CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby Trance » August 3rd, 2019, 12:16 pm

Rode 2 laps this morning, Saturday 8/3. It was a mix of perfect weather and near perfect trail conditions. It was beyond dry and into dusty/sandy in spots, but nothing to worry about. Thanks to the trail crew, I like the new gravel work and its not overgrown. Get out there and rip!!
Trance
 
Posts: 66
Joined: July 21st, 2009, 10:14 am

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby Anger » September 16th, 2019, 11:40 am

thinking about buying property around addy oaks. IS there a secret entrance that bikes can use, other than the main gate or the bike path/main gate combo from the cranbury lake to the south? specifically off lake george rd, if possible or on the north side, or north-east side.

I ride there multiple times a week, but never really go looking for other possibility, just ride !
Anger
 
Posts: 11
Joined: July 4th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby c0nsumer » September 16th, 2019, 11:54 am

There's a pedestrian entrance off of Lake George at Indian Lake. But there are no other hole-in-the-fence type entrances.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7747
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby mrbikester » October 21st, 2019, 10:14 am

Trail was so very perfect on Sunday afternoon. I can see lots of maintenance has been done through the year but have not seen Pauly once. Is he still at it?
mrbikester
 
Posts: 200
Joined: April 10th, 2006, 9:28 pm
Location: Royal Oak

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby flamingo » March 16th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Does anybody know what the heck happened at Addison over this winter (besides idiots riding skinnies in mud of course)? The area just after the pavement has been cleared of trees and bushes it is all barren area out there now.
Let's make 26ers great again!
User avatar
flamingo
 
Posts: 651
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 8:51 am
Location: Oxford, MI

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby PK » March 27th, 2020, 2:19 pm

Tacky fast today.
That's the good and bad news.
Good, because fast is fun, bad because all the ruts are now set-in and firm.
Today's conditions didn't allow for much in the way for rolling the ruts flat.
No mud on my bike after a lap there.
Enjoy.
Pete.
PK
 
Posts: 1043
Joined: June 10th, 2004, 12:48 pm

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby mrbikester » May 7th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Rode trail for first time this year and it was in perfect shape.
Like others I am confused as to what the heck happened to all the trees in that one section after the paved path part. Looks like someone used a GIANT weed whacker and left all the residue. When I heard about it I thought it was probably an invasive species removal program but this was something far different.
Anyone know what the purpose was?
mrbikester
 
Posts: 200
Joined: April 10th, 2006, 9:28 pm
Location: Royal Oak

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby JohnnyC » June 11th, 2020, 1:39 pm

mrbikester wrote:Rode trail for first time this year and it was in perfect shape.
Like others I am confused as to what the heck happened to all the trees in that one section after the paved path part. Looks like someone used a GIANT weed whacker and left all the residue. When I heard about it I thought it was probably an invasive species removal program but this was something far different.
Anyone know what the purpose was?



You're probably right about the invasives. I hike/walk/bike just about everyday out there and was surprised as well. They use an attachment on the front of a skid steer and just roll over the top or brush. Larger stuff gets cut and chipped.
JohnnyC
 
Posts: 222
Joined: March 12th, 2007, 8:55 pm

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby JohnnyC » June 11th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Larger trees have fallen over the trail lately and some nice folks have placed smaller trees and branches on either side of the large tree and it makes for a fun feature. A nice little step up and climb over. I wish they wouldn't remove these or just route around them if people want to avoid them. Going over stuff is why I mountain bike. Seems like trails are getting flatter and straighter. too bad. Mother nature blows the tree down so we can have fun but chainsaws come in a clear stuff out. booo
JohnnyC
 
Posts: 222
Joined: March 12th, 2007, 8:55 pm

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby c0nsumer » June 11th, 2020, 1:44 pm

JohnnyC wrote:Larger trees have fallen over the trail lately and some nice folks have placed smaller trees and branches on either side of the large tree and it makes for a fun feature. A nice little step up and climb over. I wish they wouldn't remove these or just route around them if people want to avoid them. Going over stuff is why I mountain bike. Seems like trails are getting flatter and straighter. too bad. Mother nature blows the tree down so we can have fun but chainsaws come in a clear stuff out. booo


If you want to ride over downed trees, why do you bother with trails?
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7747
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby JohnnyC » June 11th, 2020, 1:49 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:Larger trees have fallen over the trail lately and some nice folks have placed smaller trees and branches on either side of the large tree and it makes for a fun feature. A nice little step up and climb over. I wish they wouldn't remove these or just route around them if people want to avoid them. Going over stuff is why I mountain bike. Seems like trails are getting flatter and straighter. too bad. Mother nature blows the tree down so we can have fun but chainsaws come in a clear stuff out. booo


If you want to ride over downed trees, why do you bother with trails?



you saying you don't like to ride features or you like nice flat hard pack so you can break speed records.
JohnnyC
 
Posts: 222
Joined: March 12th, 2007, 8:55 pm

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby c0nsumer » June 11th, 2020, 1:52 pm

JohnnyC wrote:you saying you don't like to ride features or you like nice flat hard pack so you can break speed records.


I love well made technical features. I dislike contrived log piles that are built out of deadfall.

Features should be intentionally built and placed in good locations. Just accepting where trees happen to fall and piling logs around them generally does not make for a well built feature and they almost always end up feeling like more of a speed bump. Especially at a place like Addison.

If I want to ride over trees wherever they happen to fall, I ride deer trails or remote/unmarked/unofficial trails. But that's a very rare thing.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7747
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby JohnnyC » June 11th, 2020, 1:57 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:you saying you don't like to ride features or you like nice flat hard pack so you can break speed records.


I love well made technical features. I dislike contrived log piles that are built out of deadfall.

Features should be intentionally built and placed in good locations. Just accepting where trees happen to fall and piling logs around them generally does not make for a well built feature and they almost always end up feeling like more of a speed bump. Especially at a place like Addison.

If I want to ride over trees wherever they happen to fall, I ride deer trails or remote/unmarked/unofficial trails. But that's a very rare thing.



I agree, I guess the point I was making is that there's too many trails that are light on technical features.
JohnnyC
 
Posts: 222
Joined: March 12th, 2007, 8:55 pm

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby c0nsumer » June 11th, 2020, 2:05 pm

JohnnyC wrote:I agree, I guess the point I was making is that there's too many trails that are light on technical features.


That I completely agree with. Which is part of the reason why CRAMBA put together the Technical Features Program: http://www.cramba.org/2020/04/14/announ ... s-program/
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7747
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby JohnnyC » June 11th, 2020, 2:13 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:I agree, I guess the point I was making is that there's too many trails that are light on technical features.


That I completely agree with. Which is part of the reason why CRAMBA put together the Technical Features Program: http://www.cramba.org/2020/04/14/announ ... s-program/



Cool, I'll look it over. I write letters to "risk managers" and park planners etc and only get the universal reply of "increased liability" "possible injury" if a reply at all.

I'll try to ride sooner after wind storms so I can get my log fix before the saws come through!!!
JohnnyC
 
Posts: 222
Joined: March 12th, 2007, 8:55 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests