CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby c0nsumer » November 12th, 2019, 1:18 pm

[ Official CRAMBA Post ]

NOTICE: Per the Michigan DNR, Bald Mountain North Unit trails are open to bicycles riding in ANY direction.

During a recent meeting the DNR asked us to share this message about the trails being non-directional, and we're asking you all to do the same.

For years many of us have ridden solely in a clockwise direction, but during a recent meeting with the DNR, CRAMBA was informed that North Unit is a non-directional trail. Meaning, you can ride it in any direction you choose. Just like the non-directional trails at Bald Mountain South, enjoy going any way you choose at North, but use caution and observe the normal courtesies of riding two-way trails:

- Yield to those on foot (runners, hikers, skiers, etc).
- Yield to uphill riders.
- When passing, slow down, say hello, and pass safely.
- If passing while in a group, let others know how many more are behind you. (Eg: "Two more back..." or "Last one!" or "Just me.")

If you haven't ridden non-directional trails, don't worry! This is how most of the world's mountain bike trails are designed. With it's wide trails, sweeping turns, beginner-friendly design, and good sight lines the Bald Mountain trails are perfect for non-directional use.

Enjoy this new riding opportunity here in Southeast Michigan, and we'll see you on the trails!
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby carsonreinke » May 2nd, 2020, 10:42 am

Anybody know where can I find info about the trail work being done off of Clarkston Road?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
carsonreinke

Postby J_Westy » December 1st, 2020, 9:02 am

I rode the trails on Sunday, 29.Nov, and saw two separate knuckleheads without helmets on eBikes...

eBikes are forbidden - right?

I don't want to get punched out by a proud eBiker, but what's a good way to give them a hint?
J_Westy

Postby c0nsumer » December 1st, 2020, 11:00 am

J_Westy wrote:I rode the trails on Sunday, 29.Nov, and saw two separate knuckleheads without helmets on eBikes...

I don't want to get punched out by a proud eBiker, but what's a good way to give them a hint?

eBikes are not allowed on any mountain bike trails on State land.

I, personally, would use something like "So you know, motorized vehicles like eBikes are not allowed on these or any trails on state land.".
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby J_Westy » December 2nd, 2020, 9:12 am

c0nsumer wrote:
J_Westy wrote:I rode the trails on Sunday, 29.Nov, and saw two separate knuckleheads without helmets on eBikes...

eBikes are not allowed on any mountain bike trails on State land.

I, personally, would use something like "So you know, motorized vehicles like eBikes are not allowed on these or any trails on state land.".

Yeah, something with low confrontation... problem is they are too fast, but I usually can hear the whine of the motor coming up behind me ;-)

Am I reading correctly that Class-1's are allowed in the metro parks though?
J_Westy

Postby c0nsumer » December 2nd, 2020, 9:40 am

J_Westy wrote:Yeah, something with low confrontation... problem is they are too fast, but I usually can hear the whine of the motor coming up behind me ;-)

Am I reading correctly that Class-1's are allowed in the metro parks though?

Class 1 is allowed on the MTB trails at Stony Creek, yes. Class 2, or unclassed (like the cheap dirt bike ones) are not.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions