CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby steveracer » December 3rd, 2020, 4:43 pm

crustaceous_flora wrote:Just park at the lake george entrance/bald mtn and ride in for free haha
Ha ha. Been there done that. However now I can get the old man sticker![emoji8][emoji317][emoji3060]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby mrbikester » December 5th, 2020, 1:32 pm

I say that by voting for the Oakland Parks millage and in the past and always buying an annual pass to support the parks was worth it. In addition to all that ,the security is much greater parking car at Addison lot than on Lake Georg Rd..Bald Mtn lot.
mrbikester

Postby c0nsumer » December 5th, 2020, 1:57 pm

I'm not an Oakland County resident and buy a park pass because it's worth it. Addison Oaks is great to ride and the maintenance there is all done by park employees. The Orion Oaks dog park is also outstanding. It frustrates me when I see folks with multi-thousand-dollar bikes selfishly skirt parking fees and *beep* and moan about park admission that costs less than a single quality tire. If those trails didn't exist there wouldn't be anywhere to ride those nice bikes.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Roy » December 21st, 2020, 9:58 am

You mean , like parking at the school or state park?
This practice has been suggested on this blog for years. (and maybe by you)

It was a huge topic on this blog when Addison added the trail opening on Lake George Road , so the Stare Park trail and the Addison trail could be linked together.
Addison encourages ridders to "skirt the entrance fee".
And to add insult to injury Pauly (MMBA ) built the Addison trail. I think they now pay Pauly to maintain it.
This is first item I have ever disagreed with you on.
You are totally wrong to chide any MMBA rider, or any rider for skirting the fees.
Addison is a MMBA trail built by one MMBA member, not the park.
That trail would not exist if Pauly had not built it.

Would you also chide an Okland County resident who did not pay an extra $11 to use a state park, who then parked at addition and crossed Lake George road to ride the trail in the state park?

Roy
Roy

Postby c0nsumer » December 21st, 2020, 10:53 am

Roy: I do, and will continue to, criticize anyone who skirts park fees and still rides trails within those parks. Parks are chronically short of funding, and being short on funds makes it difficult for parks to sustain trail systems. Going out of one's way to avoid park fees, and being supportive of others doing the same, is basically the other side of the no-dig-no-ride concern. We need to support the park systems so they continue to thrive so that the trails can continue to thrive.

My suggestions to link AO and BM-N -- because it's a great big loop -- is wholly different from suggesting that folks park outside the park just to avoid the fees.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Dark-Fx » December 21st, 2020, 11:34 am

People riding into the park after parking somewhere near the park, and not paying for a park pass, was one of the issues that was expressed to us about the new connector we might be putting in to make the crossing into/from BMN safer. I think it's still one of their biggest worries about it. I tried to convince them that they aren't going to get those kinds of people to pay for a pass even if they removed the existing exit, and it'd be causing the same harm to those that do pay, and may actually discourage people some from paying.
Unless otherwise stated my posts and comments are my own and not representative of any group.
Dark-Fx

Postby b_b » December 21st, 2020, 2:40 pm

I wonder if they'd get more revenue if they charged the same price for out of county and/or lower annual fee. The out of county up-charge may be a deterrent for some if farther away and less convenient. I understand the 2010 state move from $24 vehicle permit to $10 passport actually increased revenue. If it's inexpensive then more people may just get it even if they don't know if they'll use it a lot.
Last edited by b_b on December 21st, 2020, 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
b_b

Postby c0nsumer » December 21st, 2020, 4:23 pm

b_b wrote:I wonder if they'd get more revenue if they charged the same price for out of county and/or lower annual fee. The out of county up-charge may be a deterrent for some if farther away and less convenient. I understand the 2010 state move from $24 vehicle permit to $10 passport actually increased revenue. If it's inexpensive then more people may just get it even if they don't know if they'll use it a lot.

I live in Macomb County, and the extra charge is why I buy the joint parks pass. It ends up being much cheaper for me as a non-resident.

I think the out of county charge is more because the parks are partially funded via millages. If Oakland County residents didn't get a discount on their parks passes, there'd be little justification for passing a millage.

Personally, I'd like to see taxes be high enough that there's no entrance fees at all, but that pretty much never flies. Heck, there's folks on this forum who are opposed to the concept of public parks in general, but I digress...
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby b_b » December 21st, 2020, 4:26 pm

Yeah $64 Park Perks metro+oakland is a good deal if you get metro sticker for Stony anyhow.
b_b

Postby c0nsumer » December 21st, 2020, 4:29 pm

b_b wrote:Yeah $64 Park Perks metro+oakland is a good deal if you get metro sticker for Stony anyhow.

Add in the Orion Oaks Dog Park and I think it's very much worth it. That park is outstanding.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby Steve_Kinley » December 21st, 2020, 7:22 pm

Roy: I do, and will continue to, criticize anyone who skirts park fees and still rides trails within those parks.

While not your current position, years back you were advocating for folks to buy an annual pass but also, if the daily pass was too much money, that they could park at the school and ride in.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby Dark-Fx » December 22nd, 2020, 11:16 am

Steve_Kinley wrote:
Roy: I do, and will continue to, criticize anyone who skirts park fees and still rides trails within those parks.

While not your current position, years back you were advocating for folks to buy an annual pass but also, if the daily pass was too much money, that they could park at the school and ride in.

I'm not going to go back through all of his posts, but I would be surprised if any of them were worded to specifically discourage people from paying for their access, as you are implying.
Unless otherwise stated my posts and comments are my own and not representative of any group.
Dark-Fx

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby Steve_Kinley » December 22nd, 2020, 11:31 am

I remember having this discussion before. As I stated, he does advocate for a season pass but also for just parking down the road at the school.

c0nsumer wrote:
gtrowbridge wrote:Is the Non resident entry fee for Addison really $10 for a daily like the mmba trail guide says it is?

Yep. Oakland County Parks are NOT cheap.

I suggest instead going to Stony Creek and buying a dual Metroparks / Oakland County pass, or parking at the school just down the road from Addison (Stony Creek Elementary) and riding in. As an added bonus the elementary is right between Addison and Bald Mountain North, with only 1-2 miles to each trail from the lot. It makes for a great starting point for both trails.
Steve_Kinley

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby c0nsumer » December 22nd, 2020, 12:42 pm

Steve_Kinley wrote:I remember having this discussion before. As I stated, he does advocate for a season pass but also for just parking down the road at the school.

Please cite a post to go with your claims.

I don't recall doing that for years, since I learned a lot more about cycling advocacy. Also, I haven't recommended anyone park at the school for any reason in a very long time, as it's an awful ride over to Addison. Either up Lake George (busy/long climb) or Predmore which is just rough and often quite busy. It wouldn't make sense as there's a bunch of much-closer places to legally park. I don't think that I personally have even been to the school lot for 7 or 8 years.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby Steve_Kinley » December 22nd, 2020, 1:19 pm

The post above yours quoted one you made years ago. I didn't infer that you are still advocating it, in fact I said that you had changed your position. In the post I quoted I was pointing out that you did mention parking at the school as an option as opposed to buying a pass. When you mentioned that you criticize people who ride in without paying, I thought you might have wanted to say that you used to feel the same way but have since learned more. You did later, but after the fact.
Steve_Kinley

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions