Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby Overdrive » August 18th, 2017, 8:26 pm

jwhitey wrote:This is a pretty cool park. Lots of trails everywhere. The green trail has some cool features and it's quite turny and technical just like the Wayne county riding I've been doing.

Hope you found most of the trail. Combining things gets around 12 miles.
Signage is in the works.

Thanks.
Overdrive

Postby jwhitey » August 19th, 2017, 7:58 am

Signage could be improved a bit but for me it's fun to ride around and discover on my own. I believe I missed some sections after looking at Strava.
jwhitey

Postby reidabel » September 2nd, 2017, 7:28 am

When I started riding there (2009), I also enjoyed being able to ride around and explore. I think for somebody travelling a long ways to get here, though, the signage is going to improve the experience considerably. I kept hearing about, but didn't find, the teeter-totters, for the first couple of months! Don't look for them, they're gone and we're not allowed to build any more of them. If that changes, somebody please let me know.

Christian from Oregon was out there last weekend and, being used to West Coast riding, was looking for the good bits. It's hard to explain locations to somebody who doesn't know the park at all, so I took him over and showed him Hansen's Be-Bop, The Mambo King, Bambi and Godzilla, the skinny log, and Double Eagle. He rode the lower line on Double Eagle, I think he's going to have fun working his way up. It would be cool to have the stunts listed out there somewhere, so that people looking for them would have a better chance to find them. It would be annoying to make a trip over to ride them and miss some of the big ones.

I'll be out there building something new at the start of Dragonball Run in an hour or two - stop and chat if you see me. Anybody, not just Christian.
reidabel

Postby reidabel » September 3rd, 2017, 10:21 pm

It's beautiful out there! Spent most of the day by the river, building a new stunt/feature at the start of Dragonball Run. No mosquitoes at all, fantastic building weather and scenery. A huge number of kayaks and canoes going by today, a lot more people doing that than biking.

I removed that small tree that was lying on top of the first bridge of Nathan Dynamite. Thanks to Mark for the location, I was able to find it quickly.
reidabel

Postby Overdrive » May 16th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Burchfield trails are closed as there are multiple areas under water. Please respect the closure and watch the Mid-Michigan Trail Condition FB page for updates and when it is open again.https://www.facebook.com/groups/midmichtrailconditions/
Overdrive

Postby reidabel » June 10th, 2018, 11:49 am

Posted on Facebook a few minutes ago: This morning I took my chainsaw out and removed the tree down across the Timinator, on the downslope of the ridge, and trimmed the Timinator trail (lots of thorns there). I then walked out and cleared the one down near the start of Bob's Supremacy, just after the bottom of that fun little downhill. As Anne said, it's very soggy out there, not good for biking. The mosquitoes were insane, even with lots of bug spray, goggles, and my chainsaw helmet's face shield, I had to swing a leafy branch back and forth across my shoulders to get back to the car alive!
-------------------------
Not on Facebook: I talked to somebody in a park pickup, pointed out that there is no "Bicycle Trail Closed" sign at McNamara, even though there is one at the Riverbend lot. He said there's one by the pond, so I pointed out that if the sign were at the entrance, people might turn around (yeah, sure), but if they get out of their car, get all set up, then ride 10 seconds and see the "closed" sign, they'll just ignore it. He said he'll mention it to somebody.
reidabel

Postby reidabel » August 18th, 2018, 5:51 pm

Yes, I appear to be talking to myself on here :-)

reidabel wrote: I pointed out that if the sign were at the entrance, people might turn around (yeah, sure), but if they get out of their car, get all set up, then ride 10 seconds and see the "closed" sign, they'll just ignore it. He said he'll mention it to somebody.

It looks like the sign you see on the left when going off of Nichols Road onto the Riverbend lot entry road HAS BEEN MOVED closer to the road ... and out of the branches. Good.

Good conditions at the moment.
reidabel

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions