Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby bill_m » June 8th, 2006, 12:22 pm

It is indeed time to start mowing. We should be getting started on it this weekend. Please feel free to take a walk with some loppers if you have a free moment. Anything that would whack you in the face can be cut back as far as possible. Pretty much everything in Olson park is invasive, so don't be shy.

Also, don't miss the Ann Arbor Trail Workday on 6/24. 9:30 am. Meet at Bandemere Park just off of Barton Drive.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Olson

Postby Elno Lewis » June 26th, 2006, 7:05 am

Not very challenging (no Hills) but a nice little technical practice ride. Rode it June 25--a little overgrown in places.

At Platt Rd. and Ellsworth Rd in A2 is Lillie Park, got some nice, unchallenging trails through there. Close to my home, so I get over there a lot. Beginner MB's will love it.
Palmdale! Come back to me!
I need you and I love you!
Elno Lewis

Overgrown Olson

Postby bikehappy » June 29th, 2006, 2:42 pm

I rode the trail last evening. I enjoyed zipping through the high crown vetch. Yes, the trial is overgrown, but I think it makes it even more fun.
BikeHappy
bikehappy

Postby KatieKate81 » August 17th, 2006, 3:55 pm

I'm hoping to get out and try this trail this weekend, anyone been lately? I'm a beginner, just rode Maybury the other day and loved it! Is this anywhere near what Maybury is?
KatieKate81

Postby gregL » August 17th, 2006, 11:11 pm

I'm hoping to get out and try this trail this weekend, anyone been lately? I'm a beginner, just rode Maybury the other day and loved it! Is this anywhere near what Maybury is?

The trail is currently in great condition. I would say it is a little easier than Maybury... flatter, but similarly tight turns. It's a little shorter too, so you may want to do some sections multiple times. The Murray Lake trail in Brighton is another fun trail that is similar in difficulty to Maybury.
gregL

Trail

Postby tcb » August 22nd, 2006, 8:49 am

I went to the trail last night with some friends, It went by fairy easy, we took quite a few of the different colored routes. It was overgrown in a few parts but nothing too bad. I did run into a thorn bush, other than that it was a good ride.
tcb

Postby sisu » September 15th, 2006, 4:59 pm

2 bridge issues today. The short bridge on the M-14 trail was moved to the side for some reason. Maybe all the runoff just moved it, but it looked like the work of human hands. I didn't move it back in case it was that way for a reason. No disturbances with the longer bridge under the overpass. (and even with all the recent rain, that bridge is nicely above water)

Then the ladder bridge in the Leslie Park trail was gone. I spotted it downstream and hauled it back into place. Dang, if runoff in the creek moved that bridge, the water level sure was high!

Olson park did ok, the southern end of the park where the trail is in the woods is still pretty wet and muddy, not draining very quickly there. But no huge puddles or anything.
sisu
Administrator

A medium sized tree down on Olson Park trail......

Postby bluebellknoll » September 17th, 2006, 1:44 am

blocks the trail. Will probably need several people to move it, or sawed off.
Also, the metal ladder on one of the AA loop trails (not Olson Park) between Olson Park and Pontiac trails is very unstable due to the rain. Better to just walk over the small stream.
bluebellknoll

Postby bill_m » September 28th, 2006, 11:15 am

I am calling a workday for this Saturday 9/30 at 10 am to fix the bridge issues. We will reapair the following:

:arrow: Move the boardwalk sections over the creek just off of Whitmore Lake Road and anchor them with re-bar.

:arrow: Place a pre-built new bridge over the creek between Huron River Drive and Bandemere Park.

:arrow: Replace the metal ladder with a pre-built new bridge. As much as I like the old skinny bridge, the creek banks are now missing and it simply is not long enough. We will anchor the new bridge with re-bar and hopefully prevent another washout.

Meet at the Bandemere Parking lot just off of Whitmore Lake/Barton Drive.

bill_m

Postby scat silvurz » October 5th, 2006, 9:40 pm

I rode the park last week - and tried out my new GPS on my bike - this is how the park shaped up via Google Earth....pretty cool, I'd say....

and the rest of the AA loop I rode that day - I think I have a new toy!

Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby HappyHelmet » October 5th, 2006, 9:55 pm

I see you skipped the Bluffs, Scat. And, you MAMA'd on that rock-jump at NEAP! GPS don't lie! :D :D :D

Pretty cool. We should do a 'hit every piece of trail in town' ride some weekend and see what that looks like!
Eric
HappyHelmet

Postby scat silvurz » October 5th, 2006, 10:17 pm

yeah yeah yeah.....the GIRLS were getting low blood sugar at Kubler-Langford :lol: , so we turned around before we got to the m14 underpass to go Bluffing....but, we made up for it by aborting the ride and hitting ABC for some good grub and BEER!

AND NO, I NAILED THE ROCK JUMP !

good idea Eric - I got a hard mount for the GPS on the bike, so I think it will be coming along for the ride/s.....

Lastly, I'm really suprised that AA has finally been updated....before, everything was very fuzzy and out of date, but now they have the updated Sat photos, that were taken last winter of 2005/6.....if you go to Google Earth and scroll around you can clearly see snowy areas and frozen ponds, but adjacent are the older summertime satellite photos...it's so cool living on such a planet!
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby bill_m » October 6th, 2006, 2:04 pm

Scott, you and I have some work to do. Riding work that is 8)
bill_m

Postby bhollen666 » October 8th, 2006, 7:07 pm

Rode through it today with a friend for the first time this year. We started with the yellow trail but I thought that we were going the wrong way. When we looked at the sign it showed that we had gone the wrong way, but then I noticed some other markings that you made, Bill, during the trail day last year. The new markings are the correct ones, right? The signs then are wrong for the yellow trail.
bhollen666

Postby RockhopperA2 » October 15th, 2006, 8:34 pm

Should problems for all of the A2 trails be posted here, or just NE park?
I'm not changing this sig until I do the ridge trail completely clean.
RockhopperA2

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions