CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby jpspring » October 20th, 2017, 9:43 pm

trees taken care of and found the keys too :)
jpspring

Postby jmann28 » October 30th, 2017, 5:22 am

Had a great ride Sunday morning. Even after all the rain there was only one soft spot on the whole course. Wasn’t really any slick spots with leaves which is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jmann28

Postby jumbo » December 2nd, 2017, 2:58 pm

Trail was 98% awesome and 2% sloppy today around noon. Some areas had thawed and were muddy and rutted. Best to ride early or fat to not leave a trace.

2017 Epic
2016 Fat Boy
2014 Stumpjumper
2012 Crux
jumbo

Postby amadkins » December 2nd, 2017, 3:23 pm

jumbo wrote:Trail was 98% awesome and 2% sloppy today around noon. Some areas had thawed and were muddy and rutted. Best to ride early or fat to not leave a trace.

The fast section right before the last climb was especially greasy. Nearly dumped me at about 20mph.
amadkins

Postby joemel08 » December 5th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Trail was in great shape early Sunday morning, only frozen rutted up section was on the slight uphill after the R/C airport rd crossing
joemel08

Postby jumbo » December 23rd, 2017, 9:37 am

I rode the 2nd half of the trail on Thursday, from the campground road to the start. It had been packed down by snowmobiles following the snow last week and was somewhat icy due to the thaw/freeze. If you have studded tires you are good to go. If not, take it slow on the treacherous parts.

2017 Epic
2016 Fat Boy
2014 Stumpjumper
2012 Crux
jumbo

Postby amadkins » December 31st, 2017, 3:14 pm

Tried the North Half, but only made it a few hundred yards into the trail. Good bit of foot traffic over what appeared to be an older, snow covered snowmobile track. I was washing out like crazy so I bailed. Those with ultra-mega floatation machines will likely fare better. The old Maceday Lake road bed and the park road were fairly well packed, but I was still having to push pretty hard to overcome rolling resistance.

Beautiful day out there though - cold, but very tolerable with the sun.
amadkins

Postby Uncle Rolls » March 5th, 2018, 2:14 pm

This time of year all trails are at risk of major damage from over anxious riders wanting to get out.

If there is residual snow and or overnight freezing conditions, the rule of thumb should be to "Stay Off" and ride pavement, (Sidewalks, Road, Subs, Commercial areas) or backroads to get your early season miles in until the trial have fully thawed and firmed up. These areas also provide a different form of riding for the off-season.

By doing this you avoid this risk to the trails that we love to ride, but also to yourself and your bike.
Uncle Rolls

Postby KLydesdale » March 8th, 2018, 8:37 am

Checked out trail around 7pm last evening. 8+ inches of snow on the ground so it was just about impossible to ride in untouched stuff. It’s good packing snow though, so even one pass by a snowmobile and a Clydesdale on a fat bike was able to ride on it. More snowmobiles were out and about as I rode around. More snow fell overnight and it continues today.

No danger of trail damage when your wheels don’t even touch the trail.
KLydesdale

Postby Steve_Balogh » March 10th, 2018, 6:15 pm

I did a full lap on the MTB trail today. Deepest snow is beteen Mile 2-4 and even more between 6-7. At mile 5 another fat bike passed me which was nice to have a track to ride in. Most of the trail had not been touched. The last mile or so snowmobiles packed it down. Some others were going out when I finished so tomorrow morning may be a bit easier. No shortage of snow, between mile 6-7 I saw drifts up to my knees and hubs.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Uncle Rolls » March 10th, 2018, 9:02 pm

I just wanted to clarify my earlier point. If the trails are snow covered or frozen solid, there is no harm, get out and enjoy. My intent was aimed at OverAnxious riders getting out on wet/muddy semi-thawed trails which if ridden are at risk of serious damage + who wants to ride in those conditions and spend hours on post ride cleaning and maintenance.
Uncle Rolls

Postby KLydesdale » March 12th, 2018, 7:37 am

Steve_Balogh wrote:I did a full lap on the MTB trail today. Deepest snow is beteen Mile 2-4 and even more between 6-7. At mile 5 another fat bike passed me which was nice to have a track to ride in. Most of the trail had not been touched. The last mile or so snowmobiles packed it down. Some others were going out when I finished so tomorrow morning may be a bit easier. No shortage of snow, between mile 6-7 I saw drifts up to my knees and hubs.

When I did the North Half of the trail on Sat around noon, I was the third rider through that part. Was wondering if one of the other tracks was yours. Kudos for doing the whole trail. I was happy doing just part of it. Even with tracks, I did more hike-a-bike than I really care to.
KLydesdale

Postby Steve_Balogh » March 12th, 2018, 11:36 am

Went better on Sunday. Same guy passed me again at mile 8. Roughest was getting to mile marker 7 some hiker traffic helped a bit, but that area between 6-7 had the most snow. Thanks for the additional grooming, made getting to the campground road even quicker.
Steve_Balogh

Postby liamsdad » March 20th, 2018, 8:24 am

Anyone out riding lately?
liamsdad

Postby tallpaul » March 23rd, 2018, 8:20 pm

I'm also curious, has anyone been out there lately?

Thanks,
Paul
tallpaul

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions