MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

Postby nhjeffs » April 4th, 2019, 5:01 pm

There is a monster tree down but I can't remember where.

I took care of the couple of widow makers in the bonus loop off of Glengary.
Jeff

nhjeffs

Postby crustaceous_flora » April 4th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Is the bonus loop a part of the Hickory Glen Strava segment/is it easy to find just following the normal signage? I've only rode this trail a few times and followed the numbered signs haha
crustaceous_flora

Postby nhjeffs » April 5th, 2019, 6:21 am

I don't do strava so have no idea. The entry to it is just east of the Wolverine Lake *beep* on Glengary.
Jeff

nhjeffs

Postby jreyst » April 5th, 2019, 12:02 pm

The only real access to the new segment is via Glengary road. See the image linked below. The bridge was planned to be where the black x mark is.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fbsmMrEXajjpCdSg8
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2016 Giant Trance 3
Winter: 2018 Specialized Fatboy
Backup: 2007 Giant Trance I
jreyst

Postby bikerector » April 5th, 2019, 3:43 pm

I believe someone is planning to get a chainsaw out there today or tomorrow for the big tree, there was a discussion on the SE trails facebook page about it. If it's still there next week, I'll see if I can handle it.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby bikerector » April 20th, 2019, 12:38 pm

If someone wanted to try and trim back the mess of vines near the end of the main section, a little bit after the large log pile and before hitting the pavement leading into the smaller sections, would that mess up the "feel of the trail" or would that be a reasonable way to limit how much those vines stretch across the trail during the summer? I cut it back a little yesterday as some of the vines had moved into the trail and thought to myself that it might not be horrible to trim it back more to prevent the repetitive upkeep of trimming the vine shoots that come out during the spring and summer.

But, I know the trail is known for being a bit tight and very green in the summer, and wouldn't want to negatively affect that feel. I would also worry that the vines may be supporting some of the dead trees at this point, so taking the vines off at the ground might let some of the dead branches and such loose.

For reference, this is the start of the section I'm talking about.

bikerector

Postby Loren » April 20th, 2019, 2:52 pm

I think that's largely poison ivy.

My opinion: Kill it. Kill it all.
Loren

Postby bikerector » April 20th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Loren wrote:I think that's largely poison ivy.

My opinion: Kill it. Kill it all.

There is a lot of other stuff in there, but getting to it before the juices come up from the roots is the best time, and that's any time now. I clear a lot of poison ivy and wild grape vine around my property during the winter and spring and the trees have started looking a lot better after a season or two without competition from the vines. I'm pretty sure the vines will grow back since the roots are still there but it keeps them a lot smaller and more manageable year to year.

I have a pretty short workweek next week and some short days so if I get the go-ahead to start lopping stuff off, I'll get out there and start cleaning some of it up and drag it further off the trail.
bikerector

Postby Spinwheel » April 20th, 2019, 10:36 pm

Highly unlikely it's poison ivy....it doesn't grow like that.
It's Oriental Bittersweet...pull it up by the roots - they'll be orange. This stuff is all over the park and in some places it's killed all the trees in various areas. If you cut it, it will grow back. Best pulled up by the roots.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

Postby Loren » April 21st, 2019, 8:00 pm

Yup, you're probably right. Poison ivy can grow in big thick vines up trees, but the vines are usually hairy and these look smooth. I'm so sensitive that I probably over identify, and still end up on steroids a couple times a year.

Regardless, kill it. Kill it all.
Loren

Postby bikerector » April 23rd, 2019, 2:22 pm

I ordered a tool specific for vine removal this morning (had one before but it was stolen). I will try to get out there at the end of the work week or this weekend.

I'm not sure on digging and pulling up roots for fear of tearing up the landscape more, and leaving holes but I'll bring some digging implements and see how it goes. I may. I can't say it will be perfect but it should open that area up a little and hopefully push the vines back enough that some of the other foliage can take up space and drown the vines out after a couple years. At least slow them down, that's really what I think I will achieve with the effort.
bikerector

Postby jreyst » April 24th, 2019, 11:23 am

Trail day at Hick today at 4!
--
John Reyst
jreyst

Postby bikerector » April 24th, 2019, 7:08 pm

Sorry I had to miss it, wife had an unexpected guest over. Please post up if there's work left that can be picked away at this weekend or next week. I have some vacay and plan to ride and hike there a bit, weather permitting.

Thanks for the work jreyst and anyone else who was able to make it out.
bikerector

Postby jreyst » April 24th, 2019, 7:48 pm

I was there, Mike & Sara, Carl, Rocky and a few others. We did almost whole trail clearing deadfall, chainsawing some minor irritants, and resetting tread throughout. Not much left to do until the face slappers start getting into full growth mode. Go ride before the rain!
--
John Reyst
jreyst

Postby Spinwheel » April 24th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Loren wrote:Yup, you're probably right. Poison ivy can grow in big thick vines up trees, but the vines are usually hairy and these look smooth. I'm so sensitive that I probably over identify, and still end up on steroids a couple times a year.

Regardless, kill it. Kill it all.

Loren is right about respecting poison ivy - learned my lesson after a hospital visit from a bad case a while back...

If the vines are not hairy - its very likely Oriental Bittersweet and will have bright orange roots.
See you on the trail
Spinwheel

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions