CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

PLRA 12/5/04

Postby bOOger » December 5th, 2004, 9:11 pm

Rode there today at 2:00 pm. Parts of he trail that have a lot of sun exposure were really soupy and muddy, other parts were dry. Overall the better time to ride is early in the day before the top layer thws. Lots of tire ruts left, but this should heal as the deep layers have yet to freeze.
"Insanity is repeating the same mistake over and over while expecting a different result." - A sane person
Ask me about the Michigan Mountain Bike Patrol
bOOger

Postby jandan » January 16th, 2005, 10:19 pm

I rode two laps on Saturday and today and the trail was 100% rideable. You can stand on the climbs with good traction and keep control in the turns. There is a little packed/frozen snow covering most of the trail and some areas that are just frozen dirt. No studs necessary just let some air out of the tires. For single-speed a 2:1 would be about right. dan.
jandan

Postby scat silvurz » January 17th, 2005, 12:13 am

rode saturday, went too quick into a downhill corner, started sliding w/ nokian 296's, bad tank slapper, hit a big rock w/ rear wheel, big nose wheelie, saw tree, hit tree as shin hit handlebar, big endo, pain, sore and swollen....
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

ok scott your ready for more

Postby opselite275 » January 17th, 2005, 1:50 am

lol dude you crack me are you sure you were not trying some crazy tarzan move like hanging from and branch or something while swinging around the corner.We will have to riding sometime maybe some of those moves and bike control can rub on me lol and im not alking about the reck though you know what I mean.
opselite275

Postby DJamisMcEndo » February 8th, 2005, 6:42 pm

In anticipation of Sunday's (2/13/05) ride, has anyone been on the trails at Pontiac Trail since 2/6/05, and would you recommend studded tires?

I've got it covered either way, but would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

DJ
DJamisMcEndo

Postby Spinwheel » February 8th, 2005, 9:44 pm

If you have studs I'd say use them.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby KLydesdale » February 10th, 2005, 8:50 am

Ah, the great stud debate...

With the melt-down/refreeze we had earlier this week, you'd think it the conditions would warrant the use of studs. But an inch or so of snow fell in the area on Wed. morning so those studs may not even contact any ice that may have formed on the trail. What to do, what to do, what to do...

I plan on heading out to PLRA for a ride tonight or tomorrow and plan on taking my studded and unstudded wheelsets so I can make a trailside decision.

Stay tuned to this channel...
KLydesdale

Postby KLydesdale » February 11th, 2005, 7:49 am

Okay, checked out PLRA last night. Every thing is pretty well covered with the snow that fell Wednesday a.m. There's with some icy patches underneath that makes some areas treacherous. A lot of the MTB loop is pretty ridable but some parts are fairly brutal due to frozen footprints and ruts under the snow.

Stud or no studs? Flip a coin. They didn't keep my buddy and I from slipping around some because the snow layer prevented the studs from contacting the ice. But they did enable us to recover a few times once we started sliding. This advantage however, was countered by having to push those Nokian Extremes through a lot of snowy areas that would have been more easily negotiated with regular tires.
KLydesdale

Postby KLydesdale » February 11th, 2005, 7:50 am

Okay, checked out PLRA last night. Every thing is pretty well covered with the snow that fell Wednesday a.m. There's with some icy patches underneath that makes some areas treacherous. A lot of the MTB loop is pretty ridable but some parts are fairly brutal due to frozen footprints and ruts under the snow.

Stud or no studs? Flip a coin. They didn't keep my buddy and I from slipping around some because the snow layer prevented the studs from contacting the ice. But they did enable us to recover a few times once we started sliding. This advantage however, was countered by having to push those Nokian Extremes through a lot of snowy areas that would have been more easily negotiated with regular tires.
KLydesdale

Ice, Ice Baby.....

Postby KLydesdale » March 10th, 2005, 8:52 am

Regarding riding at PLRA on 3/9/05
Tom_L wrote:I didn't get out there until around 9:30 pm. By that time there was a light layer of fine snow over the glare ice which hid what was underneath. I was pedaling along Maceday Lk. Rd. just west of the horse stable thinking "Boy this ice sure has super low rolling resistance!" and wham...down I went. It was so slick I couldn't even stand up, I had to crawl over to the snowy side of the road to get footing.

That was repeated once more after a bunch of bounces from icy rut to rut and that bent my rear wheel so the tire rubbed the chainstay. Then I couldn't get up the icy hill near the campground so I turned around and rode home without further mishap. So how was your ride?

My ride was quite <ahem> "interesting". That had to be the iciest I've seen it in the nine or so winters I've been going out there. Luckily my buddies and I were able to get out there about 5pm so we rode in daylight. I would not have wanted to ride some of the trails we went on in the dark. Because of all the rutted ice and hardpacked snow with frozen footprint, snowmobile and four-wheeler tracks, you really had to keep on your toes and pick your lines carefully. We did find some snowmobile tracks that were relatively smooth and pretty fun to ride but even then you had to watch for ruts formed by water runoff. There were lots of those whoop-de-dos snowmobiles tend to form with ice in the wallows between them. On the sections of trail that were rougher, bouncing around trying to keep the studs biting into something was a challenge.

That one section of road between the horse stable and the curve in the road was solid ice the width of the road. We had gone eastwards on the road to get back to our cars parked at Maceday/Cross so we rode down the hill by the campground. My butt was puckered so tight on that section it could have made diamonds outta coal. Luckily with the daylight, we could ahead see to pick our way through the ruts. I was leery of having to put a foot down for the reasons you experienced so we took it slow and easy and let the studs do their job.
KLydesdale

I rode PLRA 3-31-05 9AM

Postby STEVE LENTNER » March 31st, 2005, 12:32 pm

Here's my report = It was a bit muddy! Way too much slush on the trail. Not to fast.The sun has not gotten through the trees yet.But it was fun
STEVE LENTNER

Postby Moose » March 31st, 2005, 12:40 pm

"It was a bit muddy! Way too much slush on the trail."
This is why the rest of us have refrained from riding the trails! :!: Riding in the mud and slush will just create problems after the trail finally firms up. Nobody likes riding through rutted tracks.
Moose

Postby weimie » March 31st, 2005, 12:44 pm

Yup....that's why the trail guide says to avoid :evil:
weimie

Postby RideOrDieDAN » March 31st, 2005, 12:50 pm

hope your there for the trail day cuz you?re duties will consist of, rock recovery, armoring tree roots with rocks, removing fallin trees, creating check dams, breaking the ground for trail closing and you have to buy lunch for everyone.
Last edited by RideOrDieDAN on March 31st, 2005, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Fraser
RideOrDieDAN

My frist time out

Postby STEVE LENTNER » March 31st, 2005, 12:52 pm

I'm new at this
STEVE LENTNER

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions