Postby Robert Yankus » October 19th, 2020, 9:37 am

Batgirl,
Anyone that tells me D loop is their favorite is special in my book. Thanks for the kind words.
This summer I helped Holly & Kim at ICD trails near Lansing.
Again, passionate people doing great work.
Trail building is an addiction.
Bob Yankus
Robert Yankus

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions