CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby tcbaldmtn » October 26th, 2004, 6:20 am

The Shadow rode Bald Mtn. North Unit recently and said no downed trees or major problems. I had someone tell me that they would donate a truck load of rock for the trail. I'm going to have it dumped this fall and hope to get it moved in the spring.

Expect more trail work days next year. I have approval for some minor trail bypasses for some of the wet areas. I did my trailbuilding 101 and 102 at Island Lake recently and hope to do trailbuilding 201 in the spring.
Take a look at the chapter meeting minutes for a more detailed report on Bald Mtn.

If you have any questions you can always PM me.
The trail is only as good, as the work you put into it!
tcbaldmtn

Postby Steve_Kinley » October 26th, 2004, 7:04 pm

I have approval for some minor trail bypasses for some of the wet areas.

Hey George, how about the start on the west side off Harmon? That hill with all the roots exposed is getting worse. Can you check if the park has wood to use on the boards that are just before the bridge along Harmon? The slots are running parallel with the trail and are just wide enough to allow a tire to slip between them and send you over the bars. All that is needed is a bunch of 1x4 or 1x6's laid perpendicular on top and screwed down.
Steve_Kinley

Postby tcbaldmtn » October 29th, 2004, 5:17 am

I've talked with park management early this year about that bridge. I voiced that very concern. My son rides a 24" wheel mtn. bike and has become stuck between those boards. The management stated to me that they run the boards parallel to the trail for grooming purposes during the ski season.

I'll check to see if I can get some wood to replace the boards that are there. Unfortunately I still am unable to do the repair myself due to my shoulder injury. If this is something that you might be able to help me with please let me know. I'm not going to ask for the wood if I can't get it repaired.

As for the roots, there is a small by pass to the right of the tree that's fairly easy. My 12 y/o son can still ride to the left of the tree. This one of the few technical parts of the trail and I'd like to keep it. It's uphill downhill speed isn't a danger.
tcbaldmtn

Postby Steve_Kinley » October 29th, 2004, 6:59 am

If the boards have to remain parallel they just need to be laid closer together. It would take one or two more boards if they are all moved tighter. I don't have a battery screw driver but if we can get the boards and material let me know.

I see the line to the right of the roots at the start but the issue is the mass of roots that are becoming more exposed every year. My concern is what it will do to the trees as they continue to become exposed since they are on a hill.
Steve_Kinley

Postby inasnit » October 29th, 2004, 7:36 am

Depending on scheduling, I'd like to help with this as well. I'm just a girl, but I can move boards with the best of 'em :wink:
~marty
Team Trails-Edge
http://www.trails-edge.com
inasnit

Postby Phresh » October 29th, 2004, 8:23 am

tcbaldmtn wrote: My son rides a 24" wheel mtn. bike and has become stuck between those boards. The management stated to me that they run the boards parallel to the trail for grooming purposes during the ski season.

That bridge is dangerous. I recently got my front wheel stuck and endo'd while braking hard to avoid someone who had just biffed right in front of me due to the same crack. Definitely needs some attention before someone gets really hurt.

I don't buy the part about the need for a north/south direction of the slats for ski grooming. Snow would cover whatever was there as long as the spaces between the boards was not too big. My $.02
Phresh

Postby Steve_Kinley » October 29th, 2004, 9:35 am

Just for clarification, it is the boards before the bridge, not the bridge itself.
Steve_Kinley

Postby Double_D » October 29th, 2004, 9:49 am

Phresh wrote:
tcbaldmtn wrote: My son rides a 24" wheel mtn. bike and has become stuck between those boards. The management stated to me that they run the boards parallel to the trail for grooming purposes during the ski season.

That bridge is dangerous. I recently got my front wheel stuck and endo'd while braking hard to avoid someone who had just biffed right in front of me due to the same crack. Definitely needs some attention before someone gets really hurt.

I don't buy the part about the need for a north/south direction of the slats for ski grooming. Snow would cover whatever was there as long as the spaces between the boards was not too big. My $.02

If they use the same grooming equipment that is used for grooming snowmobile trails, then running the boards perpendicular to the trail does become an issue. Snowmobiling trail groomers typically have steel tines that dig into the snow and ice to break up any bumps that have formed. Boards laid perpendicular to the would provide more edges for those tines to snag onto.

My 2 cents!
AKA Dangerous Dan
Double_D

Postby DaBbLe » October 29th, 2004, 9:52 am

I'll give you a hand with this as well. I do have a battery powered s c r e wdriver. If the existing boards aren't too bad, maybe we can just pull them up and reset them. I also have a bunch of 3" galvanized deck s c rews I'd be willing to donate.
"Never waste a Downhill"
DaBbLe

Postby Phresh » October 29th, 2004, 10:55 am

Double_D wrote:
If they use the same grooming equipment that is used for grooming snowmobile trails, then running the boards perpendicular to the trail does become an issue. Snowmobiling trail groomers typically have steel tines that dig into the snow and ice to break up any bumps that have formed. Boards laid perpendicular to the would provide more edges for those tines to snag onto.

My 2 cents!

So noted. Thanks
Phresh

Postby Phresh » October 29th, 2004, 10:58 am

Steve_Kinley wrote:Just for clarification, it is the boards before the bridge, not the bridge itself.

possibly we are not talking about the same spot (?), but where I went down appeared to be part of a bridge or boardwalk with a sharp right turn just afterwards (going clockwise I guess).
Phresh

Postby Steve_Kinley » October 29th, 2004, 11:13 am

Are you talking the endo on the Sunday ride? That was on a board section in the muck just before the bridge. There are only two bridges and the one along Harmon is the one in question. That section has had gravel dumped in numerous times but doesn't hold up. The other problem with the boards is that you are on it immediately after making a left hand turn from a fast run. It's one of those areas where it's nice to have ridden it before and know it's there, you always ride as far to the left as you can.
Steve_Kinley

Postby Phresh » October 29th, 2004, 12:23 pm

Steve_Kinley wrote:Are you talking the endo on the Sunday ride?

Yup. :oops:
Phresh

Postby tcbaldmtn » October 30th, 2004, 4:33 pm

Thanks for all the offers. I'll contact the park management Monday about the boards that are too far apart. If he doesn't have the wood I'll go ahead and buy what we need. Shouldn't cost too much or take too long.

As for the other muddy area where the boards are exposed. That's the area where I was going to put the stone that I'm getting donated. I'll talk with park management about the stone not lasting. The trail through that section is pretty long and I hate to think we need to bridge that whole area.

Let me know if any of you are available Saturday to work on the open space bridge. I'll go out this week and measure for the material needed.
tcbaldmtn

Postby inasnit » October 30th, 2004, 4:52 pm

tcbaldmtn wrote:Thanks for all the offers. I'll contact the park management Monday about the boards that are too far apart. If he doesn't have the wood I'll go ahead and buy what we need. Shouldn't cost too much or take too long.

As for the other muddy area where the boards are exposed. That's the area where I was going to put the stone that I'm getting donated. I'll talk with park management about the stone not lasting. The trail through that section is pretty long and I hate to think we need to bridge that whole area.

Let me know if any of you are available Saturday to work on the open space bridge. I'll go out this week and measure for the material needed.

Sorry TCbaldmtn, I'd love to help as I said before, but I will be at iceman this weekend!
~marty
Team Trails-Edge
http://www.trails-edge.com
inasnit

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions