CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Steve_Kinley » June 2nd, 2004, 6:49 am

See the related thread here http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=8833
Steve_Kinley

Postby tcbaldmtn » June 2nd, 2004, 8:53 am

I'll be out of town the next week or so. I'm headed down to West Virginia for the NORBA race. I'll be working the race not racing. If there is a major issue with the trail call Bald Mtn. and let them know about it or post on this forum and I'll try to get to it when I get back.
The trail is only as good, as the work you put into it!
tcbaldmtn

North unit rideable today - some torn up muddy spots.

Postby foulkrj » June 20th, 2004, 12:12 pm

Avoid south leg of Orange loop from Lake George road entrance to Graham Lake entrance. It's wet, torn up and hard on the bike. Ride Lake George and Predmore to get around it. I also found, for the first time, the entrance from Conklin road which was high and dry and took me to the middle of the Blue Loop. from there to the White loop to Harmon Rd. was good except for three small mud holes.
foulkrj

Postby Todd Scott » July 3rd, 2004, 7:30 pm

We hiked then rode the North Unit. It was in fine, fine shape. Portions of the trail needed trimming. (I know, I know. I forgot my cutters today.)
Todd Scott

Postby froggyrider » July 11th, 2004, 10:54 pm

The North Unit was in great shape today. It is still very close and muggy, so don't plan on stopping to catch your breath unless you are running DEET in your veins.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby froggyrider » July 24th, 2004, 5:29 pm

The North unit is still in great shape. All the rain has not resulted in the major washouts of sand we've seen on other trails. It was 90% dry. Most of the sand is rideable; there was one gnarly uphill that was a sand pit, but all other ups and downs had good traction and lines- no roots or rolling rocks from erosion grabbing you to pull you down.

There is a tree down about 3/4 the way through. Hard to describe where, but you can fully see it in time so you can stop. It will need a saw to remove.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby tcbaldmtn » July 26th, 2004, 7:12 pm

Rode out there today and found the trail clear. Looked like the DNR drove the trail today and took care of the problem. There's still alot of trimming to do. My wife said see wants to walk the trail and help, probably tommorow afternoon about 5pm.
tcbaldmtn

Postby tcbaldmtn » July 31st, 2004, 5:21 am

Trimmed the west loop of the North Unit Thursday night. I plan on getting to the east loop early next week. Be careful there a some wash outs by two drainage piped on the west loop. I'm going to talk with the park manager about the condition on Monday.
tcbaldmtn

Postby tcbaldmtn » August 3rd, 2004, 11:04 am

Finished trimming the east loop of the North Unit this morning. The trail is in pretty good shape after last nights rain. There are a few mud/water holes on the trail.
tcbaldmtn

Postby tcbaldmtn » August 9th, 2004, 3:18 pm

For those who ride from Lake Orion, I finished the Conklin Rd. entrance. It's been weed whipped and trimmed. To the person who trimmed the bushes along the entrance trail, thank you very much. You know how much time you saved me.

Rode yesterday the trail is in good shape except for a couple of never ending wet spots. I'm going to try to get to them next week. I leaving on vacation Wed.
tcbaldmtn

Postby TheShadow » August 26th, 2004, 1:37 pm

Just rode the North unit last night and there is a very large tree down about a 1/4 mile before you get the the entrance/exit on Lake George Road. It looked like a pretty dead tree but it was very large and will need some chain saw work for sure. Not too dangerous (you see it coming) but have to get off and climb over it to get by.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men... The Shadow knows!
TheShadow

Postby tcbaldmtn » August 28th, 2004, 4:17 am

I'll call Bob on Monday and let him know about the tree. I had my shoulder rebuilt on Friday and will be unable to take care of it myself.
Looks like I'll be out of comission for about 3 mths.
tcbaldmtn

West loop (north unit)...not that bad

Postby Tony_Misovski » August 30th, 2004, 6:43 am

I ran the west loop of the north unit on sunday (8/29) and it was relatively dry considering we got all that rain. There was only a couple of mud puddles and a couple of spots where the ground was a little soft.
Tony_Misovski

Postby Justin 4.0 » September 15th, 2004, 7:54 am

I was out in the North Unit yesterday and there is another tree down in the section leading up to the road crossing. It's at the bottom of a large hill where it makes a fairly sharp left at a swamp. Almost didn't have time to stop for it as it's such a sandy corner. Another rider and I tried to mover it some but it was just too big for only 2 guys. Kind of a nasty spot where it's at because you don't see it until you're right on top of it.
Justin 4.0

Postby tcbaldmtn » September 17th, 2004, 6:51 am

I'll let the manager know about the tree on Monday. They're closed today. I'd get out there myself but I had my shoulder rebuilt last month and will be out of comission for another 12 weeks.

Are there any other trees down on the trail?
tcbaldmtn

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions