MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Highland

Postby kcnado » March 19th, 2018, 11:08 am

If it wasn't still snow covered, it was a sloppy mud mess on Sunday afternoon. I was biking the backroads and did a quick pop in of the trails to check... getting impatient, but can't wait until they're clear and dry.
-----
"If I can't win, I will make the fellow ahead of me break the record!"
kcnado

MCMBA: Highland

Postby CannondaleMike » April 1st, 2018, 3:51 pm

Any updates on trail condition? Good to go?
CannondaleMike

Postby AllMountin' » April 2nd, 2018, 5:11 am

CannondaleMike wrote:Any updates on trail condition? Good to go?
Was good Saturday morning, but it did rain. Prolly still good? There was a large tree down on d loop, I think between mile twelve and a horse trail crossing.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby chefjj » April 9th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Anybody know what trail conditions are like?
chefjj

Postby mattu1665 » April 9th, 2018, 8:46 pm

chefjj wrote:Anybody know what trail conditions are like?
Snow covered. I live four miles from the trail and I have 2" of fresh snow on my back patio.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
mattu1665

Postby largemelon » April 12th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Rode A and B. Surprisingly minimal down wood (cleared that) so thank you to whomever cleared before me.
Tim R.
MCMBA Patroller
largemelon

Postby Hartwood » April 20th, 2018, 9:51 pm

Looking to ride Highland soon. I’m a newer rider (2 years) and have been waiting until my skills are worthy. Can you guys tell me how it compares to Poto? I’ve done that multiple times and am fine now, I’ve also done Big Kame no problem. Just looking for a comparison. I would start with loops A and B first. Thanks.
Hartland Mi.

2016 Salsa Mukluk
2015 Diamondback XC
Hartwood

Postby jreyst » April 20th, 2018, 9:54 pm

If you've done Poto and Big Kame I recommend doing all 4 loops at Highland. Technically they're much more advanced than anything at DTE (DTE is fun and fast but not technically hard). Pay attention and try all four loops at Highland. There's several nice rooty downhill spots so pay attention to brakes and handling and you should be good. If you're fine with distance at Poto you should be ok with all four loops at Highland.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2016 Giant Trance 3
Winter: Garneau Gros Louis 2
Backup #1: 2007 Giant Trance
Backup #2: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby DynoDon » May 15th, 2018, 2:37 pm

I rode A & B today, water about every mile or so, other then that it was good, TMBrown was headed out there with a shovel, dig it,, he will get some of the water to drain I bet.. great trail...
Pay it Forward, just kick some sticks off the trail, better yet pick up some sticks/branches/trash, big sticks become small sticks, small sticks take out rear derailleurs, the derailleur you save may be your own, or mine.
DynoDon

Postby tmbrown » May 16th, 2018, 7:10 am

Nice meeting you Don, thanks for clearing the deadfall on A & B, most guys just ride over the stuff and don’t bother stopping, their worried about Strava time.
tmbrown

Postby DynoDon » May 16th, 2018, 8:29 pm

I lost my stamina out there somewhere, if you find it I guess you can can have it, I'll get more somewhere,,, keep up the good work TM, trail was great.
Pay it Forward, just kick some sticks off the trail, better yet pick up some sticks/branches/trash, big sticks become small sticks, small sticks take out rear derailleurs, the derailleur you save may be your own, or mine.
DynoDon

Postby Trance » May 26th, 2018, 4:29 pm

Rode A & D, dry and good. Man, D is a real a$$ kicker! Evidently I too have lost my stamina. Hats off to you guys who ride that whole trail at once, it definitely one of the toughest trails around. I don't get out to Highland much, but when I do, I am reminded just how hard it is.
Trance

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions