Western: Bass River

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Mike_D » October 10th, 2004, 9:21 pm

I rode the longest loop on Sunday the 10th and it is still dry back there and ok to ride. What a difference from last spring! I hadn't ridden there all summer because I didn't want to get eaten alive in the swamp back there :D
Mike_D

Postby Guppie » November 15th, 2004, 7:47 pm

Rode the trail on Sunday. Good condition, alot of hunters bating for gun season, but they usually hunt away from the trail so its okay.
Guppie

Conditions

Postby Mikey_V » December 28th, 2004, 3:44 pm

The trail is covered with about three to four inches of snow. I just finished the Bass River about one hour ago. I set the path for the first two sections. I did not even bother with the third section. My bike is covered with snow and in dire need of a severe cleaning. Be careful when riding the trail, it is very slippery. Good riding!
Mikey_V

Postby jon_cross » February 13th, 2005, 11:29 pm

As of today there is too much snow and not enough traffic- a lot of the trail was ice and the rest was really tough to even get the bike moving. My ride turned into a nice hike.
Semper Fidelis

Never Forget.
jon_cross

Does anyone know how the conditions are now?

Postby ex95bravo » March 23rd, 2005, 1:36 pm

I am goin saturday and need to know who has good trail conditions! I am taking out a friend who will be MTB for first time ever!!!
ex95bravo

Re: Does anyone know how the conditions are now?

Postby Mike_D » March 23rd, 2005, 2:21 pm

ex95bravo wrote:I am goin saturday and need to know who has good trail conditions! I am taking out a friend who will be MTB for first time ever!!!

Personally, I have not been out there but I will add that I have 3-4 inches of snow, in the shade I might add, at my house here in GR so I am betting there is at least that much in the woods out there on the trail. Now by chance it does melt before Sat. and if you ride out there, plan an early morning ride so the trail has a chance to freeze overnight and not cause any trail damage since we have not had our spring thaw (or our spring yet for that matter) and the water will not drain properly and the trail will get all rutted from your tires. If this is your friend's 1st time out MTB, do him a favor and wait for better trail conditions or he may get turned off if he has to ride in the snow or muddy conditions.

Thanks in advance for doing your part :D
Mike_D

Postby mtnbikinbryno » March 23rd, 2005, 2:49 pm

Well put, Mike.
mtnbikinbryno

How about the open areas?

Postby laminatedfrog » March 24th, 2005, 7:28 pm

I'm planning on heading out there and riding the two tracks and dirt roads already thrashed by ORVs, Has anyone seen if it's frozen in the open areas or a giant mud pit?
laminatedfrog

Postby mtnbikinbryno » March 24th, 2005, 9:21 pm

It's gotta be a huge mud pit during the afternoon... but if you go in the early morning on one of these next days, it should be hard.
mtnbikinbryno

snow, ice, and mud all at once

Postby laminatedfrog » March 25th, 2005, 7:58 pm

Don't use the Grand Rapids area to guess what it will look like down at the trails. There's still quite a bit of snow on the ground out that way. Even the two tracks are still covered in ice and snow where the trucks haven't turned them into a mudpit.

The two tracks are rideable for a ways, but they got too soupy further in.
Still better than riding with traffic though!
laminatedfrog

Postby SlowPoke » March 26th, 2005, 12:17 pm

We gave it a try this morning at dawn. 8) The idea was to get out when it would be frozen solid and good riding. Well, it was frozen, but it had about 6? of snow over much of the trail. It was as much a walk as a ride.
ImageImage
The two tracks were frozen and we enjoyed the sunrise while bumping along over those ruts.

Give it time. :wink:
SlowPoke

Postby Mike_D » April 3rd, 2005, 10:33 pm

Anyone been out to check the trail recently?
Mike_D

I just checked it out today (monday, April 4)

Postby laminatedfrog » April 4th, 2005, 9:35 pm

I was headed past the trails on business so I took the mile detour to drive by and check conditions. The road is dry and I didn't see any snow left in the woods. Loop 3 is probably a cold muddy nightmare but heck.. when itsn't it? 1 and 2 looked OK to ride to me, but I only looked from the dirt road.

~update~

1 and 2 are great. not one patch of mud in either. 3 is good as well, but there are some deep pools in the swampy area.
laminatedfrog

Postby SlowPoke » April 10th, 2005, 9:30 pm

We did a night ride last night and a family ride today with the kids.
The first two sections are fine. The tail is slower because it is still covered with leaves and small branches.

The back section should be avoided. This is the section that is often wet and is east of the parking area.

Once you head east of the parking area you can ride to the second two track and then turn right, go down the two track about 200 feet and look for the trail on your right. This will bring you back to the parking area. By doing this you will avoid the wet area.
SlowPoke

Postby Gripshift » April 12th, 2005, 7:39 am

Hit BR over last weekend, as you might expect the back section is muddy and should not be ridden. The rest of the trail is good. Just watch out for people going the wrong way with their dogs. I was about ten seconds away from running into a guy on the one of the few small bumps out there.
Bikes are great! http://bmxmuseum.com/
Gripshift

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions