CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby PK » August 16th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Ahhhh. I noticed the pothole there Sunday.
Now I know why it exists....
I never paid much attention to that tree....(Must be my narrow bars)

Pete.
PK

Postby utabintarbo » August 17th, 2017, 7:27 am

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Likely removed because someone clipped it with their bars, and either had to be pulled out or complained. Addison has seemingly become very risk-averse, and responds to obstacles which don't materially affect the nature of the trail (such as this one) pretty quickly.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby Dark-Fx » August 17th, 2017, 8:44 am

utabintarbo wrote:Yeah, I noticed that as well. Likely removed because someone clipped it with their bars, and either had to be pulled out or complained. Addison has seemingly become very risk-averse, and responds to obstacles which don't materially affect the nature of the trail (such as this one) pretty quickly.

Your signature says you're the A-O TC and you don't know why it was removed? :)
Unless otherwise stated my posts and comments are my own and not representative of any group.
Dark-Fx

Postby utabintarbo » August 17th, 2017, 10:07 am

Dark-Fx wrote:
utabintarbo wrote:Yeah, I noticed that as well. Likely removed because someone clipped it with their bars, and either had to be pulled out or complained. Addison has seemingly become very risk-averse, and responds to obstacles which don't materially affect the nature of the trail (such as this one) pretty quickly.

Your signature says you're the A-O TC and you don't know why it was removed? :)

Yeah, well, the park doesn't need my permission to change the trail. I mostly just act as (partial) liaison.

But you probably already knew that, so... :P
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby mrbikester » August 31st, 2017, 8:03 pm

Trail was in great shape today. Saw Pauly out there hard at work working on The Wall. Lots of people riding late afternoon.Perfect day.
mrbikester

Postby mrbikester » August 31st, 2017, 8:05 pm

Trail was in great shape today. Saw Pauly out there hard at work working on The Wall. Lots of people riding late afternoon.Perfect day.
mrbikester

Postby Dell18 » September 4th, 2017, 11:50 am

I'm thinking I'm gonna do the Addison race this weekend and I might come down for a pre-ride Tues or Wed. I raced there in 2009 and had ridden it 2-3 times before that but haven't been back since. I remember liking the trail and can picture a couple sections and the parking lot in my head but that's about it. Any tips on finding my way around, what the race course will cover or anything else? Thanks.
Dell18

Postby ChrisW3st » September 4th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Dell18 wrote:I'm thinking I'm gonna do the Addison race this weekend and I might come down for a pre-ride Tues or Wed. I raced there in 2009 and had ridden it 2-3 times before that but haven't been back since. I remember liking the trail and can picture a couple sections and the parking lot in my head but that's about it. Any tips on finding my way around, what the race course will cover or anything else? Thanks.

http://www.cramba.org/storage/maps/addi ... Aug-09.pdf

The race will use all the single track (pink). The trail has had a few re-routes recently but nothing major has changed.
Chris Westerlund
CRAMBA - NMBP
LTU - MTB
ChrisW3st

Postby c0nsumer » September 4th, 2017, 1:33 pm

ChrisW3st wrote:
Dell18 wrote:I'm thinking I'm gonna do the Addison race this weekend and I might come down for a pre-ride Tues or Wed. I raced there in 2009 and had ridden it 2-3 times before that but haven't been back since. I remember liking the trail and can picture a couple sections and the parking lot in my head but that's about it. Any tips on finding my way around, what the race course will cover or anything else? Thanks.

http://www.cramba.org/storage/maps/addi ... Aug-09.pdf

The race will use all the single track (pink). The trail has had a few re-routes recently but nothing major has changed.

Adding on to that, the start/finish will have you starting in the trees near the big white building where the bathrooms are, riding along the beach, then keeping left and up into the trail. On the way out you'll stay left on the pavement, circle around the dirt parking area, then come back by that main building. Nothing that can't be figured out just before the race.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Steve_Kinley » September 4th, 2017, 2:25 pm

On the way out you'll stay left on the pavement, circle around the dirt parking area, then come back by that main building. Nothing that can't be figured out just before the race.

On the way out you are circling the dirt parking lot? I think you meant on the way out you stay left on the pavement and on the way back in you go around the dirt parking area and back by the main building. Unless you have some other way you are routing the course this year.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby SloMo » September 5th, 2017, 6:57 am

I think he means on the way out of the woods/singletrack.
Follow me on Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/9205583

2018 Trek Top fuel 9.9 RSL
2016 Salsa Warbird Rival 22 Carbon
2017 Salsa Beargrease Carbon
2018 Specialized Tarmac
SloMo

Postby Dell18 » September 9th, 2017, 9:11 am

$12 for non-resident?!?!? It's not Whistler and it's not like I'm from OHIO or something. Gonna have to find a place nearby to park and ride there next time. Maybe that middle school? I went down there Thursday and Yeah, I was right in remembering I liked the place. Nothing too exotic trail wise, it's just a place I find flat-out fun to ride. Really well kept right now. Trail is great shape and its marked super well and easy to find your way. I did have a little bit of memory to go on. Couple of things that I either completely forgot about or are new features are really nice. The signage with names for different sections is a nice touch. I showed up around 1pm and had the place completely to myself. I'll be down there Sunday for sure.
Dell18

Postby cjn1014 » September 10th, 2017, 8:25 am

Oakland County buddy. Non-resident=commoner. Speaking as one. Bald Mountain North is an option, if you have the yearly state endorsement.
We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "*beep*" on their airplanes because it's obscene!
cjn1014

Postby jnpcook » September 11th, 2017, 10:52 am

cjn1014 wrote:Bald Mountain North is an option, if you have the yearly state endorsement.

This is the best option. There is a parking area on Lake George Rd. north of Predmore Road which is part of the Bald Mountain North Unit. If you head North about 5 minutes you will see an entrance in the fence on the right side of the road for Addison Oaks. The parking area is near marker 12 on the Bald Mountain North Unit trail. A nice combination is to ride the Bald Mountain North Unit either before or after you ride Addison Oaks. Both trails are in great shape right now. Bald Mountain North Unit is actually pretty dry the entire length.

Another option if you like to frequent Huron Clinton Metroparks and also want to visit Oakland County Parks is to buy the joint pass. It is $59. Might be worth it if you use both parks frequently.

I had originally purchased only a Huron Clinton Metroparks pass and went to Addison Oaks. I asked at the gatehouse if I could pay the difference for the joint pass but they said NO, so I paid the $12 for the day pass since I am not from Oakland County. I then went to Lake St. Clair Metroparks and they gladly allowed me to pay the difference and trade in my Huron Clinton Metroparks sticker for the joint pass.
jnpcook

Postby lawn dart » September 12th, 2017, 11:21 am

The north parking lot at Oakview Middle School (on Lake George Road just south of W. Pridmore Road) is a popular parking area. It offers fairly quick access to both Addison Oaks & Bald Mountain North via Lake George Road.
Though I'm not adverse to paying to ride (and Paulie certainly adds value to Addison), it's nice to have options.
lawn dart

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions