CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby PK » October 8th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Finally fast today.
Tacky fast.
Just one or two puddles. One at the bottom of the big hill on the lake loop. Awkward spot, be careful.

Pete
PK

Postby Negaunee » October 13th, 2017, 5:01 pm

Rode Friday in the am. Trail was moist but no puddles or any real concerning mud. Stayed mostly clean. But, there were two places with trees down. The first was just before the 1 mile marker (about half a mile into the actual dirt track). It is at the bottom of a fast downhill so be careful. I was coming up on it fast and had to make the split second choice of hard braking or attempting a bunny-hop jump over the double tree mess. I attempted the bunny hop and failed due to it being TWO trees. Minor crash but no real damage. I stopped and walked over it on lap two :-) The other downed tree is at the very end, before the asphalt trail, after the skinny bridge. This one is easy to avoid as you can just cut right to get on the asphalt. I reported both trees at the kiosk on my way out so they may be clearing them soon.

The rest of the trail made for fun riding though.
Negaunee

Postby mrbikester » November 24th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Has anyone ridden here lately? How are conditions?
mrbikester

Postby bmiller » November 24th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Fat bike loop was good today. Main trail is a bit greasy.
bmiller

Postby Trance » November 25th, 2017, 7:52 am

Me and my crew was about to ride Addison, we saw a muddy rider returning, decided to audible to Stoney Creek. Glad we did, Stoney was high n dry and good to go.
Trance

Postby mrbikester » December 2nd, 2017, 10:41 pm

Has anyone ridden Addison lately. Thinking of going there Monday or Tuesday.
mrbikester

Postby Negaunee » December 4th, 2017, 11:50 am

Rode this morning (Monday). Trail was a little more moist than I expected. Have to take the turns a little more slowly, they are slick. There were a few spots that were pretty soft, but most of it wasn't bad. Not making huge ruts, not even in the softer areas. Only a little mud splatter by time I finished. It's good for a nice casual ride through the woods but don't expect much speed. i have been rather sick the past couple weeks and haven't ridden, so did one lap pretty casually and it was nice. If you're trying to ride it hard and fast it would probably be a little difficult. After the rain tonight it will be worse I will imagine.
Negaunee

Postby utabintarbo » December 5th, 2017, 11:23 am

FWIW, because of the clay content of the trail tread, Addison does not respond well to freeze/thaw situations. Sandier trails (like Bald Mtn and Stony) tend to handle such conditions better, as the frozen water drains through the looser-packed substrate on melting, rather than staying trapped on top of more tightly-packed frozen clay.

Looking at the forecast, it is likely that freeze/thaw will stay with us until Tuesday of next week, then the trail should freeze into "brown concrete" for a bit. :icon_thumleft:
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby elangley » January 2nd, 2018, 3:59 pm

How's the fat bike trail been looking? I'm hoping they have been ontop of the grooming with the race this weekend. Anyone ridding it lately?
elangley

Postby moregg » January 3rd, 2018, 8:30 am

I don't think it is groomed anymore I was out there last week and it was not and it does not show up as a Groomed trail on the trail guide.
moregg

Postby SteamDriven » January 3rd, 2018, 9:22 am

As of this Saturday it was groomed (winter fatbike route only) and firm and fun on Monday.
The single track was deep and only foot traffic.
Obviously, the fatbike route is all two track and not technical but still a nice workout.
The guy with the black bike (they all are) and weird accent... Usually found at the back!
SteamDriven

Postby WICCMB » January 3rd, 2018, 12:51 pm

SteamDriven wrote:As of this Saturday it was groomed (winter fatbike route only) and firm and fun on Monday.
The single track was deep and only foot traffic.
Obviously, the fatbike route is all two track and not technical but still a nice workout.

It's likely groomed for the fat bike race out there this Saturday.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby chris_werth » January 4th, 2018, 7:10 am

The fat bike loop at Addison was getting better and better each lap. The only problem was by the building that has the restrooms at the parking lot. The trail going north south along the parking lot had a lot of snow drift over the trail that made it un-rideable. Other then that, the trail was getting fast and needs more bikers on it.
To "come back" would mean I've been somewhere.....not sure if I qualify. W.S 2013
chris_werth

Postby flamingo » February 28th, 2018, 10:42 pm

Ventured in about 100ft from the Lake George entrance yesterday just to see. The trail still looked wet and swampy. I would avoid for at least a week.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby flamingo » April 3rd, 2018, 10:42 am

Again on my gravel ride I rode in yesterday from the Lake George entrance. I went past the wooden bridge up the first climb. Looks like the exposed soil/clay areas are still soft. Do everybody a favor and avoid for another week. Weather is going to be crap anyways.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions