CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby chris_werth » April 13th, 2004, 6:59 am

It can be done with a bow saw but you'll be tired when your done :P
chris_werth

Postby tcbaldmtn » April 14th, 2004, 8:23 am

I cleared the tree this morning with a bow saw. Guess I'm going to have to beg the wife for a chainsaw. It took me about 45 minutes to cut out a section. Be careful the tree is at the edge of the trail on the left side going in.

I'll talk to management about the bridge that's missing. I know that they have had alot of problems with beavers the past couple of years. They've been causing problems around culverts.

For future reference anything over 8" is chainsaw material. Please keep me updated of any problems on the trail.
The trail is only as good, as the work you put into it!
tcbaldmtn

Postby chris_werth » April 14th, 2004, 9:25 am

Thank you :D
chris_werth

Postby tcbaldmtn » April 26th, 2004, 3:34 pm

There's going to be a trail work day May 22, 2004. Meet at the Harmon Rd. parking lot at 9am. We'll be working on a muddy spot past marker #11.

If you have a shovel or mattock feel free to bring one. I will try to have most of the wood cut and available to use on the work day.
tcbaldmtn

Postby tcbaldmtn » May 7th, 2004, 5:12 am

No rain last night at Bald Mtn. Trail should be in great shape for riding.
tcbaldmtn

Postby TheShadow » May 7th, 2004, 9:21 am

I rode Bald Mt. North last night and there is a very low tree (about 3 in in diameter) that is across the trail about 1/4 mile before the #4 marker. Almost took my head off :shock:
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men... The Shadow knows!
TheShadow

Postby tcbaldmtn » May 8th, 2004, 8:14 am

Thanks for the info. and description of the location. Took care of it this morning.

Everyone out there please keep me informed on problems and I will try to solve the problem ASAP.

Don't forget the trail day on May 22 at 9am.
tcbaldmtn

Postby TheShadow » May 8th, 2004, 8:29 pm

Thanks!! As usual great work!
TheShadow

North Trail

Postby MKnezek » May 18th, 2004, 12:39 pm

Went out Sunday and it was quite the mudbath in several spots. I don't just mean a little puddle, I mean a wide & deep pool...so much so one of us got stopped dead in her tracks, and fell smack dab in the middle of the mud puddle! :oops: hehe
MKnezek

Re: North Trail

Postby TheShadow » May 18th, 2004, 1:10 pm

MKnezek wrote:Went out Sunday and it was quite the mudbath in several spots. I don't just mean a little puddle, I mean a wide & deep pool...so much so one of us got stopped dead in her tracks, and fell smack dab in the middle of the mud puddle! :oops: hehe

I take it you rode the South unit?!
TheShadow

Postby MKnezek » May 19th, 2004, 5:20 pm

Actually it was the North trail off of Predmore. Don't get me wrong, we had a blast, but boy was it mud-dy. :D
MKnezek

Postby TheShadow » May 26th, 2004, 8:04 am

Anyone know the condition of the North trail? Was thinking of riding it but not if it is still too muddy.
TheShadow

Postby soupy » May 29th, 2004, 9:57 pm

I too would like to go riding at Bald Mountain tomorrow. Anyone know if any of the water has drained. I am assuming the lack of posts are b/c people are staying away.
soupy

Bald Mt.

Postby DaBbLe » May 31st, 2004, 9:08 am

Rode just a small segment on the way home from Addison Oaks Sunday afternoon. Entered off Predmore rd. and rode the section along the South side of Graham Lake. It's extremely muddy with some sections of standing water. Just past the boat launch access road and before the trailhead bypass trail that goes over to the cabin access road there's a small tree down that will need a chainsaw as well as a smaller tree at chest level that can taken out with a small handsaw. On the bypass there is a fairly large standing water puddle but it is easily ridable and only about 4" deep. It'll do a good job of cleaning off the mud from the earlier sections. I bailed out on Harmon road so I can't give any more information, but from past experience on this trail there are still several very muddy sections to get through. I would recomend dirt roads for a few more days.
"Never waste a Downhill"
DaBbLe

Postby bikesatori » June 1st, 2004, 9:42 pm

I was just down in that area a couple of weeks ago and rode both the south and north units. At the time they had some very muddy sections, while everything else was dry. I heard about a man in his late twenties who had a heart attack or something, and I think this was at Baldmt, or on Paint Creek. I'm not sure. Another rider found him the next morning. Thats really unfortunate. It really makes you think about the things that can happen when riding solo. :( Just wondering if any of you heard about it.
bikesatori

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions