CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby K2Beast » July 22nd, 2004, 2:13 pm

RideCannondale wrote:Hey all, I have never been out to Pontiac Lake, and my girlfriend and I are going to be camping there this Friday and possibly Saturday. Anyone know how close the campground is to the trails? How are the trails looking out there?

Also, is anyone planning to ride out there Saturday? I am still kinda new at this and would love to be able to ride with someone who could take me through.

:wink: What time were you thinking of riding on Saturday :?:
8) You can start and finish the loop from the campground parking lot...
:) Actually, I prefer riding it that way. If you are riding before 10am on Saturday morning I could show you the loop... I am riding Highland at noon... PM me if you are interested.
Adam aka K2Beast (FR/DH/XC) .__ :twisted:
GT Zaskar (rigid) - - - - - - - - - \ <
Azonic DS1 (SS/rigid) - - - - (( )) (( ))
Yeti AS-X (DH/Freeride) -------------
Surly 1x1 (SS/rigid)
Diamondback Drifter
K2Beast

Tree down

Postby Jason L. » July 23rd, 2004, 6:36 am

Large tree down after long switch back climb with in the first couple miles. Need chain saw to remove.
Jason L.

Re: Tree down

Postby RobW » July 23rd, 2004, 8:40 am

More Beer Please ! wrote:Large tree down after long switch back climb with in the first couple miles. Need chain saw to remove.

It's not up to me, but I say leave it. It's almost doable now, and as it settles and people clear it, it'll get notched and become easier to clean. Besides, it's a good excuse to dismount for a breather...
RobW

Postby KLydesdale » July 23rd, 2004, 11:09 pm

When did you guys last ride PLRA? When I rode there wednesday night (7/21) there was no tree in the section you describe. It was there Monday night however.
KLydesdale

Postby dirt » July 26th, 2004, 8:52 am

Rode yesterday (Sunday 7/26) and there was still the tree down just after the big switchback climb..

Not easily doable, since it's on so much of an angle to the trail. Should be removed.
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby Trek930 » July 27th, 2004, 10:45 am

Yes I was there on Sat. had to get off bike :-(
Small but able : MMBP Comments made by me, are mine and not those of the MMBA, NMBP, or IMBA
Ride: Giant NRS 1
Exercise: Surly Cross Check.
Trek930

Postby Tom_L. » August 3rd, 2004, 6:38 pm

There are people working on paving Williams Lk. Rd. between Gale and Airport Rds. near PLRA. They just showed up today with signs that said "Roadwork starting 8-9-04". Well they must have started early because they were attacking the road from both ends today with those giant asphalt eating machines. There could be some delays getting to PLRA if you use Williams Lake Rd. between Gale and Airport Rds.
Tom_L.

Bone Dry

Postby boboh » August 18th, 2004, 1:24 pm

trails were bone dry... the last time i rode them i had my old GT with a rigid fork... how did i manage that?

on another note: my buddy ran into a tree
boboh

Tree down after mile 4

Postby rockymtn » August 25th, 2004, 9:56 am

Careful, a tree fell down across the trail just after the 4 mile mark. It is on the downhill just after the hard left. Probably will need a saw to clear it up.
rockymtn

Good Job.

Postby DoUVooDoo » September 1st, 2004, 11:15 am

:D Road Pontiac Lake for the first time in a couple of years. What fun!!! Great job maintaining the trail. Love the down hill switchbacks!!!
DoUVooDoo

re: Rode Pontiac Lake for first time

Postby rockymtn » September 1st, 2004, 11:34 am

downhill switchbacks :?: Are you sure you rode the loop the correct direction? It is supposed to be ridden in a clockwise direction and the switchbacks would be found when climbing.

Just want to make sure you are going the right way so you don't get hurt when the trail is busy. :)

If you did ride it counterclockwise, I am jealous. I have wondered how it would be to ride backwards. I love that trail, especially now that it has gotten washed out a little to show off the rocks and roots.
Miles commuted to work - 890
my blog
rockymtn

Re: re: Rode Pontiac Lake for first time

Postby thejode » September 1st, 2004, 11:50 am

rockymtn wrote:downhill switchbacks :?: Are you sure you rode the loop the correct direction? It is supposed to be ridden in a clockwise direction and the switchbacks would be found when climbing.

Just want to make sure you are going the right way so you don't get hurt when the trail is busy. :)

If you did ride it counterclockwise, I am jealous. I have wondered how it would be to ride backwards. I love that trail, especially now that it has gotten washed out a little to show off the rocks and roots.

He is probably talking about the bowl section.
thejode

Poor Trail Work

Postby Crispy » October 12th, 2004, 12:41 pm

Right in the beginning of the trail on the very 2nd climb where you enter the woods there was some very poor bench cutting done. Sometimes I don't understand why certain trail work is done when the trail was fine to begin with. Now it is just a wide sandy mess when before it was a nice packed down section with a couple roots to ride over. Leave the trails alone. -C-
Christopher P. Filipiak
www.konamidwestracing.com
Days Commuted to work (3) Miles (155)
Crispy

Postby craig » October 13th, 2004, 9:29 am

Right in the beginning of the trail on the very 2nd climb where you enter the woods there was some very poor bench cutting done.

I rode there yesterday and saw this section. I agree that this was a mistake - the hill is less rideable now and twice as wide. The roots that were there were easily rideable (compared to the rest of PLRA).
BTW, what is "bench-cutting"?
craig

Postby jumbo » October 31st, 2004, 10:57 am

Rode at Pontiac on Saturday. There were several small trees down on the backside, once you cross the campground road. A couple were really small and I moved them out of the way. A couple were slightly larger and will require a chainsaw.

My ride was in the middle of the high winds so therer may be additional trees down now.
jumbo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions