CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby TheShadow » October 30th, 2004, 8:15 pm

I could help next Saturday just let me know what time and what tools. I can bring my cordless makita screwdriver or whatever else.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men... The Shadow knows!
TheShadow

Postby tcbaldmtn » November 1st, 2004, 7:27 am

I plan on being there at 9 of 10 in the morning. Let me know which one works best for you. The weather so far looks good. I'm going today to measure and look at the condition of the wood. We may end up replacing the whole thing.

The condition of the wood will determine what we do. We should replace the whole thing if needed. It actually might be easier to do. Go ahead and bring your cordless drill. I'll bring mine and a couple of hand saws. I should be able to cut all the wood at home and bring it ready to put in place. A maddox and shovel will probably be needed and I'll bring those.

Shouldn't take more than an hour or so to finish. Let me know what time is best for you.
The trail is only as good, as the work you put into it!
tcbaldmtn

Postby TheShadow » November 1st, 2004, 10:30 am

9:00 would work for me. I will see you then.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men... The Shadow knows!
TheShadow

Postby chris_werth » November 2nd, 2004, 5:08 pm

Fyi, I rode Bald Mountain north yesterday (11-1-04) and there are at least 4 large trees down across the trail. Most of them are on the East side of Harmon road. Oh, and one dead deer across the trail on the downhill by the Lake George enterance.
chris_werth

Postby tcbaldmtn » November 3rd, 2004, 2:44 pm

I notified the park of the trees this afternoon. They were out on the South Unit today. Management stated they will try to get to it ASAP.

Just to let everyone know, there are only 2 rangers for Bald Mtn. this time of year. Thanks to everyone that lets me know about trail conditions.

I'm not going to be able to get back on my bike until late December.
tcbaldmtn

Postby tcbaldmtn » November 4th, 2004, 12:27 pm

The trail day for Saturday 11-06-04 is cancelled. If you need more info please private message me.

Thanks.
tcbaldmtn

Postby Steve_Kinley » November 21st, 2004, 4:08 pm

Somebody fixed the boards so that there are no longer big spaces between them. I didn't see any notice of the work being rescheduled, did the park do it on their own?
Steve_Kinley

Postby tcbaldmtn » November 23rd, 2004, 7:32 am

They must have I'll check it out and let you know. I didn't want to do it during rifle deer season. No combat pay would have been included.
tcbaldmtn

Bald Mountain South in decent shape (2/11)

Postby Tony_Misovski » February 11th, 2005, 6:48 am

Did Bald Mountain South last night and it is in decent shape. The snowmobiles did a good job of packing things down after the last heavy snowfall.
Tony_Misovski

Postby tcbaldmtn » March 29th, 2005, 7:20 pm

Walked the North Unit with the family today. The trail is either under 3" of ice or 4" deep mud. I was looking for a couple of spots for some trail day type work. Found a couple, I'll have to talk with the management in the next couple of weeks to get approval.

I'll post a day and time in the near furture. Also they came through part of the trail to clear a path for the power lines. They made a mess in a couple of areas and I hope to get that cleaned up this week.
tcbaldmtn

Postby Dan_Harrison » March 29th, 2005, 8:29 pm

With a couple days of rain in the forecast, maybe the ice will melt. Then we'll have 6" of mud :roll:
Where'd I put my waders? :?
As far as your worksites go-- I'm sure they'll be fine. We'll just flag some possible solutions, without cutting anything until they've had a chance to review the work and make a decision.
Dan
Dan_Harrison

Postby TrailJunkie » March 30th, 2005, 2:45 pm

I walked the south unit today out to Spring Creek and back. Pretty muddy and icy in the low spots.
TrailJunkie

Postby tcbaldmtn » March 30th, 2005, 7:52 pm

Thanks for the update on the South Unit. Just to let everyone know that the DNR has pretty much written off the South Unit. They clean it up in the fall for the snowmobiles.

There's a bridge that needs to be replaced and there are no plans for replacement any time soon. That trail was established in 1947. There is very little use except by those who live near by. Most of the traffic is at the North Unit. If there are those that are interested in trimming the overhang let me know and I'll see when we can get together.

I hope to spend more time this year on the North Unit. With some help maybe we can dry up the trail.

George Hamzik
Trail Coordinator
tcbaldmtn

Postby Steve_Kinley » March 30th, 2005, 8:34 pm

Just to let everyone know that the DNR has pretty much written off the South Unit.

What do you mean? They are in there during the summer and clean up downed trees, etc. as well as mowing on occasions. I usually go in there and trim it back periodically. There are a few wet spots remaining but with no good reroutes. We have managed to eliminate most of the really bad sections.

The north unit definitely has a few problem areas that we have discussed before. There is a good reroute potential on the east loop in a really muddy section just before you start the long climb toward Lake George road.
Steve_Kinley

Postby Tony_Misovski » April 4th, 2005, 7:27 am

Did the north part of the west and east loops. The trail was unusually dry except for the few mudpits that hang around until Summer. And the last uphill before Lake George is soft. I didn't check out the south parts of both loops so I don't know if those are rideable or not.
Tony_Misovski

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions