CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby bmiller » June 17th, 2018, 12:24 pm

DNR- there is a big tree down just before(.2 miles) Lake George. Thanks!
bmiller

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » June 17th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Thanks for the update! I was made aware of this tree late yesterday, planning on sending a crew out Monday afternoon as today is just too hot.
DNR_Bald Mountain

Postby bmiller » June 17th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Awesome. Thanks! By the way the trail is in great shape! Thanks fort all of the hard work!
bmiller

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » June 19th, 2018, 7:10 am

Tree was cleared last evening, so the trail should be good to go. I will let my staff know their hard work is going noticed and appreciated, thanks!

Paul
DNR_Bald Mountain

Postby bmiller » June 19th, 2018, 7:11 am

Thanks for the update Paul!!
bmiller

Postby Waynosan » June 27th, 2018, 1:49 pm

My friend and I rode here yesterday afternoon. There's a fallen tree across the trail on the white loop in the 5 o'clock position, just south of the parking lot. There were a few moist spots but nothing that required active avoidance. Situation may have changed since then since it rained late last evening. I hate when people smoke cigs on the trail and stink it up.
Waynosan

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » June 30th, 2018, 8:21 am

Tree was cleared yesterday afternoon :)
DNR_Bald Mountain

Postby 7ducati » July 6th, 2018, 9:05 am

Monster tree down at South (I left a message yesterday) between 3 and 4. The diameter was about the size of my wheel, so a big ole chainsaw is needed.
7ducati

Postby bmiller » July 19th, 2018, 8:58 am

Tree down just before the lake access road off predmore. See pic. Thanks!Image
bmiller

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » July 23rd, 2018, 6:42 am

Tree was cleared on Friday 7/20 :)
DNR_Bald Mountain

Postby bmiller » July 23rd, 2018, 8:47 am

DNR_Bald Mountain wrote:Tree was cleared on Friday 7/20 :)

Thanks!!
bmiller

Postby pat b » May 21st, 2019, 4:15 pm

BALD MOUNTAIN SOUTH, LARGE TREE DOWN BETWEEN MARKERS 10 AND 11. NUMEROUS BRANCHS./Users/Pat/Desktop/IMG_0155.jpeg
pat b

Postby Trance » August 12th, 2019, 9:28 am

Rode the North Unit (Orange, White, Blue) yesterday. I see a lot of gravel work in the muddy zones, nice work. This was my first ride at BM this year and it was fun. Most of the trail was dry and NOT overgrown, which was great! The only part really needing help is the mud hole on the Blue trail. Not sure if there are plans to dump gravel there too, or if there is some other solution to that, like laying branches across to make a bridge or sorts.

I love parking along Lake George Rd and riding both Bald and Addison ... makes for a very nice ~15 mile ride.
Last edited by Trance on August 12th, 2019, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trance

Postby c0nsumer » August 12th, 2019, 9:30 am

Trance wrote:Rode the North Unit (Orange, White, Blue) yesterday. I see a lot of gravel work in the muddy zones, nice work. This was my first ride at BM this year and it was fun. Most of the trail was dry and NOT overgrown, which was great! The only part really needing help is the mud hole on the Blue trail. Not sure if there are plans to dump gravel there too, or if there is some other solution to that, like laying branches across to make a bridge or sorts.

The DNR has been doing a ton of work on the trail and it's looking excellent.

On that spot, gravel will just sink. Branches (technically known as a corduroy bridge) are not a good idea for a number of reasons, in particular that they retard drainage and become a hazard if not done REALLY well. I know the DNR is well aware of the issue there and has been working on it.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Trance » August 12th, 2019, 9:34 am

c0nsumer wrote:
Trance wrote:Rode the North Unit (Orange, White, Blue) yesterday. I see a lot of gravel work in the muddy zones, nice work. This was my first ride at BM this year and it was fun. Most of the trail was dry and NOT overgrown, which was great! The only part really needing help is the mud hole on the Blue trail. Not sure if there are plans to dump gravel there too, or if there is some other solution to that, like laying branches across to make a bridge or sorts.

The DNR has been doing a ton of work on the trail and it's looking excellent.

On that spot, gravel will just sink. Branches (technically known as a corduroy bridge) are not a good idea for a number of reasons, in particular that they retard drainage and become a hazard if not done REALLY well. I know the DNR is well aware of the issue there and has been working on it.

Ahh, never knew those were called 'corduroy bridges', but that fits. Maybe an actual bridge is the best answer here ... I know drainage must be considered. Thanks for the info!
Trance

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions