Western: Bass River

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby the_penalty_box » May 2nd, 2005, 4:16 pm

just wondering in the back section why isnt there a bypass if you dont want to do some of the stuff in the mud. Or why cant we build it up like burchfield with wooden bridges and stuff this way when it does rain that part of the trail
stays open ?
the_penalty_box

Postby Mike_D » May 2nd, 2005, 5:08 pm

the_penalty_box wrote:just wondering in the back section why isnt there a bypass if you dont want to do some of the stuff in the mud. Or why cant we build it up like burchfield with wooden bridges and stuff this way when it does rain that part of the trail
stays open ?

Very good question in fact there was talk at the last chapter meeting of doing exactly that with the ladder bridges although I am sure this would need to be approved with the state. The chapter also has carsonite trail signs that will be placed on the trail (if not already done so) this year.
Mike_D

Postby purple helmet » May 2nd, 2005, 5:09 pm

there is a small cutoff if you know where to look.

ask the guy with the clean bike.
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby Gripshift » May 27th, 2005, 7:43 am

I was out on te 24th and the trail was pretty good, though I skipped the back mud hole... Today I'll be going out there around 1 or so. I wonder if there's a way tanother mile or so could be added to this trail. If we could add another mile or two like the fast section you get into after cross the dirt road, that would be cool.

I've been going to br for about ten years, before two of the "back sections" were made. I even met Cecelia Potts there in "97", she was pretty cool and stopped to talk to us. It seems like this trail is getting a lot more use, by new riders and bc all other trails are an hour away from the shoreline. If we could add a couple miles that would be nice.

Gripshift :)
Bikes are great! http://bmxmuseum.com/
Gripshift

Postby Gripshift » May 29th, 2005, 10:53 am

I went out for a ride on 5/27. The weather was great and the bugs were out in full force. I met Sean the new CO for the BR area, he seems like a really nice guy. Sean said that lately, he has handed out a lot of maps to people new to the trail .

I did notice that some of the MMBA trail signs were broke off, maybe the signs have been like this for a while, but I just recently noticed. There also seems to be horses action on the designated bike trails, that's a disappointment given that horses can ride more places than bikers have to ride.
Gripshift

Postby Mike_D » June 7th, 2005, 8:46 am

Gripshift wrote:I did notice that some of the MMBA trail signs were broke off, maybe the signs have been like this for a while, but I just recently noticed.

I rode there last night (don't forget your bug spray boys and girls :shock: ) and was surprised that the new carsonite signs were not in place yet. I remember these signs were talked about at a chapter meeting in March or April. Not a big deal to me since I know the trail but new riders to the trail might wonder where to go and which direction to ride.

BTW - Watch on the 2nd loop for a 4-5" diameter tree that is about chest high and halfway across the trail that is down and wedged in the crotch of another tree. It is after the 2 consecutive log piles (I think). Slowpoke and I tried to put our combined weight into it to break it but it will require a saw.
Mike_D

Postby Gripshift » June 12th, 2005, 2:41 pm

I took my handsaw with me this afternoon and cut that tree that was sticking out. The trail should be in good shape. :D
Gripshift

Postby Mike_D » June 12th, 2005, 3:56 pm

Gripshift wrote:I took my handsaw with me this afternoon and cut that tree that was sticking out. The trail should be in good shape. :D

Kudos!!!
Mike_D

It's a mess today

Postby duotone » July 27th, 2005, 11:13 pm

I rode the bass today and it's a mess after the hard winds and rain yesterday. A tree fell across the first portion and you've got to dismount and lift your ride over a tree and 3-large branches. Oh, and it's wet and I was on my butt a time or two.
duotone

Large tree down

Postby motoweissen » July 31st, 2005, 2:38 pm

As the last post said, there's a large tree down on the south side of the road on the blue loop. It's about halfway out. It'll definately take a chain saw or two to clear that area. The best way around it is to pick up the bike and go over the tree right at the trail. Other than that, the trail was in excellent condition on the 29th! With the rain, the traction is like rubberized track!

I work in Grand Haven and live near Grand Rapids, this is becoming my favorite trail because I can easily hit it on the way home.
motoweissen

Re: Large tree down

Postby Gripshift » August 1st, 2005, 8:36 am

motoweissen wrote:As the last post said, there's a large tree down on the south side of the road on the blue loop. It's about halfway out. It'll definately take a chain saw or two to clear that area. The best way around it is to pick up the bike and go over the tree right at the trail. Other than that, the trail was in excellent condition on the 29th! With the rain, the traction is like rubberized track!

I work in Grand Haven and live near Grand Rapids, this is becoming my favorite trail because I can easily hit it on the way home.

Is there anyone who would like to meet out there to take care of that tree? :D
Gripshift

Tight

Postby BikerBandit » August 4th, 2005, 6:51 am

Rode Bass last night (Wed) and it is tight to begin with but even tighter now with the brush and tipped trees this time of year. Good run last night though ground is nice with only a few small soft spots.
BikerBandit

It's tight...

Postby duotone » August 4th, 2005, 9:06 am

Thanks to the person who cleared the tree. Nice work.

Now the other one is when you pass the second road, go up the small sandy hill, just as you're making the 180 degree turn the tree on its side is soo low that I can barely make it under (I'm 6'5"). One more inch and I'm on my butt.

Do I have the liberty to clear it? I don't want to do anything that's against the rules.

As mentioned above, it's tight with brush and is sandy due to a lack of water.
duotone

Re: It's tight...

Postby Mike_D » August 4th, 2005, 9:22 am

duotone wrote:Thanks to the person who cleared the tree. Nice work.

Now the other one is when you pass the second road, go up the small sandy hill, just as you're making the 180 degree turn the tree on its side is soo low that I can barely make it under (I'm 6'5"). One more inch and I'm on my butt.

Do I have the liberty to clear it? I don't want to do anything that's against the rules.

As mentioned above, it's tight with brush and is sandy due to a lack of water.

Get your butt behind the seat will help you get under it :D

The sandy part is nothing if you have ridden Cannonsburg SGA or Yankee lately. I rode Bass River last week and I wish all of the trails were as in good a shape as BR was in regards to the hard pack.
Mike_D

Postby duotone » August 4th, 2005, 9:26 am

I think I mis-communicated. Sand is not my issue, it's the tree and lack of clearence at the turn. I think BR is in great shape.
duotone

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions