CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » February 22nd, 2018, 8:43 am

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give a quick heads up. Due to the high amount of rain we received in the last few days, coupled with the melting snow has caused some damage and erosion to the white trail in the north unit, specifically near the cabins where there is a drainage pipe under the trail. The water levels almost completely pushed the pipe out from the trail and has caused quite a channel around and under the pipe. Yesterday (2/21) staff was able to wedge the pipe back in place, but due to the amount of water moving through that area we will not be able to fix it completely until the water subsides. We have placed some cones as a warning, but please be aware of this hazard if you are out on the trails in the near future.

Thanks,
Paul Majchrowski
Lead Ranger A
Bald Mountain Recreation Area
1330 East Greenshield Road
Lake Orion, MI 48360
248-693-6767
DNR_Bald Mountain

Postby bmiller » February 22nd, 2018, 9:47 am

Thanks Paul!
bmiller

Postby Uncle Rolls » March 5th, 2018, 2:15 pm

This time of year all trails are at risk of major damage from over anxious riders wanting to get out.

If there is residual snow and or overnight freezing conditions, the rule of thumb should be to "Stay Off" and ride pavement, (Sidewalks, Road, Subs, Commercial areas) or backroads to get your early season miles in until the trial have fully thawed and firmed up. These areas also provide a different form of riding for the off-season.

By doing this you avoid this risk to the trails that we love to ride, but also to yourself and your bike.
Uncle Rolls

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » March 8th, 2018, 9:04 am

Quick update,

Due to the recent snow the south unit has been reopened to snowmobile use. After the next day or so it should be nice and packed in for fat bikes. We are planning on grooming the north unit for cross country skiing tomorrow 3-9-18, so until you see tracks set, feel free to ride up there as well. I am hoping to make it out onto the south unit trails on our snowmobile later today and will give another update if I am able to make it out.

Side note, the weather has prevented us from fixing the pipe issue near the cabins on the white loop, so please remember to take it easy in that area due to the hazard. Last we checked the cones are still in place marking the issue.

Thanks,
Paul Majchrowski
Lead Ranger A
1330 East Greenshield Road
Lake Orion Mi, 48360
248-693-6767
DNR_Bald Mountain

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » March 8th, 2018, 11:35 am

South unit trails are clear. There are a few mud/puddle areas that have not froze yet, but nothing horrible. I rode the trail once on our sled and it seemed to pack down fairly nicely, more sleds and colder temps should have it good to go for the weekend.

Paul
DNR_Bald Mountain

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » May 8th, 2018, 8:20 am

Hi all,

Quick update for you. After last weeks windstorm we have had an abundance of downed trees to deal with. That, coupled with the overly wet conditions on the trails, I have been hesitant to send our gators out for fear of damaging the trails further. That being said, we did go out and clear the South Unit of downed trees yesterday 5/7, though my Ranger noted some drainage problems we haven't seen before. I will be researching that further today. The north unit has not been cleared of trees as of yet (hopefully today), but I was able to track down and address the most serious trail flooding on the orange loop before the lake George entrance coming from marker 11. Our crafty beavers have constructed a multi-tier dam near the inlet to West Graham lake coming from Bellis lake. I tore the dams out on 5/7 and the water was flowing at a very high rate. Hopefully the trail flooding is gone at this point and the area can begin to dry out. We will continue to monitor the area and rip the dams out as needed-though it is a big undertaking (took me 5+hrs yesterday) We will also look at building that section of trail up after it dries out to hopefully help the trail stay dry.

Thanks,
Paul Majchrowski
Lead Ranger A
248-693-6767
DNR_Bald Mountain

Postby SteamDriven » May 8th, 2018, 8:43 am

Hello Paul,

Please forgive if this information is not accurate but my understanding is beavers are triggered by running water. The faster it flows, the faster they work. There is a good chance they have carried out emergency repairs already?!
For plodding animals, they are obviously not paid by the hour.
The guy with the black bike (they all are) and weird accent... Usually found at the back!
SteamDriven

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » May 8th, 2018, 10:57 am

That is correct, they are triggered by the running water. However, due to how much water was moving when I left, as well as the multi-tier system of dams they had working, there is little to no chance of them repairing enough to flood out the area that was/is currently flooded. I have no doubt they went right to work on rebuilding as soon as I left, however they would have to build the lower dam back first to raise the water enough to begin working on the upper dam. The lower dam was approximately 4-6 foot lower in elevation than the upper dam which should give an idea of how much water was/is being held in that area. When I left there was 4 foot of water rushing out of the upper dam over an approximate 50 ft width. Our hope is enough water drains to unflood the trail by the time they get rebuilt.
DNR_Bald Mountain

Postby Steve_Kinley » May 8th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Thanks Paul and your staff for all the work being done on the trails.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby SteamDriven » May 8th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Impressive.

Thank you.
The guy with the black bike (they all are) and weird accent... Usually found at the back!
SteamDriven

Postby wrob » May 8th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Paul: i know the spot, it's been many years since i fished there....question?..... could
volunteers with a boat ( i don't have one) and tools access that beaver dam? Would
it be easier than coming in off the trail?just wondering, anyone up for that?
wrob

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » May 13th, 2018, 8:04 am

Unfortunately no, its not accessible by boat (I wish it was, would make things a lot easier). I am going to go out and check the flooding today, hopefully it has at least gotten off the trail (fingers crossed.)
DNR_Bald Mountain

Postby Cerget » May 29th, 2018, 5:53 am

I was wondering if there was any update on the trail conditions?
Cerget

Postby Cerget » June 1st, 2018, 6:14 pm

DNR, you have done a great job out there. Still a little greasy, but good to go. Thanks for your hard work, much appreciated!
Cerget

Postby Cerget » June 8th, 2018, 8:10 am

DNR, thanks for cutting the grass in BMN. The trail is in very good condition.
Cerget

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions