MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

Postby bikerector » May 19th, 2018, 10:26 pm

I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and take a look in the morning and then figure out if I have the right tools, depending on the size(s). Didn't get out with today's rain. Suppose I could load up the car and bring a bunch of stuff with and carry it in but as I only live a few miles away I'll try to ride what I can and spot check. Not sure how things will look after today's rain.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby bikerector » May 20th, 2018, 10:27 am

I decide to hike in and trimmed back some of the trail in reverse direction. Looks like someone cleared the widow maker unless I didn't get far enough in but there was one sawed out that looked like what was described.

Trail is in damp but good condition. I didn't come across any mud or really soft spots this morning in the last mile and half or so that I walked. Most of the trail should be good riding from what I saw and it looked like there were fresh tracks from yesterday or this morning.
bikerector

Postby jreyst » May 20th, 2018, 9:19 pm

I cleared all remaining down trees except the really big one in Disney tonight fyi
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2016 Giant Trance 3
Winter: 2018 Specialized Fatboy
Backup: 2007 Giant Trance I
jreyst

Postby ihateplaindave » May 21st, 2018, 8:59 am

Thank you.
ihateplaindave

Postby bikerector » May 24th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Is the big tree still there? Is that the 18" one mentioned earlier? I think I'll be able to take care of that Saturday morning if it's still there, getting out the big saw if I have to.
bikerector

Postby jreyst » May 24th, 2018, 9:08 pm

The big one is more like 2-3' in diameter in the middle of Disney. It will need a chainsaw and several people to move it most likely.
--
John Reyst
jreyst

Postby amadkins » May 30th, 2018, 8:15 am

Big tree still on Disney.

Hero dirt this morning (5/30) at 0630. Rode it backwards and collected a few pounds of webs from various creatures.
amadkins

Postby Hudnut » May 30th, 2018, 1:51 pm

I think this tree is big enough for a re-route. problem is that the best route I can figure would eliminate the 3 log feature.
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Postby bikerector » June 1st, 2018, 8:54 pm

I finally made it out to the trail to assess the large fallen tree. I think I have a saw big enough to get 1/3 of the way through the tree.

I have a plan to take off the top 1/3 or so with a large-ish crosscut saw and try and smooth it flat with a woodworking axe I have from a different hobby. I think this would prep it to make it an easier transition into a rideable log pile, much of the wood could be scavenged from the top portion of the tree lying down trail. I'm thinking something like a 3' wide flat, cut into the tree in a few places, wedge out the pieces so I can actually move them, and then flatten it as needed to provide safe travel for a log pile.

Does anyone see any problem with this? I'm hoping to get out a daylight tomorrow so I don't interfere with riders, hikers, etc. since it would be unsafe to use stated tools with too many people around (not that I expect a ton of traffic but it is the weekend). I'm also not big into onlookers but that's just me being self-concious when I'm getting all lumberjack in the city areas.

P.S. trail was great before the heavy rain we had for a short amount of time. I suspect it will be good tomorrow if it stays dry tonight with a few wet spots from pooling water. A lot came down fast but it left as quickly as it came and the ground has been thirsty.
bikerector

Postby jreyst » June 1st, 2018, 9:53 pm

What about sawing it halfway through lengthwise to make a long (wide) skinny instead of another log pile?
--
John Reyst
jreyst

Postby bikerector » June 1st, 2018, 10:01 pm

jreyst wrote:What about sawing it halfway through lengthwise to make a long (wide) skinny instead of another log pile?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for, mostly because of the orientation. Since it's fallen right across the trail it seemed like a log pile was the easy way to get around a re-route or completely removing a section. If I'm understanding you right, you want it cut with a flat top so you could ride it down to the section below?

I think you could technically do both, assuming I'm understanding you right. Log pile on top of log, ride the flattened log to the trail below.

Here's an example I found with google of what I'm thinking of doing

And this is what I think you're saying
bikerector

Postby bikerector » June 1st, 2018, 10:06 pm

Or this, but with a lot more log and more work as it looks like it has cross boards too.

bikerector

Postby bikerector » June 2nd, 2018, 10:05 am

I got carried away and just finished the whole thing. Since I've never done this type of thing in this manner, some things I think we may want to look out for:

The backside is all wood chips, not sure how that will work over time.
I didn't have a shovel for dirt but I did put 4 stakes in front of the logs in the front to keep them in place.
There are more logs I cut to the left of the log pile in case we need them as things settle or if the pile of wood chips starts to degrade.

It's 100% rideable, I rode it 4 times for good measure and for the self-satisfaction. I believe I also watched the first group of the milford bikefest or whatever the mtb tour thing is going on today and they were excited about it.

I also cleaned up some of the limbs down trail.

And to show off the work because I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out without using any non-powered equipment (part of my other hobby).

And to get the bike in there for good measure
bikerector

Postby jreyst » June 2nd, 2018, 11:49 am

Yeah I was thinking sawing off the top half lengthwise for X distance to make it rideable as a sort of skinny, but what you did looks great either way. AND that much cutting would be a S-ton of work so I think you got a great solution. I'm looking forward to my next trip to the Hick. Any news from anyone on getting the bridge connecting the new section yet?
--
John Reyst
jreyst

Postby mahfouz » June 4th, 2018, 3:16 pm

I know Hickory is one of the faster drying trails but would it be good to go tonight?
mahfouz

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions