MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby sumoe » May 16th, 2004, 7:35 am

Cook out would be great! Now, how should we go about doing this? What day, which direction, which roads?
There is nothing wrong with the world that a bicycle cannot fix...
sumoe

tree down

Postby Spinwheel » May 19th, 2004, 9:02 pm

Couple trees down - will get to them soon. Thanks for your patience and thanks to all the riders- your tracks are noted.

Selective weedwacking and pruning needed too. The rain \ sun combination is making the trail "skinny" in spots... Impromptue trailday anyone ? Next weekend may work.
Spinwheel

Trailday THIS SUNDAY- June 27th

Postby Spinwheel » June 23rd, 2004, 8:36 pm

We'll be out working the trail is THIS Sunday, June 27th - park at the trailhead by ball diamond #1.

Meet at 9:00 am... bring water, bug repellant, safety glasses, work gloves, rakes, tree pruners and weed wackers. If you get there late just listen for people and power tools... we'll be in the woods to the right of the trailhead.

Bring your bike and we'll cruise the trail after pizza...

If you're not racing Sunday come on out !

Tim & Shanman
Spinwheel

Nice Job

Postby Apps » July 1st, 2004, 6:14 am

I rode the trail last night for the first time ever. You guys are doing a great job clearing it out. I got a little disoriented once or twice due to some of the cross overs with the ATV stuff out there :oops: but I did manage to ride most of the trail. Conditions were real nice and it was alot of fun. Thanks for taking the time to take care of this place. I live about two miles from the trail head so I can get a nice little warm up/cool down ride in when heading to/from the trail and my house. Sorry I haven't come out and helped. I feel kind of bad since I live so close but I'll try and meet up with you guys one of these days.

Justin
(Yellow Gian Boulder SE from TreeFarm Tuesday Rides)
Apps

Postby Shanman » July 1st, 2004, 6:21 am

Glad to have you Justin. The more local riders the better. Hope we see you Monday. Not sure if we have met, be sure to introduce yourself next Tuesday.
Shanman

Postby Spinwheel » July 1st, 2004, 8:37 pm

Justin, I also live real close to the trail... and I know several others who do as well... good to hear you're enjoying the trail. 8) 8) Check out the map on the Trail Guide site ... did you find the section across the floating bridge?
==>> http://www.mmba.org/images/trails/HickoryGlenMap.pdf

Tim Slabach
Spinwheel

Postby old_nhjeffs » July 1st, 2004, 9:35 pm

Spinwheel wrote:Justin, I also live real close to the trail... and I know several others who do as well... good to hear you're enjoying the trail. 8) 8) Check out the map on the Trail Guide site ... did you find the section across the floating bridge?
==>> http://www.mmba.org/images/trails/HickoryGlenMap.pdf

Tim Slabach

I live off of Carroll Lake just north of Wise Rd. I try to get to Hickory Glen as often as possible.

I always get lost at this trail. I've been there a few times and I can never find my way all the way through the trail. I have to meet some of you experienced riders there and see the whole trail.

What is the "floating bridge"?

Jeff
old_nhjeffs

Postby Apps » July 2nd, 2004, 8:11 am

Spinwheel,

I didn't get to do the portion after the floating bridge unfortunately. I'm going back out there this AM and will try and do as much of the trail as I can. At least I know where I went wrong last time and won't make that mistake again :D I live off of Newton near Commerce Rd and ride down Newton to the Nature Trail after the Conservation club. Cut through the trail there and then head over to the bike path on Oakley Park. I was amazed at how high that floating bridge was after the heavy rains we had a few weeks ago. I had never seen it that high and it's still up there a bit.

nhjeffs,

If you want to get together one night and try and ride the trail, let me know. I'm going to be doing some riding this weekend and could be up for a run down there since it's so close to my place...that's a great convenience to have. PM me.

Well...i'm off to ride...

Apps
Apps

Postby Spinwheel » July 2nd, 2004, 1:14 pm

What is the "floating bridge"?

The floating bridge is the one made of PVC (plastic) and - check it out, it actually floats on the river !!!
Spinwheel

Postby Apps » July 2nd, 2004, 3:51 pm

Well...I managed to do the section after the floating bridge this morning. There's a tree down across the path about 3/4's of the way through...looks like someone cut it down....After that short diversion, I headed to the trail head and started riding from there. I once again managed to get turned around but I think I finally found the full path through. I did end up doing some off the path stuff by following the ATV tracks and ended up in independence park! well...after that I went back and found my error and finished the ride. Regardless...I had quite a bit of fun and managed to get a decent work out in as well. Pretty cool I have to admit though that I do find it kind of odd to see some of the stuff out there....an old stove? what looks like a chunck of asphalt in the middle of the trail in awhat appeared to be a pretty wooded area? 3 car tires complete with rims?

As far as trail conditions go, things were real dry except for one real low area that still was a bit of a quagmire. IT's only 10ft worth of trail so it's probably not worth mentioning but it's still there. There were a couple face slappers out there as well...I took down one or two but I'll have to catch the others next time.....

Apps
Apps

Postby Apps » July 2nd, 2004, 3:52 pm

Well...I managed to do the section after the floating bridge this morning. There's a tree down across the path about 3/4's of the way through...looks like someone cut it down....After that short diversion, I headed to the trail head and started riding from there. I once again managed to get turned around but I think I finally found the full path through. I did end up doing some off the path stuff by following the ATV tracks and ended up in independence park! well...after that I went back and found my error and finished the ride. Regardless...I had quite a bit of fun and managed to get a decent work out in as well. Pretty cool I have to admit though that I do find it kind of odd to see some of the stuff out there....an old stove? what looks like a chunck of asphalt in the middle of the trail in awhat appeared to be a pretty wooded area? 3 car tires complete with rims?

As far as trail conditions go, things were real dry except for one real low area that still was a bit of a quagmire. IT's only 10ft worth of trail so it's probably not worth mentioning but it's still there. There were a couple face slappers out there as well...I took down one or two but I'll have to catch the others next time.....

The floating bridge is on the paved portion of the bike path that runs through the park...if you take it towards Oakley Park it'll be the first bridge you come to.

Apps
Apps

Postby sumoe » July 2nd, 2004, 5:33 pm

Apps wrote: Pretty cool I have to admit though that I do find it kind of odd to see some of the stuff out there....an old stove? what looks like a chunck of asphalt in the middle of the trail in awhat appeared to be a pretty wooded area? 3 car tires complete with rims?

Apps

The stove is the "Burner" section, and the tires are "Sumoe's Tire Garden"...just using what is already there to decorate the trail a bit.... You missed the old washing machine..."Spin Cycle". :shock:
sumoe

Postby Spinwheel » July 2nd, 2004, 10:27 pm

The stove is the "Burner" section, and the tires are "Sumoe's Tire Garden"...just using what is already there to decorate the trail a bit.... You missed the old washing machine..."Spin Cycle". :shock

Sumoe you crack me up!!! Hey , what about the Farmer's Dump and the Seaweed PIT???
Spinwheel

Postby old_nhjeffs » July 3rd, 2004, 3:47 am

sumoe wrote:
Apps wrote: Pretty cool I have to admit though that I do find it kind of odd to see some of the stuff out there....an old stove? what looks like a chunck of asphalt in the middle of the trail in awhat appeared to be a pretty wooded area? 3 car tires complete with rims?

Apps

The stove is the "Burner" section, and the tires are "Sumoe's Tire Garden"...just using what is already there to decorate the trail a bit.... You missed the old washing machine..."Spin Cycle". :shock:

I've seen the old appliances out there. Here you are cruising through the woods on a a path wide enough for you riding a bike and here sits these big heavy appliances out in the woods. It's amazing that people could get them that far into the woods. Seems like alot of work to throw something away. :)
old_nhjeffs

Postby sumoe » July 3rd, 2004, 7:32 am

We also had "Beer Bottle Alley", but the bottles have disappeared!
sumoe

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions